TOTAL BWF THOMAS-UBER Cup Finals 2018 : QUARTERFINAL & SEMIFINAL (24 & 25 May)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 23, 2018.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Why?
    What happened?

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

2. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

I think this is a big problem for our players, bad finishing (just like the national football team lol).

So far Ginting has 2 titles but not against "convincing opponents" (not meaning I didn't appreciate them though). I think he needs to win against Chen Long/Axelsen/Momota/Lin Dan/Lee Chong Wei to greatly increase his confidence.

stanleyfm and Cheung like this.
  3. IevasPolka

IevasPolka Regular Member

To me, it's liu yuchen who lost his cool in front of kevin. Now adding junhui to the show, it's gonna be hilarious next time they meet on court.

Forestal likes this.
  4. Master

Master Regular Member

She had an injury then she needs recovery time to make her comeback.

Baddyforall likes this.
  5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Just hope it won't happen in Istora. Never liked the atmosphere there.

6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah there will always be negative comments about achievement of Indonesia team from the fans just like China Uber team. I guess the ChinaUber team underperformed more.

The way i see it, hoping is fine. But 3rd place is a realistic achievement being the 3rd seed anyway. Former glories will always be difficult, but it's fine. As long as i see it, Indonesia have number 1 ranked in 2 disciplines and this will not happen again in a long time. and being top of S500-1000 standings, i'm not sure about the commotion.

7. Baddyforall

I accept for JOJ. He has the potential to become WR No.1. But that does not go for HKV. No offense. He is always a 'OK' player. Never ever had the technique to surpass the best . His shot selection and footwork are horrible for a top class player.
    His acrobatics on court is due to his poor shot selection and poor footwork.

8. Baddyforall

If i knew it correctly, LXR has good h2h against Busanan.

But we should not take this as LXR is in the process of coming back.

Saina said in an interview that coming back from knee surgery etc is extremely difficult and Her love for the game drives her to work hard. But the process involves so many setbacks. She might lose to someone against whom she didn't lose before. From my judging , Li xuerui will take 6 months to 1 year to regain her form.

Michael V, kwun and Cheung like this.
  9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It wasn't just that. Look at her expression and her body language when she played. Sometimes when you had an injury, you were traumatized by the pain and it could freeze your body and your brain sending signals to protect the injured part causing you not able to move properly. She was obviously agonized with her own condition and the situation she was in. Not to mention it was the most crucial point of the tie. It was too much to take.

The same with JOJ, he was so frustrated not because he was losing but more that he couldn't control his own body or movement. I know so well how excruciating it could be when your mind know what you should be doing but your body couldn't keep up with you to execute it. No wonder he broke down and cried after the match. It was painful to watch.

Also, the pressure and the fear of disappointing your team in an important match were overwhelming and aggravating.

#1229 yuquall, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Michael V likes this.
  10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

JOJ‘s movement looked fine to me. Moving very fast and hitting good shots. Not his best of course. He made way too many errors though and his opponent played very well.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    She is already two to three months in that process. Six months is a bit short. I think there is another psychological issue. Wang Lin before re ruptured her ACL trying to make a comeback. How much would this knowledge play on Li Xuerui's psychological comeback? Women tend to be less risk takers compared to men. So Li Xuerui might not push herself as much.

Michael V and stanleyfm like this.
  12. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

I think Li Xuerui & Jan O Jorgensen (even Hans-Kristian Vittinghus/Viktor Axelsen) as well as their fans/coaches all made a fundamental error when it comes to "injury-comebacks" -- i.e. LXR & JOJ (even HKV/VA) were all struggling to play the way they did before their career-stopping injuries, instead of developing new game-plays that accounts for the way their bodies have been changed...

Even LCW/LD knew to change their game-play if/when they were injured/re-habilitating -- VS LXR & JOJ, who were clearly hitting the shuttle with their "usual/established" style/strokes, DESPITE the fact their bodies weren't getting into position or reacting as fast they use to....IOW, they were obviously working more with their rehab therapists than their coaches (who unconsciously "gave up" their jobs to their therapists?) in preparing for this tournament.

E.g. LXR was trying to "clear/lift" the shuttle further/higher in order to slow down the game and give herself more time to react -- but with short strokes that looked more like a mis-hit, if not a half-hearted/unpractised disguise; and JOJ trying to play fast despite not moving/reacting fast enough is what created all kinds of errors

World Rankings are a record of past achievements, not what you are feeling at the moment -- and experience is to be used to adjust your game-play against different opponents and conditions, not to "recall/replicate" how you use to play.

#1232 Forestal, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Michael V, Cheung and Rob3rt like this.
  13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

You have said it better.

14. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

Ginting already won several times vs ChenLong dude....
    the way i see it CL played better this time compared to their previous encounters while Ginting played with less focus, less prepared, making simple mistakes, in short played below par

15. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

No... What I'm talking about is winning the tournament after beating the 5 players I mentioned in the final..

Maybe it is not clear enough

16. IevasPolka

IevasPolka Regular Member

I hope so. But only someone with a nerve of steel would dare to provoke indonesian players in Indonesia

17. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Like Boe/Mog did? As far as I am concerned, they are quite brave in collecting boos from the audience.

stanleyfm likes this.
  18. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Well done to Thailand for reaching the final for the first time in Uber Cup, credit must go to Rexy, their head coach.

The final WS decider game was very poor by the Chinese veteran LXR, it was pathetic. God knows why the Chinese Team allowed her to play, she should have retired and not come back.

WS is a young women's game and can be brutal with long rallies and if it goes to 3 games, then it's not comfortable to watch, as both players are often exhausted, and these are young players.

You could see she was very slow, age has got to her. With the retirement of the Wangs, and out form and semi-retired LXR, China Women's WS team are long gone.

stanleyfm likes this.
  19. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

It is not about being "brave" or "daring" anything. A sports star does not have to be brave to withstand boos from the fans of their opponents. That happens in all sports. Boos from the audience are part of the game. Bo/Mo totally accepted that and would prefer those boos over a silent audience.

The problem was that some of the Indonesian fans didn't accept Bo/Mo giving back at the audience. Those few fans crossed the line.

stanleyfm likes this.
  20. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

- deleted -