Too slow shuttles - The german problem

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ucantseeme, Jul 14, 2017.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Beeing the team captain and played vs. the female (team captain of our opponents) I decided to ask the opponents of our 1st team, which don't have a competing team in our league. This was the neutraliest option to me.

Thanks for the advice with the first hit. Can you share a specific rule about it? I sometimes had dicussions about he speed from our opponents, just because they hit a few times too long.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

But what happens when two clubs meet and have to play a match, so there is no neutral there?

3. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Well, actually, it's BWF rules, so I don't know if that filters down into your particular competition rules. Gillian mentioned it when the German ladies singles player whose name momentarily escapes me made a fuss at the start of her game because the shuttles were too fast. She complained during warm-up and eventually managed to get the shuttles changed (with agreement from her opponent).
    If there is no neutral party, you'd usually take the highest ranked player not participating in that particular game (or one you trust most to test without bias).

#63 SolsticeOfLight, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  4. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Are you sure this isn't a Belgium-specific rule? If there is an umpire, they will of course decide. In none of the German leagues I'm aware of there is anything like a Match Leader, just a teamster of each team.

Um, no.

Changing the shuttles is certainly possible during the game, typically during intervals, although it requires the referee's permission. See BWF Umpire & Service Judge Instructions, May 2017, page 34, and RTTO §3.5.7.3. At lower-level tournaments, many referees allow their umpires to change shuttle speeds on their own.

#64 phihag, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  5. SolsticeOfLight

Usually for competition there's no umpire, and even at tournaments usually one or two umpires for the entire hall.
    At tournaments, you would involve the referee, who would designate a tester of their choice.
    At higher level competition, you're required to have a non-participating match leader who would take the role of the referee, and at lower level competition often the home team captain will be the match leader.

This is good to learn. As stated before, I'm only remembering from watching a game on YouTube many years ago.

6. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    So today league game. We were guests. After we arrived 30 minutes before the game the hall was closed. At around 4 degrees a pure joy to wait 15 minutes for somebody who bring the keys. I was keen to protest, but it wouldn't be a good start and since I'm used to work outside at these temperatures, I kept my mouth shut.

In the hall it wasn't much warmer. Seems like the hall is used frequent, but they keep the heating costs as low as possible. Personally I thought about playing in long pants and a training jacket, but played in the team jersey. The women tried to wear as much as possible.

This was just the prolog. Then we did warm up and the shuttles were the slowest I ever played. Felt like plastics. It was Yonex Aerosensa Speed 2. Normally I'm able to hit any shuttle out with a forehand clear, but it was impossible. The speed test of my strongest male team mate told that the shuttle just land 1m infront of the doubles service line.

This match was not a joy. The opponents were friendly and also said, that normally their shuttles are faster. Sombody of their club bought 50 roles of the wrong speed. :rolleyes: Makes sense to buy slow shuttles for a season which is mainly during winter.

I played the worst games of the last 2 years. Especially the backhand clear and smash were slowed down and cropped. Never the less I won MD and XD, but playing with such slow shuttles was not a joy. I wasn't confident to play a backhand clear because of worrying that it don't get end to end. ;)

@phihag Normally a lot of players are used to slow down by bending the feathers outside. IMO it is a good thing which works during summer in hot halls, but I never experienced a bending inside. Did you or anybody else?

7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Then they had the correct speed. As long as you can hit the shuttle out with a lift or clear they are too fast. At least that's what some people believe around here. :rolleyes:

speCulatius likes this.
  8. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I sometimes experience myself to hit too long, when I'm in trouble and under pressure. Put in too much effort. But today I could do whatever I want, nothing was too long or even borderline. Also my swip never went out or was borderline to argue, which was uncommon. Was nearly like playing with plastics. Also none of our opponents hit it too long. These magic shuttles... :rolleyes: These grunting old farts which you described came to my mind who don't reached more than the mid court. :D

9. phihag

phihag Regular Member

I believe I have witnessed it once, but a long time ago. Most of the time, our shuttles feel too fast (well, it may be my lack of control). Last weekend, all my shots when over the opposite baseline despite bending every fourth. All the people I play and train with have decent shuttles (typically AS 20/30 at 3 or 2 or Babolat 1 at 76(?)), so it's not a problem for me as a player.

