TOTAL BWF World Championships 2019 : SEMIFINAL & FINAL (24-25 August)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Aug 23, 2019.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

NEW CHAMP, THREE TO EXTEND, ONE REGAINS
    Japan nails two titles through men's doubles and men's singles who defending their crown, Pusarla Sindhu creates new history for India while Indonesia veterans clinch third World Championships and China secures mixed doubles triumphant.

FINALLY SINDHU!
    Experiencing numerous final setback previously, Pusarla Sindhu proves herself that she's capable to achieve something big in her career. The Indian mega star surpassed the most difficult hurdle en route to bag this coveted gold medal, Tai Tzu Ying at quarterfinal then growing confidence for Sindhu to outplay Chen Yu Fei in semifinal. And her culmination exploited in grand final, outmaneuvering arch-rival Nozomi Okuhara who looked so frustrated, almost crying and helplessly. The different Sindhu with shots variation plus powerful attacking smash and her good court coverage making her one class above Okuhara, 21-7 / 21-7. Korean coach Kim Ji Hyun really transforming her protege to be better and more complete player.

TOP OF THE WORLD
    The unexpected circumstances occurs in men's singles last round, an anticlimax feat by Anders Antonsen. The young Dane who stated he's very tired failed to deliver best effort instead of succumbed meekly to title-holder Momota. The Japanese trailed briefly at early stage of opening game but thereafter badminton fans witnessing the world number one superiority to dictate entire match as Antonsen producing tons of errors, 21-9 / 21-3, a horrible scoreline and the most one sided final showdown in world championships history. Kento Momota mirrors the step of three Chinese players who wins back to back world titles, an important morale boost for the Japanese ace after grim chapter in Nanning last May.

ROLE MODEL
    A truly dedication and sustaining passion by Ahsan/Setiawan have brought them to be the best pair in Basel world meet. They're really deserved to be role model for young generation. Their vintage style with high quality shots tame the stubborn and high spirited Japanese underdogs Hoki/Kobayashi, a very close contest at the beginning as the Indonesian seal the first set, 25-23 then the Japanese pair speed up the tempo to force deciding game, 21-9. Quick rebound at deciding game, Ahsan/Setiawan didn't allow many chances for Hoki/Kobayashi to develop their game plan and maintain their focus until the end, 21-15. Fourth world crown for Hendra Setiawan, a perfect gift on his 35th birthday yesterday.

HAT-TRICK ROUT
    A sad ending for Fukushima/Hirota to taste bitter pill in a row to repeat Glasgow 2017 and Nanjing 2018 story. Starting passive in opening set, losing out 11-21 FukuHiro took second game narrowly, 22-20 and the most interesting part of this duel happened in third game, trailing behind 15-20 the world number three combination grabbed six consecutive points and hold match point but defending champs Matsumoto/Nagahara back at right time to grab three crucial points and prolonging their victory in Basel.

CHINA HERO
    As expected defending champion Zheng SW/Huang YQ demonstrating outstanding performance to subdue Thailand challengers, nothing much to do by Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai to stem the mighty duo relentless fast furious attacking style with monstrous speed, 21-8 / 21-12 to continue their utmost supremacy. A sigh of relief for China camp to reject annihilation status but still an awful conclusion for badminton giant China, echoing 1993 Birmingham and 1995 Lausanne one title result.

Overall, the first and last matches offering most entertaining final to watch as the remaining three ties present disappointing show. XXVI World Championships will return on 2021 in Spain :)

PoLLuX, wade, badmuse and 2 others like this.
  2. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

i think this trend has started since 2017. Before that ms usually last

3. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Thank you so much for the link my bro....though from Heart Im Half Indian Half Chinese and Half Japanese due to my sister Sindhu being Indian and three brothers SYQ/Li/Liu being Chinese and two sisters Fuku/Rota being Japanese :D

But I have a few INA players I like and see great potential in..My Hope is to see GMT repeating what the Great Madam Yulianti did when she stunned the world being No.11 and took that Olympic Bronze and made sure her Great Indonesian flag flew high Oh that feeling..Reading about that now I get goosebumps she is my all time favourite stories..I wonder why INA dont make a movie on her ?

If GMT repeats what Madam Yulianti did at OG you will be reading a lot of my fight Posts for INA Media too in 2020 :D

4. minions

minions Regular Member

Oh, speaking about movie, it has been made for Susi Susanti. I think it will be released soon.

I will just wait what INA team can do for the upcoming OG. Anything can happen.

Anks likes this.
  5. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Oh yess I saw the trailer but is there an english version of it or subtitles ?
    Why INA directors dont realize that once an athlete gets Olympic Gold or World Champion Gold she or he is no more Only INA player She is the GLOBAL PLAYER and fans like me who yearn to see that movie are unable to now :(

Im sorry but being a Lover of the Ellegant everyshining ballerina is not Only Indonesian she is GLOBAL ICON and we the global fans and youngsters who grew up reading about her and seeing those goosebumpin videos of her masterclass DESERVE AN ENGLISH movie.

Plz gimme link if you get it in english...I wana watch the movie so bad..even if you have the subtittle link plz send me Please Please !!

Its no.1 Priority to watch that Movie !

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Momota, Nagahara, Matsumoto become Japan's 1st repeat badminton world champs
    https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...to-become-japans-1st-repeat-world-champs.html

[​IMG] KYODO NEWS - 3 hours ago - 09:47 | Sports, Japan, All

[​IMG]

Kento Momota, and women's doubles pair Wakana Nagahara and Mayu Matsumoto became the first Japanese to repeat as badminton world champions on Sunday.

On the final day of the world championships, Nagahara and Matsumoto made history by defending the women's doubles title they won last year in China. The top seeds beat compatriots Yuki Fukushima and Sayaka Hirota 21-11, 20-22, 23-21 in 1 hour, 25 minutes in the day's first final.

[​IMG]

Momota, the top men's singles seed, had little trouble with Denmark's Anders Antonsen, beating the fifth seed in 37 minutes 21-9, 21-3, and won all six of his matches without losing a single game to match his compatriots in the record book.

"I'm incredibly happy," Momota said. "It's been a very tough road since training camp, but I was able to endure a very hard training regimen by staying focused on my desire to win no matter what."

Antonsen had been the only player to take a game off Momota at last year's worlds and had defeated Olympic champion Chen Long of China in the quarterfinals.

[​IMG]

Last year, Nagahara and Matsumoto trailed 18-13 in the third game of the women's doubles final to Fukushima and Hirota but came from behind to win. This time the defending champs led 20-15 before surrendering six-straight points to face match point.

"When we got to 20 points and the championship was within our grasp, I tightened up," Nagahara said. "When they won the 21st point, I was able to shake it off and play well."

Fukushima and Hirota have now finished runners-up in three straight world championships.

Nozomi Okuhara, aiming to add the 2019 world championship to her 2017 crown, was wiped out in two games by India's Pusarla V. Sindhu 21-7, 21-7. At the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics, Sindhu defeated Okuhara in their semifinal and went on to win the silver medal.

At the 2017 worlds the two had battled for nearly two hours, before Okuhara prevailed in the final.

"I was expecting another long difficult match," said Okuhara, who was instead brushed aside in 38 minutes.

"The finals are an amazing stage upon which to play. Both the results and my play were lame. This is extremely frustrating."

It was Sindhu's first championship after two runner-up finishes and two third places.

In the final event of these worlds, Japan's Takuro Hoki and Yugo Kobayashi lost to Indonesia's Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan in the men's doubles final 25-23, 9-21, 21-15.

With the two golds and three silvers, and a bronze in mixed doubles, the country's first world podium finish in that category, Japan finished the worlds with at least one medal in each of the five draws and six medals overall -- equaling the nation's record medal haul from last year.

