Tie Score Dilemma

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by mndtrcks, Apr 13, 2005.

1. badmonte

badmonte Regular Member

So you would rule to go back and replay from where? The rule says it has to be decided before the next point, because you can't go back. Once a point is played, its played.
    As far as "Point 14" with the holding up of the shuttle, I have played badmitnon on the west coast for over 20 years and have never heard of anyone not knowing what that meant.
    If someone told me "point 14" and I wanted to set, I would say SET!
    The opponents of mndtrks girls knew that they could set, because after they protested. I beleive they were being less than honest and trying to get a double benefit, of winning at 15 if they broke serve, and being able to play to 17 if they didn't.
    You and I weren't their so your implying that mndtrks girls were unsportsmanlike, when in fact it could be their opponents who were trying to take advantage of them,by playing both ends of the rule. Why is that ok to you?

Again the fact is the played the point, so you can not go back.

2. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

Let's not make this an endless discussion, I think we all have a point here, and the match could go either way. It's just an unfortunate for mndtrks girls to lose the match like this.

For the future and for the love of this sport, if anyone holds a tournament with no umpire, let's make this kind of things very clear in advance, write the rules on paper if needed. This is a very good case and good discussion for everyone.

mndtrks, thanks for sharing with everyone in the forum. :)

3. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

lol...
    Let's say you and I are are playing a match. You get to 14 last and say "Match Point". Say what?! What is your right to decide that it is match point? First, it's not for you to take that decision, or to suggest that it is. If you ever said that, then the correct format would be "Match point. Do you agree yes or no?". And not "Match point" and let's play on, because I'd be ready to receive.
    And I mentionned the notion of unsportmanlike, but I haven't said who was. As unfair as the ruling was in that school, I still agree by that ruling, because it was the opponent's right. For all we know, we can't make assumptions that they wanted a double benefit.

Papa Smurf, just to clarify some things. The girls waited, got ready to serve, said "Point 14" then immediately served. So how much time does that leave the opponent to agree it is match point when they said "Point 14"?

Anyways, as Steve says, let's leave it like that, we both have our opinions on the matter. And I still suck in badminton :p

4. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Regular Member

Dood if all you have is that.....saying point, instead of matchpoint...then you have no argument. Thats not even an issue here. As for how much time passed, i do not know i was not there, i'm just reading the original post. Just read post #1 by mndtrks. Either way, even if i forgot to call set, immediately after the the opponents tied the game. When i hear "Point"....alarms will be going off that 'hey i'm about to lose this game'. Lets take another interpretation from another section of the IBF rules. It says "if you are not ready when the opponent serves, but you attempt to return it, then you are deemed as ready." In otherwords, just because someone serves it, doesnt mean you have to return it, but if you do then that means you are ready.

5. Papa Smurf

well what else are we going to do? Its just a discussion board afterall. Its nothing personal. Not like i'm going to go from open gym to open gym hunting for people to beat down. We all smurfy here =)

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

only 5 posts before this I quoted the IBF standard for how to call the score... :rolleyes:

7. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

lolol.... You're running out of argument to prove that a lack of etiquette and sportsmanship is actually legit and a good thing. At least, if you were to win, do it the proper way. :p

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Good grief. What a lot of discussion over such a simple issue.

In games that are not adjudicated, you must expect occasional confusion, and even occasional cheating. Live with it.

You can learn to avoid confusion by taking responsibility. Both sides have a responsibility to avoid disputes by calling the score each point, and ensuring that the option to set is clearly taken or refused by the receiving side. Communication is important.

Failing to accept this basic responsibility is childish. Then again, they were child players in this case (well, teenagers anyway) :rolleyes:

You also must learn to deal with cheating. There is very little you can do if your opponents refuse to acknowledge their violation of the rules. Common violations include illegal drive serves, which put the receivers at a disadvantage. You may choose politely to point out the violation, but you cannot be any more forceful. There is no umpire, so if you can't reach an agreement then you are stuck. Annoying, I know. But what can you do?

I repeat: live with it. It's not that important.

9. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

Who would die for something like that? :p

10. Papa Smurf

no no, i'm not saying in order to win you dont need etiquette and sportsmanship. Really, have you been paying attention? The whole time, all i've been doing is trying to find a good ruling, something that if we were able to amend the IBF rule, we could use. Seriously dood read the whole thread. But to save you time, i'll recap, .......Ya know what...its too long, just read the original post.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Some people in this thread seem to be commited enough to do so ;)