When I umpire, we usually have only the top or second-top class shuttles (e.g. AS40/AS50), at a decent speed for Germany (usually bought by professional or very experienced badminton organizers / shop owners / federation representatives). Some tournaments even have multiple shuttle speeds available, with the referee deciding the general speed each day. Therefore, I don't think I've ever encountered too-slow shuttles as an umpire.

10. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Jesus. Speed 2 is for the usual temperatures in my country. Not 4 freaking degrees.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

11. SolsticeOfLight

Babolat tends to be a bit slow, so 76 is a bit surprising. I usually recommend speed 78 to prospective Babolat buyers.

12. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Oh, my mistake - I remembered 76, but I know looked it up. We actually have predominantly 77 here. Most of the year, you can play them out of the tube.

13. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I agree. Was surprised to see Yonex Speed 2 or Babolat 76 for winter. For hot summer - fine, but for Winter Speed 77 or Speed 3 is for me the standard. FME even in Asia during autumn 77 is the standard.

IMO alot german club players who are used to plastics determine the speed here. They are more used to punch instead of stroking and this is maybe the culprit why germans (can't really talk for europeans) tend to prefer slower shuttles. In Asia really nobody is used to plastics. Also the preference for low tensions because of costs effects the preference for the speed. When I string atm various high end rackets with BG65 at max. 9kg, I can drop a tear everytime. Like buying a 4K TV just to watch TV with rabbit ears.

I also noticed that the procedure of the speed test is not really common here. I play sometimes with/against a woman who is qualified for the DM(Deutsche Meisterschaft). And even she argues that she knows here shuttles and bends every 4th and fights against the result of the speed test. She uses 9.5kg and struggle with her elbow since years...

It also surprise me that IIRC read here a few times that the guys from the UK play with faster (Speed 78) shuttles!? @Charlie-SWUK @dbswansea @Gollum what do you use?

EDIT: When I wrote Germans I mean the people around me, which I play. Not every German to clarify and be precise, because I often play with people from Asia, too and don't have this speed issues.;)

14. SolsticeOfLight

UK weather is pretty similar to Belgium. I use 77 and 78 (depending on weather and the hall).

15. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I will go as high as a 79 if the hall is cold.

16. SolsticeOfLight

Which brands/models offer 79? I've never seen one.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I don't remember ever using a 76.

Usually either 77 or 78, occasionally 79. I don't keep a close eye on what my club (Ebbisham) uses, but I think it now varies throughout the year with 77 in summer and 78 in winter. At the A-section at least, people do a proper speed test -- at least for the first shuttles out the tube. We used to have problems with too-slow shuttles in winter, but now they seem fine. We occasionally tip shuttles, but only as a last resort.

We also have thermostatically-controlled gas heaters in the ceiling, which keep the winter court temperature more reasonable (provided people actually use them).

In many other clubs I've played at, it's a lot more variable. You tend to get much better shuttles and speeds at the top grade of strong clubs / performance centres. Wimbledon shuttles seemed good. So did the shuttles at Coulsdon-Purley and Horsham-Arun, although I've not been there for a long time.

Parklangley A was using those god-awful Snowpeake shuttles, but they have bigger problems with their A-grade than shuttles...;)

When I'm buying shuttles for coaching I get 78, since beaten-up shuttles mostly fly slow already and I definitely don't want players trying to force power due to slow shuttles.

18. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    AFAIK all key brands offer various speeds, but normally all brands limited the availability based on the market and weather conditions of the whole year.

Based on this scale, the impression that some people here are forced to play with too slow shuttles is real. @Rob3rt ;)

[​IMG]

19. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    78 is very safe, unless it’s boiling hot like 25c is more it won’t be too bad. In the uk we won’t get those temperatures unless it’s lunch time anyway, not in the evening when most people play.

20. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    25°C is cold here.. I hate you

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

thyrif likes this.