Tight net shots

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by axl886, Oct 7, 2011.

1. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

The returning player can only contact the bird after the shuttle has "passed the net" (as GC often mention).

My question is: what is the definition of passing the net?

- the entire shuttle (dun think so?)
    - geometric CG of shuttle?
    - the cork area?

Also, it is allow that the returning player's racquet head passed over the net, AFTER contact with the bird is made? Or a foul?

Stepping over the center-line - is it a foul, either before or after shuttle contact or doesn't matter?

Thanks. ;)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no. that's not the rule.

the striker can only contact the shuttle on his side of the net. it doesn't say anything about where the shuttle is. in other words, it can be half way over.

3. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree with Kwun,
    In one of the 2010 games, Peter Gade made an outstanding net kill aginst LCW. LCW played a very tight net return from a few inches below the tape. Shuttle has not recvered fully-may be it was tumbling and feathers crossed the net first. PG managed to brush the feathers and won the point. LCW had a questioning look, but umpire was correct to call it a good kill as the point of contact was on PG's side.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

agree.

it doesn't matter when or if your racquet pass over the net as long as you do not impede your opponent.

It doesnt matter where you put your feet (as long as you do not impede your opponent).

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    agree............. ;)

Don't be afraid to commit or brush the shuttle on your side. ;) Many are worried and scared. ;)

6. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Actually, your racket cannot cross over the net period. Whether or not it does not impede your opponent except on one condition where you are following through in one motion when the shuttle is on your side.

The shuttle is considered passed the net if any part of the shuttle is on your side. (But the umpire may see differently, they have a very split second to make the decision whether they want to call it or not)

Your feet is allowed to go under the net as long as it does interfere or distract your opponent. But then again, if I were a strict player, if your foot has crossed under to my side of the net, I can clearly claim to the umpire that it has distracted me by just looking down at your foot.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it can:

It shall be a ‘fault’:
    13.4 if, in play, a player:
    13.4.2 invades an opponent’s court over the net with racket or person except that the striker may
    follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke after the initial point
    of contact with the shuttle is on the striker’s side of the net;

8. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

Ooo, thanks for clearing up my misconception. :cool:

9. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

The last part of that sentence says with one exception and that was the exception ;)