TOTAL BWF SUDIRMAN Cup 2019 : Quarterfinal - FINAL (23-26 May)

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Momota himself said he felt tired in second and third games and your solution is to increase muscle mass? Heavier players get tired sooner. Isn't your comment just overanalysing, based on one match? Last time Momota lost to Shi Yuqi he won the next match. In my opinion Momota is the favourite next time they meet unless Shi Yuqi is again given over 7 hours more rest after previous days match.

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

No i'm not talking about SYQ match in terms of muscle mass.

3. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

As an unbiased Momota observer, I think everyone should not read too much into his loss. Shi played really well while Momota didn't.
    It could be so many factors. It could be the extra rest the Chinese had from the previous day, it could be the overwhelming support from the Crowd. It could be the coaching staff. It could be anything, really.
    I'm sure Momota must have been really cut to lose at the most crucial stage but that is sport.
    All I'm gonna say is that Japan needs a reliable MS backup who's able to challenge the top players without getting destroyed. Someone to share the burden of momota. The pressure to keep his team in the challenge must have gotten to his head.
    Lost MD? We have Momota.
    Lost WS? We have Momota.
    That's probably their mentality in the climax of yesterday's event.

stanleyfm and kurako like this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I think it was more the pressure than anything else.

Even when Momota played against Ginting, he was unusually very tensed and couldn't be as relaxed and cool as we used to see him normally. I actually believe, had Ginting not make the (unnecessary) unforced errors in the G1, he would have won G1 and the match eventually as Momota was under too much pressure at the time and couldn't move as freely as he would have wished to like in Singapore Open.

The same thing with Yamaguchi too perhaps.

rhoder, wade and stanleyfm like this.
  5. minions

minions Regular Member

I think you are right. Having someone to shoulder all of the burden alone certainly affects the performance and nerve. Minions are good example of this. They have been dominating the MD, yet didn't do well in team events until this SC. In 2017 SC, they almost won against Boe/Mogensen, but lost in the end and also one of the factors that led up to INA's failure to progress to QF. In 2018 TUC, they lost to scratch pair. No one expected this. However, in this SC, minions' performance is great without losing a game. And INA MD already has 3 solid pairs now.

trizzforce and stanleyfm like this.
  6. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

yes, that is why it actually is very important to have 2 prominent representatives in the Olympics
    It decreases your burden

7. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Minions have done quite well in team events. They have always been the only point winner in most tie. That loss against Boe/Mo was mainly because Boe/Mo had found the right game plan against minions. And Boe/Mo had also won 2 more matches in a row after that SC. Once minions found the answer to Boe/Mo's tactic, they had never lost to Boe/Mo.

With minions, they have this trend of starting weakly due to adapting to the playing condition.
    TUC last year, they lost to THA scratch pair (their first match after breaks). In AG team event, they struggled against IND pair (their first match of the tournament). But after the second one they had never lost any match.

8. minions

minions Regular Member

Yeah, minions have become progressively better in a tournament. They are mostly at their very best in SF and Final.

9. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

^-^ But the it's true. Whenever I watch Momota's game, even he lost the first game, I still believe he can win.

Momota is "reliable man".

10. wade

wade Regular Member

Tbh, I feel like minions choked more than anything when they lost to boe/mog in 2017 SC. I still remember they were controlling that game for the most part and even got the match point first at 20-18 in the second game and boe/mog ended up stealing that game 24-22. in the third game if I remember correctly they also lead most of the time and had the match point first again, and still ended up losing in the end.

11. minions

minions Regular Member

That didn't happen yesterday. Team event really does wreck everyone's expectation.
    2 years ago, Lu/Huang lost in the decider despite being in form before. The one who everyone thought as sure winner turns out to be the most pressured one.

12. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Perhaps so. I haven't watched that match as I couldn't find the video anywhere. :(
    Then again they were playing a very experienced pair and since then beat them again and again in individual tournaments (not only in team events). Didn't mean they suck in team events just because they lost once in group stage. They won their other match against IND pair convincingly while the others failed to win any.

