Touch the net when hitting the shuttle

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by aliana albab, Jun 29, 2018.

1. aliana albab

aliana albab New Member

I need some clarification here, my question is as the tittle above. I know it's fault when you hit the net during a rally but what about this situation when we try to retrieve the shuttle when your opponent drop the shuttle near the net at my side and you try to lift it but then the racket hit the net while hitting the shuttle. Is it fault or not?

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

The rules are very simple: If you hit the the net - for whatever reason - during play, that's a fault:

Any fault ends play, so the only way it wouldn't be your fault is that something else occurred before. For instance, if another player touches the net before you, that's their fault and the rally (what the rules call play) is over immediately.

With the shuttle close to the net, one such fault could be the shuttle touching the net on the opponent's side and starting to drop (§15.1). But since the shuttle went over to your side, that is inapplicable here.

Congratulate your opponent for playing such a great shot; as you've found out, shuttles that come down close to the net are extra hard to play because you must never touch the net.

aliana albab likes this.