TotalEnergies BWF Sudirman Cup Finals 2023: Knockout Stage (19-21 May)

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by Michael V, May 18, 2023.

1. felipe

felipe Regular Member

finance
    Th

2. felipe

felipe Regular Member

finance
    A hater here that I am referring is a Chinese hater lol
    Your comment is often discrediting Chinese team and hoping them to lose and feel so upset when China team won the match

3. feifeichen

feifeichen Regular Member

it's just a fun thing because they also did the same thing in 2021&2019, kinda like a tradition.
    They are 100% pure teammates and good friends

Sent from my Mi 10 using Tapatalk

magnumcyclonex likes this.
  4. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Yes, thank you.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Personally, I agree with Nilesh 70% and Cheung 30% - two or even three consecutive days of tough matches is more or less the norm for any world-class players; physically ,I believe, it shouldn't affect their physique that much but mentally maybe a little bit more if, for example, the previous grueling encounter is a close shave. Besides, how many teams have the luxury to rest their top players in a team championship for lack of a viable alternative?

I'm afraid you just have to make the best of what you have, not to mention most of the teams' top players are not fielded for every match in the preliminary group stage. If it's standard practice for any world-class player to routinely handle five matches, or six as in the world championships, to win a tournament, then that's what you're expected to do in the team events as well.

Also, realistically speaking, let's not forget, by the Semifinals and/or Finals stage, the two sides would probably be fielding their respective best players, regardless how physically stretched their picks might be, unless they are clearly off form.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Me too, I thought I misheard the commentator. When and where did this KOR MS Lee Yun Gyu beat Loh Kean Yew , anyone knows?

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No, they aren't an item, it's just a fun thing which was started by Jia Yifan in one of the previous team championships won by China (TUC/Sudirman Cups, can't remember which event/edition). As far as I know, while browsing for some badminton news a year or so ago when I came across a piece of news by chance saying SYQ has a love interest, not yet going steady, still courting,she's not in the national team, just a badminton enthusiast, indeed she's a real beauty. I may be wrong though.

magnumcyclonex likes this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Indeed, Chen Yufei demonstrated sheer willpower coupled with maturity and experience to outlast and outplay An Se Young in the final today.

Even Shi Yuqi displayed similar traits throughout this tournament to a considerable extent, somewhat unexpected and caught me by surprise, especially in the tie against JPN when CHN started 0-1 down after Feng YZ/Huang DP lost the opening match and he himself dropped the opening set to Kodai Naraoka.

We could see that both Xia XZ and Sun Jun were visibly pleased with his performance after he had bested Ginting and K Naraoka whilst during the match intervals , the two coaches appeared a bit concerned as they took turns to drive home their points to him. In the end, all's well that ends well in this all-important mixed team championship since his return to competition about a year ago.

Suilven and magnumcyclonex like this.
  9. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    In the Asia team championships earlier this year

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Admittedly, and it's no exaggeration, to quote @Banuka, "Zhang jun must be relieved. Liu Yuchen and Ou Xuanyi saved him."

For me, Ou Xuanyi's impact is even greater than Liu Yuchen's as the latter is known to be one who often steadied the ship during their matches.

Personally, I'd go so far as to say that the entire CHN team, players and coaches altogether, ought to line up and thank OXY in person. I mean, for OXY to be one of the two who played a pivotal role in snatching victory from the jaws of defeat in that critical do-or-die MD match is almost beyond my expectation coming from him, knowing how he would fare at crucial moments and pressure situations thus far in his career.

Once again, kudos to Ou Xuanyi !

Suilven likes this.
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To be fair, the increased pressure in a must-win final match for An Se Young where the fate of the entire KOR Team hangs in the balance must have inevitably affected her nerves more than usual, and hence her performance as well; therefore, I must say ASY acquitted herself admirably despite defeat.

All the more so when Chen Yufei's pressure was presumably no less as she had already lost to Akane in the semifinal and , once again in the final, she was picked to take the helm against another equally formidable opponent, is certainly not an enviable position to be in as , I believe, she would loathe to suffer yet another defeat in an even more important trophy-deciding encounter - and, boy, she rose to the occasion in style, playing above herself.

That in itself also contributed in no small measure to ASY's mounting pressure , having to face both the exceptionally challenging situation itself and an opponent more determined than ever and played like a woman inspired. The final outcome no doubt speaks volumes of both the victor and the vanquished.

kwun, nizze, tbgoh288 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Look like most of the top Chinese players who played here are not playing in malaysia, interesting considering the rest of the countries will be.

14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Wikipedia still havent have Malaysia Master thread hmm

15. lurker

lurker Regular Member

sounds like a well deserved rest

16. Justafan90

Now that this is over, i do believe china deserved the win even if it was so close against Japan. ZSW/HYQ mentality is amazing, they are so strong, they can comeback no matter how far behind they are. But to me the stars of the team are SYQ and LYC/OXY, without them, they would not have won.

17. baddiechan

baddiechan Regular Member

China have kept the trend of winning 3-0 whenever the Sudirman Cup is on home ground. In total they won straight matches 9 out of the 13 victories and 6 of those 9 were in China. They didn't mess around with their player selections - Lu Guang Zu and a few of the women didn't even need to play lol

I have to go with ZSW/HYQ and SYQ for MVPs, playing most of the matches and not losing any of them - dependable even if they underperformed to usual standard. LYC/OXY did well mentally but I see that as a huge blunder by Hoki and Kobayashi cracking in an advantageous position. Wasting the challenge with 3 match points left and losing by sending it out on the far back line repeatedly.

#457 baddiechan, May 23, 2023
    Last edited: May 23, 2023
  18. Justafan90

I do agree that ZSW/HYQ mentality is extremely strong. They definitely did not play as well as they usually do but are able to wake up at critical moments. That’s expected though the main pair in the chinese team. I think SYQ is back to his best and if he can maintain it, he will be able to get back to at least top 3 soon. LYC was just amazing at steadying the ship and guiding OXY, who knows, china might have won more easily if LWK/WC was playing but we will never know.

19. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Oyeah

Of course
    And I am not afraid to say that out loud :D:D:D

20. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    True thats why Bronze and Gold medalists are always happy cause they have the sense of working hard and achievening something whereas Silver is likr a curse given to the best loser.