13. wade

wade Regular Member

I still remember that match because PBSI's photographer (widya amelia) once write in her blog about that SC, she said boe was trying to play some mind games with kevin that time, saying something like, "you nervous ?" in the crucial time :D

buibui2 likes this.
  14. r1cky_b3cks

r1cky_b3cks Regular Member

i really feel this, you speaks my heart out, just like in a company you have this staff that you can always rely on and you feel safe assigning any task to him.

buibui2 and stanleyfm like this.
  15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

haha Boe the best bully on court (and off court)

16. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

Even LCW can lose, how not to expect Momota to always win? But, yesterday game was indeed a one sider. He lost to a player who played overall a better game. No excuse.

skhai91 and Justin L like this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

When you've sufficient rest, whether your opponent has more doesn't matter. The question is how much is enough for a top professionals? Minimum 8 hours or preferably 12 (for older players above 30)?

Momota said he started at a high pace in G1 to win it convincingly and felt a little bit tired in the 2nd and 3rd set - it reminded me of how Shi Yuqi played against him the last time, all guns blazing in the 1st set to blow KM away 21-12 and then slowed down a bit to lose G2, 18-21, before tanking 8-21 in the decider, and that was in the final of the BAC, the 5th consecutive round for both players. Post-match, SYQ admitted he was a little fatigued in G2 and more so in G3. Still, look at the big difference between the two matches, esp G1 and G2 in SYQ's previous match where he had a realistic chance of clinching a two straight-set victory.

But that's not all. For the Sudirman Cup , SYQ played his 1st match on 19 May (Sun), his 2nd match on 25th May (Sat) and then the final with Momota the next day on 26th May (Sun afternoon), that is 3 matches; on the other hand, Momota played his 1st match on 22nd May (Wed), 2nd match on 24th May (Fri), 3rd match on 25th May (Sat evening), and the final on 26th May (Sun afternoon). Like you've pointed out, 7 hours less rest than Shi Yuqi but more than 12 hours in between the semifinal and final. Not sufficient rest for Momota in a stand-alone , not back-to-back tournament for which he has proven his capability to win two full 5-round events consecutively ? Surely not.

Do you know that qualifiers often play two, sometimes three matches within 24 hours? Imagine, after beating two qualifiers to advance to the main draw and waiting for you is a seeded player ? I mean, is the 7 hours longer rest period for SYQ that significant ? I don't think so, rather I put it down basically to how you pace yourself in the match and how well your opponent play against you as well as the tactics and strategy employed, not to mention the occasion itself and the pressure involved under the circumstances which affect each individual differently.

I mean, it's not like KM had only 7 hours rest whilst SYQ at least 14 to 16 , which, undeniably, would make a considerable difference, I concede. Besides, it's justifiable for me to point out that, in individual tournaments, it's commonplace for the two finalists to have differing rest period, especially where the two semifinals are in two sessions, one afternoon and the other evening, which is often the case, isn't it ?

And in team events, what about those who do double duty and are given a minimum of a mere 30 mins rest in between the two matches according to BWF regulations ? That is much worse, unmistakably favourable for the player/pair who didn't do double duty. But,still, that is the rule, which is why it is so important, vitally, that the coaches plan and strategize the lineup with careful consideration and thoughtful deliberation. Without the slightest doubt, I am absolutely sure that the highly capable coach, Park Joo Bong, and his coaches know full well what they are doing and why in their players selection round after round.

Mind you, Chen Yufei was selected for all five rounds though it turned out she didn't have to play the semifinal against Thailand, all thanks to her teammates who won the tie 3-0 before her 4th match is due. Don't Xia Xuanze and company know what they are doing, picking Chen Yufei again for the final to face either Nozomi (the Chinese camp probably thought NO is the likely choice) or Akane, both notable runners and retrievers ? What is He Bingjiao who hasn't played a single match there for, not to mention the relatively young and inexperienced Han Yue - just to make up the numbers or as flower vases ?

I apologise for my lengthy post, just want to share my humble opinion and analysis, assuredly nothing personal.:):D

18. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Will everyone on team tht played going to get a colored ⭐ on their jersey now for this win?

Will HBJ get one as well?

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lee CW is special, phenomenal. Lin Dan himself, Li Yongbo and the entire CHN camp hold him in the highest esteem.

Li Xuerui once said she wanted to emulate LCW for his amazing consistency in winning tournament after tournament. And Li Yongbo openly made it clear to his charges that whoever wins a tournament without LCW participating in it does not count for much in his eyes.

#1279 Justin L, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Good to hear from you, Mr Morten Frost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.