TOTAL BWF World Championships 2017 - FINALS

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by samkool, Aug 26, 2017.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    you're on to something...
    1. make sure the podium only fits one player
    2. 'insults' averted
    3. fans have one less thing to nitpick
    4. thank you, drive through...
    5. heh heh.

nokh88 likes this.
  2. Master

Master Regular Member

3. Master

Master Regular Member

In 2011, XD Chris Adcock [ENG]/Imogen Bankier [SCO] unseed pair entering Final then losing to Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei
    http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/winners.aspx?id=E563A742-DF5A-44B0-8253-B53004FAEB4D

In MD, there is a biggest Final's upset but still from lower seeded player.
    At 2005 IBF World Championships, the 13th seeded pair defeated 2nd seeded pair in Final.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_IBF_World_Championships_–_Men's_Doubles

4. udin_udik

udin_udik Regular Member

I remember Mrs. Clark said in MD category it is the first since 1970's (or 80's) unseeded pair go to final of WC.

A record that Ahsan made that night was he is the first ever in MD category to reach final of WC with 3 different partners.

5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Certainly this is good for NozomiOkuhara because she is also AllEngland champion which is just as or more important than WorldChampionship, in my opinion. To win both of that is a dream.

udin_udik, Cheung and nokh88 like this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hope she will be around for the Olympics. Her style of play is so physically demanding it is unreal. Just concerned because she has had injuries and surgery previously.

7. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Bet it's Nokh88 again who is trying to manipulate Pure Neutral minds and new Lin Dan fans...If it was LCW, he would have call it the Biggest travesty in Sports Entertainment History. Fortunately for him, no podium place for Cameo appearances here. Probably he has gotten too comfortable seeing the queen reception LCW gets from Lin Dan and Chen Long on the podium.

Anyways, I have talked to some podium experts and feet distribution guidelines on how to properly stand on a podium and got pretty fascinating responses.

They felt Axelsen was standing as if he is to return Fu Haifeng's smash, Feet widespread and broad shoulders,it killed any possibility of Lin Dan and Chen Long getting even a sniff at the top of the podium.

Secondly, A podium expert told me that it's a common courtesy to ask the Silver Medalist first, without whom this wonderful final wouldn't be possible, to share the top of the podium but it felt like Son Wan Ho without any invitation/permission climbed up next to VA without a ridiculous smile on his face. No Wonder Lin Dan look baffled here. Should Official Authorities have interfered here? That's a big talking point and I will ask older members of Lin Dan Fan Nation to conclude my investigation.

samkool likes this.
  8. Natasha M Lewitke

Natasha M Lewitke New Member

mmmmmm mmmmmm hmmmm.....i don't think so.

samkool likes this.
  9. Natasha M Lewitke

Natasha M Lewitke New Member

mmmmmmm hmmmmm.....i don't think so

samkool likes this.
  10. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    :D:p

i think i'm in love...

11. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

You are one of the kind who know how to measure the land with empty hands. . You can drag a fight out of anything. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

12. udin_udik

udin_udik Regular Member

What about writing a draft of Podium Guideline. You can precisely mention how wide you open your feet, smile with no evil expression.

Then you can send it to BWF, I am very sure BWF will sign it. Next time we don't have to argue on this kind of issue anymore.

Khamenman likes this.
  13. Master

Master Regular Member

BAI announced Rs.10 Lacs for Sindhu & Rs.5 Lacs for Saina

[​IMG]

nilesh123 likes this.
  14. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Don't you think it's ironic he is paired with Zhang Nan who will maybe share his experience and "whisper" Liu Cheng?

15. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Wow! You are connected man!

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    'I was shaking like a little child'
    [​IMG]
    Denmark's Viktor Axelsen celebrates his win against China's Lin Dan.PHOTO:REUTERS
    Axelsen is third Dane to win world singles title after beating Chinese legend Lin Dan

Aug 29, 2017

Denmark's Viktor Axelsen fulfilled a childhood dream by beating the legendary Lin Dan in straight games to claim the men's singles gold at the World Championships in Glasgow, Scotland yesterday morning (Singapore time).

The 33-year-old Lin was going for a record sixth title, but he had to settle for second best after a 20-22, 16-21 defeat.

He had a game point at 20-19 up in the first game, but always trailed in the second.

Axelsen is the third Dane to claim the men's singles crown.

Flemming Delfs won the inaugural 1977 title and Peter Rasmussen was a winner, also in Glasgow, 20 years ago.

"It was my dream to be in a world final," said Axelsen, the 2014 world and 2016 Olympic bronze medallist.

"But it is unbelievable to beat Lin Dan. I have been watching him for years.

"Today, I may have appeared confident, but inside I was shaking like a little child."

At the end of the match, the 23-year-old Axelsen clutched his head in disbelief and then collapsed onto the court.

Today, I may have appeared confident, but inside I was shaking like a little child.Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen on how he felt during the final against China’s Lin Dan
    For Lin, it was a tough defeat.

"If I had won the first game, the result might have been different," said the Chinese star.

"But, in the second, all the pressure was on me."

Lin was coy when asked about his future plans.

"I don't have time to think," he said. "I go home tomorrow and the Chinese National Games start the day after.

"Then I play in the Japan Open. After that, I have no plans.

"It will be difficult to play in the World Championships at 34."

For Axelsen, who defeated Olympic champion Chen Long in the semi-finals, the future could not be brighter.

"It is great to know that all the hard work has paid off," said the strapping 1.93m-tall player.

"Chen Long and Lin Dan have won all the major championships and they inspire me.

"But I remain humble. Some people say I am too tall for singles, but I know I can improve.

"Today, I am just so happy."

In a superb women's singles final, Nozomi Okuhara became the first Japanese player to win a world singles gold medal with a stunning 21-19, 20-22, 22-20 victory over India's PV Sindhu.

The match lasted 110 minutes - easily the longest of the championships - and neither player could have given more.

In the end, it was the tenacious Okuhara who came out on top.

"I hope this win will inspire others," said the diminutive 22-year-old.

"The third game was so close and I was absolutely exhausted.

"But I decided to try and enjoy it and I could see that she was very tired and was struggling.

"My attitude got me through."

The only other Japanese gold at a world championships came from Etsuko Toganoo and Emiko Ueno in the women's doubles at the very first 1977 championships.

Yuki Fukushima and Sayaka Hirota had a chance to repeat that success, but they had to settle for silver after losing 18-21, 21-17, 15-21 in the final to China's Chen Qingchen and Jia Yifan.

China collected a second gold in the men's doubles with Liu Cheng and Zhang Nan scoring a comfortable 21-10, 21-17 win over the relatively new and unseeded Indonesian pair of Mohammad Ahsan and Rian Agung Saputro.

But Indonesia did claim a title when Olympic champions Tontowi Ahmad and Liliyana Natsir clinched the mixed doubles gold after beating Chinese top seeds Zheng Siwei and Chen Qingchen. - AFP

nilesh123 likes this.
  17. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

He reached the semis with Septano in 2011, not the finals.

18. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Lol, I thought we both had sense of humour :p ^ yeah I agree to that, hands down

19. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think Its the one players from ALL category not just MD to reach the final unseeded.

I think its a crazy feat no matter how good and champion mentality ahsan is. It wont be repeated for another 30 years.

Yeah in MD with 2 different partner which is such an unpredictable field. not with Septano though. So i guess its the same with HendraSetiawan. Other than that, I cant remember player in MD reach WC Final with 2 different partners?

20. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

The way I see it, Axelsen is the biggest and tallest of all 4 :p:p