IN PHOTOS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Kento Momota)

[​IMG]
    (Nozomi Okuhara)

[​IMG]
    (India's Pusarla V. Sindhu, right)

[​IMG]
    (Mayu Matsumoto, foreground, and Wakana Nagahara)

[​IMG]
    (Nagahara and Matsumoto celebrate after defeating compatriots Yuki Fukushima and Sayaka Hirota)

[​IMG]
    (Takuro Hoki, left, and Yugo Kobayashi)

[​IMG]
    (Hoki, right, and Kobayashi)

Related coverage:

Badminton: Top seed Akane Yamaguchi suffers opening upset at worlds

Badminton: Momota, Yamaguchi seal historic triumphs at Japan Open

nilesh123, kurako and It'sMeMeMe like this.
  7. minions

minions Regular Member

Hmm, I don't think there will be an English version of it. The target is largely for Indonesian. If you wish to discuss more, you can PM with me.

Anks likes this.
  8. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Oh thats a pitty....Thanks for your info bro

9. vozer here

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It's painfully obvious who's being biased and hypocrite.

Anything always about Kevin even though nobody ever mentioned him, maybe they actually love him but just too shy to show it.

SpursIndonesia and Yoji like this.
  11. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Two Badminton Queens also happen to be the Best friends out of court.Also not many know CM and PVS never hug any other player at practise or outside in arena but Each other.They always hug and talk to each other before any matches if they are in the arena together.

I remember everytime CM comes to India she and PVS go with high security Shoppin at malls and enjoy and also how CM dresses in Indian attires that her Friend PVS choses for her...I love this.

Also do you know even their Mothers are each other friends and CM's mom was cheering for Sindhu at Semi Finals Olympic against NO lolz

Thats the kind of examples we need in Badminton...Love you CM the evergreen shouting screaming cute CM Im sure you talked with PVS n told her to get agression in her screams too and we saw that in WC 2019 how PVS screamed at every point.

You Two and your friendship is a Treat to the Badminton fans around the world.

Baddie lover likes this.
  12. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

100% correct :D

arjevo and Anks like this.
  13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

You can have a new profession now :D

14. Anks

Anks Regular Member

I got better

WD: Sorry FukuRota Not today !!

WS: Sindhu Storm !!

MS: PVS.....Check out the MOMOTA Tsunami !!

XD: Have to go see Rhine Falls..Be Quick !

MD: Hope you noted your Home Work kids !

Hahaha

15. vozer here

best matchs of champions which should be final:

2013: qf against marin
    2014: qf against tai
    2015: sf against sung
    2018: sf against he b
    2019: qf against tai.

After all the loss, i imagined she would celebrate like astrup/rasmuss or chen l in rio 2016 when she's the champion. The way she down to the floor after won tai in qf look more like she's just won gold

nilesh123 likes this.
  16. Anks

Anks Regular Member

17. Anks

Anks Regular Member

I Have Been Awarded Championship of *Cant Get Enough Of Your Stuff*

My Posts have been liked more than 250 times and on this occassion I would like to make a Gratitude and dedication speech.

First Of All I would like to thank God for this auspicious award and then obviously my friends here for loving me and my posts and respecting my opinions.

I would also like to thank my Favourites SYQ,FukuRota,PVS,LiLiu without them I wont be here in these forums so I'd like to request you all to please pray for my favs especially Shi cause he needs it the most.

And Lastly I would like to dedicate this award to my Baby Sultan who went ti heaven This March 29th at 7:14 AM and My Baby Roxy Who went to heaven on August 5th at 4:25 PM...I Love my babies you two were are and will be my heart.

Love You All !

18. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Or a dozen

samkool likes this.
  19. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

Not really. While VA certainly has some mental obstacles vs. Momota, AA doesn't. He seemed pretty clear headed after the match and said there was simply sold out, physically. He knew and feared that it would be that way but also knew that there was only one thing to do: Forget it and give it all. So he went all in in the beginning (and the flag thing lol) but quickly faded. When asked at what point he realised that he had nothing left in the tanks to shoot with, he replied "yesterday morning", i.e. before the semi final. In hindsight, I think both AA and KW were tired in the semis after some impressive QFs. Whoever had won their semi were in for a pummeling from KM.

And comparing this AA vs. KM match vs the one in Indonesia Open, which AA won, is not fair due to the very different venues (and shuttles?). AA could not simply have transferred his game plan from IO and expected a similar outcome.

The "slow venue/shuttles" probably also contributed to Sindhu's superiority. Marin in top form would have posed a challenge and possibly won.

20. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Have a good trip home :)