Tony Gunawan / Howard Bach are the MD WC2005 Champions!

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by MikeJ, Aug 21, 2005.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

i tend to agree here....let's see how they do in other outside tournaments..if they don't go far like what they did here, then the sport probably won't grow much in U.S.

further, once Halim Haryanto is able to play for the U.S., I wonder how will the U.S. MD team looked like. Will it be Tony/Howard and Halim/Bob M.??..Or will it be Tony and Halim back as duo again...If it does, then, it'll be the end of Howard Bach..He depends and wins with Tony...

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Personally i think US deserve the win today. However the indonesians overall should be proud to have gunawan played and win. Gunawan felt in an awkward situation and can't really celebrate after winning. But the man is very humble to acknowledge his ex coach christian and his ex team mates as well. I think the indonesians should be proud and happy that few indonesians players made an impact in the US soil.

3. noeryan05

noeryan05 Regular Member

Halim in US

DAMN :crying:

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

True, he seemed quite humble about what he has achieved. And yes, during the press media conference, seeing him sitting next to Candra/Sigit during the interview, representing the U.S., made the atmosphere quite awkward, to say the least..I'm sure there were mixed emotions..
    But throughout, i feel that there was no feeling of dislike between the former teammates, as they understand that all 3 players are basically playing against each other as in their previous training days..

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Actually the players have no hard feelings against Gunawan. All of them have been up and down thruout their career with each other. They have been best of friends and still are.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Halim in US

DAMN :crying:[/QUOTE]

why don't u cry for ardy wiranata, rexy, marlvene mainaky , mia audina too? or is it they longer are useful to INA and u don't care about them anymore?

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Of course this will have an influence.

But, as what Kwun said, if the bulk of the attendance at Arrowhead Pond is made up of Asians, then this is not so good either. And from what I saw on TV, not many non-Asians can be seen among the largely familiar Asian spectators.

I hope there is a strong followup in the media and other means of publicising the game to the mainstream. The authorities should take advantage of this US success and not allow the momentum to slacken.

My wish is that badminton will become more popular in the US and not be treated as a 'sissy, backyard game'.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    every goal is achieve by making many small steps ;)

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Were Bach/Gunawan listed as US or US/INA

It has happened before that players representing different countries have played together in doubles. Usually, they are listed as ctry1/ctry2
    Simon Archer (ENG) has played in tournaments with Kirsteen McEwan (SCO) [I think] and they were down as ENG/SCO

When Eng Hian and Flandy Limpele were training with the English squad, they entered the All England and were listed as an ENG pair. Afterwards, it appeared that this was only because the BAofE had sent in their entry form.

Maybe it's different in the Worlds as it's an IBF event.
    But then again, it's probably different again to a team competition like the Thomas Cup where the players are supposed to be directly representing their country.

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    They are listed as USA/USA. You don't have to be a citizen to represent the country. You could just be a resident for a few years.

11. apontoh

apontoh Regular Member

I really wanna download this match, some one PLEASE upload it...!!:eek:

12. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    american can do only.... :)

AMERICAN CAN DO (ONLY SUPPORTED BY INDONESIANS) REMEMBER THAT, AND TONY IS STILL INDONESIAN, AFTER FINISHING HIS STUDY HE WILL GO BACK HOME...

tony/howard was superb at that time, but they must prove it again outside america.

do they dare to come in upcoming events, china open 2005 or indonesia open 2005 ? :)

i bet they don't :)

13. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I forgot.
    Gunawan did play in 2004 Thomas Cupfor USA didn't he?
    He just didn't play against Indonesia?

14. crosstrainer

crosstrainer Regular Member

IT consultant
    from what little i know, it takes about 2-3 years for your original country of authority to allow you to compete for another country (like xu, pi, tony, etc...)

i guess the 3 years is intended to slow you down and make you less competitive.

15. w3wmfhe

w3wmfhe Regular Member

well..maybe in another two years...tony will become citizen of the US.....since he is resident of the US now with green card

16. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    It depends on the individual countries regulations. The Regulation is that a player must hold the nationality of the country they represent, so if a country will give them nationality in 1week, then a person could play for that country at OG/WC/TC/UC within a week.

In most countries however it takes 1-3 years. UK however would take 5years (hence why not many Foreigners come to play for them)

17. RealMad

RealMad Regular Member

Somehow I think that Gunawan must have a US passport. I don't believe that a green card is enough to represent a country internationally, otherwise we would see much more "jumping" from country to country to gain exposure.

The fact that Gunawan still has an Indonesian passport is immaterial. If he picked one up in say, 2000, it would still be valid today even if he picked up a US passport. The US simply does not care if you hold other passports. After all, legitimate dual (sometimes more) citizens are plentiful in the world.

Anyway, it was a great win for the US. And for me, it's not for any other reason than the great badminton played.

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    No doubt it's such a boost for US badminton community. Now, many kids should look up that, and believe themselves as if they work hard enough, one day, they might be the champ as well. The western worlds in general should now have a bit more confidence as "we can", to take some share of honors from the Big 5.

But with very little media coverage from north america, I wonder how much impact it will bring to the general public. Ok, time to order DVDs. :D

19. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I agree. A lot has been said about how great this is for badminton in the US, how it will change the general public's view of badminton etc etc. Undeniably, there will be some positive effects. But until we see Tony and Howard being invited to TV talk shows to talk baddy, badminton's still going to be viewed as a "backyard game". In the US, a gold medal is "just" a gold medal. They don't become national heroes, like they would in some other countries. And media, well, they will report about the win, but probably not much more than that. Compare to Athletics, for instance. USA is the most successful nation in the world, winning gold after gold in the recent World Championships, and yet US media kept a very low profile and most Americans weren't even aware that a WC was being held...

Like you say, the main impact of this gold will be on the younger generation of US players. And that effect is years away...

Nevertheless, I am pleasantly surprised and very impressed by Tony and Howard's great win (especially Howard, actually, who's obviously raised himself more than one level). Thumbs up! :D

20. @n931_37

@n931_37 New Member

Shuttler
    Haiks...US won....

Well...kinda disappointed wif the result....but it was undoubtedly one of the best double matches....strings of smashes and thick defense by both teams....yet the underdogs won....but I have to admit Bach's smashes were out of this world.....I don't think anyone can do much about them anyways...:crying: