Total BWF World Championships 2017 - Round of 32

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

[​IMG]

MS

Brice Leverdez produced the biggest shock in Badminton since Kevin Cordon's triumph over Chen Long in 2011 London World Championships. The Malaysian All Time Great, LCW suffered a heartbreaking 19-21 24-22 17-21 loss to the unseeded Frenchman. Some thrilling action saw Hans Kristian Vittinghus suffering a mental breakdown in the most important phase of the match giving nine straight points to China's Tian Houwei resulting in a 21-14 17-21 16-21 defeat, a match where neutrals felt that Vittinghus was the better player for the most part.

Viktor Axelsen and Chou Tien Chen were stunned in the first set but managed to gain their composure and clinched the next two without much fuss.

Today, will feature India's Number One hope Kidambi Srikanth taking on French Nobody Lucas Corvee.
    Five Time World Champion, Lin Dan of China against the World Number 39, Emil Holst of Denmark. Expect Son Wan Ho to breeze past Gregely Krausz. Match of the Day could be the European Champion Rajeev Ouseph taking on Exciting Indian Sameer Verma. Keep an eye on COURT No. 5 where the Veteran Craftsman Sony Dwi Kuncoro takes on Chen Long, the World & Olympic Champion.

Sung Ji Hyun, Saina Nehwal, Okuhara Nozomi and Carolina Marin will open their campaign against comfortable opponents.

A mouth watering prospect features the Gigantic Chinese duo of Li Jinhui/Liu Yuchen clashing their horn with the World Champion Mohd. Ahsan and his partner Rian Saputro.

Endo/Watanbe will test the mettle of Zhang Nan/Liu Cheng. A couple of exciting XD and WD matches will play the role of dessert after the fine meal.

Category : Major Tournament

[​IMG]

Tournament Software : http://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/tournament.aspx?id=4A6A351C-463C-4229-8233-F7459FAD92B5

Glasgow Time : GMT + 1

2015 World Champions : http://bwfworldchampionships.com/results/2463/total-bwf-world-championships-2015/podium

Live Streaming : videostream.dn.ua/videopage/videoPage.php?g=c2J2b2JoK2F0Y3ZsbmhZ&c=en&i=eWlhaXVidGd1bA№f№f
    https://www.youtube.com/user/bwf

Round of 32 Matches/ Livescore / Schedule/Stats
    :http://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/matches.aspx?id=4A6A351C-463C-4229-8233-F7459FAD92B5

#1 Nine Tailed Fox, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Kenya tsuneyama vs WWKV
    Andres Antonsen vs Tommy Sugiarto
    BSP vs Ginting
    Rajiv vs Sameer
    MZ vs CTC (the latter wasn't sharp yesterday)

Rituparna Vs Kitty G
    Mia B vs Sayaka Sato

Madsx2 vs Or/Tang
    Goh/Tan vs CES/KDY

renbo likes this.
  3. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

after LCW's defeat, Chen Long or Lin Dan quest for another WC title is like easy job...

4. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Like a served meal. Only stomachache could prevent Lin Dan or Chen Long to take the title.

5. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Or maybe dummy World No.1, sorry to call him that, Son Wan Ho can prevail against the odd and win the World Championship.

6. Ajinkya_Dan

Ajinkya_Dan Regular Member

What about Kidambi Srikanth, Viktor Axelsen brother ?

I somehow have a feeling there will be further upsets caused by players like Sameer Verma, Sai Praneeth, Tommy Sugiarto, Rajeev Ouseph in the later rounds

7. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

I really think both of them have some mental weakness but if they can control their nerves well, they probably can put a fight against LD and CL.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  8. Ajinkya_Dan

That's true. I have to say Lin Dan looked solid in his first round match. He may go all the way.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  9. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Either way, there will be epic matches between all of them and that is a great thing for us.

Fan123, Nine Tailed Fox and Hazeef like this.
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

On paper both Lin Dan and Chen Long look favourites but Lin Dan is no longer young and is known to have stamina issues while Chen Long's prospects are better, still anything can happen, we may never know. Didn't LCW's case just reminds us to expect the unexpected ?

So far, a number of the more fancied players were stretched by their lesser opponents, at least in one game, if not upset. In a major championship, the psychological factor, basically the pressure of the burden of expectation, tends to play a more considerable part than at any other tournaments, the impact varying from player to player. So much so that I daresay the underdog actually enjoys a not insignificant advantage being able to play more freely and fearlessly, even playing above themselves for some of them, eg, Brice Leverdez just did yesterday against the legendary LCW.

Fan123 likes this.
  11. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Sameer and Rajiv plays each other today, and LD in R3, so no upsets from them imo.
    Tommy has Andres Antonsen to clash swords with today and KS in R3, no upsets from him either imo
    BSP has a tricky match today against Ginting, he wasn't at his best yesterday it would appear, as he was trailing most of the time against Wei Nan, OTOH it's good mental specimen that he drifted away when it matters the most and seal the deal. He has CTC next, so that's the only chance for an upset. Unlikely atm.

Fan123 likes this.
  12. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Apparently today will be CL's trickiest match, if he wins today, it's more or less certain he'll atleast make the SF, even finals, if you ask me.
    Sony looked great yesterday, has skills and all, the question is can he come up against the lord of perfect physicality? If no,
    CL will have AJ tomorrow ~ Cake walk
    THW in QF ~ that's a forgone conclusion, how difficult can it be for CL to defeat his unsuccessful prototype :p
    VA/CTC/BSP/Ng in SF ~
    mental breakdown for VA
    CTC humbled by Toby penty in g2
    Too good to be true for BSP
    Lack of urgency for Ng
    CL to the finale.... Yuhoo

Fan123 likes this.
  13. Ajinkya_Dan

I do remember sometime back when Lin Dan wasn't in the greatest of form and was losing to unfancied players, he did say something like 'i wish i did not have the pressure to perform always and could play freely like the youngsters do' ... so yea the big guns having the pressure to perform and the the not so knowns playing fearlessly is a treat for us viewers sometimes .. i do hope for some upsets though, who doesn't like the underdogs winning?!

14. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    :):):):):)

15. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

+1, Using Leverdez's 5 minutes in the sun for instance, on that showing against LCW, he would give any top player a run for their money,
    he literally man handled Chong Wei with his killer net play and gave him the run around that he can't bring his A game on the day,
    if it were a street fight, it's akin to having him in a headlock and not letting go. o_O

Fan123 likes this.
  16. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

So who will be the first upset today?

Women Single is kinda boring, dont feel like there will be one. I think its an upset if you are top 8 seeds and lost in first round.

17. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Here's hoping for miracles, give me Carolina Marin and dumb her arse out in the streets of Glasgow. :D

virusvoodoo and Fan123 like this.
  18. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Probably not Ouseph, however.

I keep forgetting he has a realistic chance. It's like I keep forgetting he can actually win matches (sometimes).

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

ebcd likes this.
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member