Ti-10 or MP100

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by NIck, Sep 9, 2001.

1. NIck

NIck Guest

What do you guys suggest? I'll be playing doubles and mixed and i am a hard smasher thus the choices of ti10 or mp100 with their extra stiff shafts. Ti 10 is head heavy and mp100 is an even distribution racquet. I would still like to generate the same amount of power i have with ti 7 but with more control and i would like better responsiveness when it comes to receiving smashes.

2. Jeff L

Jeff L Guest

MP100 is NOT even distribution, i am SURE it is head heavy.

3. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    It is NOT HEAD HEAVY! It feels so only.

Try balancing it and you'll see why.

Fact is, it has a heavy head, but even balance. We're talking about balance here, not whether the head is heavy.

4. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    gladius!! i sorta understand what you are saying....... but then i sorta don't. would you please care to elbaorate for me please? thank you.

5. Jeff L

Jeff L Guest

but im so confident :( when i hold it it tips straight down, feels like my Ti-10

6. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I think U should buy the Mp 100 if u are just going to play doubles!

I think u can possibly try to get the 3U ti 10 if u aer not all that strong wristed and stuff like that!

SO go ahead and have fun smashing your opponents out of court!

7. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    MP-100, BG-85 strings, Towel grip.

Weight Distribution description:

Head is heavier than most rackets in the market, safe for the Ti-10. However, if you try balancing the racket on its shaft, its weight balance is almost at the dead centre of the racket. That is, if racket is 570mm long, centre of balance is almost exactly 285mm from the handle base.

For shots other than lobbing or smashing, its suggested that you shift the grip towards the upper end of the handle, it makes the racket remarkably responsive. For added power to smash, adjust to the lower end, its absolutely awesome. But then, the Ti-10 still tops it.

This is what I meant by head heavy but even balance.

The Ti-10 is head heavy and top heavy balance. Does that clear things up a little ?

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Sorry, Gladius, but I think there's some confusion of terms here.
    A racquet can be 1) head heavy 2) balanced 3) head light. You can't "combine" these as you seem to do. These concepts are mutually exclusive. If it's head heavy, it's head heavy. If it's balanced it's balanced. Remember that the balance point doesn't stand in relation to overall weight. The balance is objective, it's measured in mm. The FEEL of a racquet can be different (but usually follows the balance, not always though). In other words, a light racquet can still feel heavy in the hand if it's head heavy enough. And, as with the 2U MP-100, it feels head heavy although it's got even balance because it's heavier (overall) than most racquets.

9. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Mag,

There's no confusion of terms used here at all. Please read my descriptions carefully. These terms are not mutually exclusive !!!

The Carb 21 feels head heavy to some people and light to others so how do you explain that ? ( I have the answer but I would like to see what sort of mis-informed ideas people here would generate )

For your information, I interchange between 4 differnet rackets quite frequently. The ISP 900 ss , the Carbonex 25, the MP-100 and the Ti-10.

I definitely know what am I talking about. Point to note is that the conventions used may be different that's all. What I did was a descriptive analogy of the racket. Like I said 'its head is heavy, but balance is even" I even added the numbers...

So do READ the lines clearly before making your unfounded comments !

Thank you.

10. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    The balance (as stated by the manufacturer, for instance) is not subjective, and never has been. Neither is the length of a racquet. Nor is the weight. It's something you MEASURE. It's science, my man. :)

Go ahead and use your personal system of characteristics, Gladius. If it works for you, fine. Just be advised that people around you won't know what you're talking about.

What I think you're saying is that the PERCEPTION of the balance may sometimes differ from the actual balance characteristics. The 2U MP-100 is one such racquet. The balance point in mine lies at 290 mm (w one overgrip), so that's clearly a balanced racquet. But the racquet is so heavy overall it actually feels a bit head heavy when you swing it.

11. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I'd chose the Ti-10 anyday over the MP100. In my opinion the Ti-10 is more solild, powerful and easier to control. Its slightly less powerful than the MP100 but has much more feel. MP100 has almost no feel....

12. Johny

Johny Guest

Head heavy is a character of the racket, this has nothing to do with the balance point. Add a thick grip, then you get a more even balanced racket, but that does not change the head-heavy feeling at all, since it is just the weight of the moving part which has the highest speed count.Byro-Nenium wrote:

13. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    This is getting silly.

If the balance point is closer to the top of the head than to the end of the shaft, then a racquet is said to be head heavy. It's really as simple as that.

14. Blitz

Blitz Regular Member

Daydreaming
    I will highly recommend Ti-10 like Byro anyday too. But actually it's up to your own preferences.

To me, MP-100 really lacks the feel Ti-10 gives. When I smash with MP-100, it feels very "hollow".

Try out both the rackets b4 making ur decisions :)

15. Blitz

Blitz Regular Member

Daydreaming
    I will highly recommend Ti-10 like Byro anyday too. But actually it's up to your own preferences.

To me, MP-100 really lacks the feel Ti-10 gives. When I smash with MP-100, it feels very "hollow".

Try out both the rackets b4 making ur decisions :)

16. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Are you sure you're talking objectively here ?

The term 'head heavy' refers to the balance point of the racket being biased towards the top end of the frame. It does not refer to a racket having a heavy frame 'head'.

As I have described above, it has a heavy head, but the racket has an 'even balance' meaning the centre of gravity almost falls precisely on the mid-point of the racket length. Not 'head heavy' as in having a weight balance point very much nearer to the top end of the racket (frame).

Which is a term that many people seem to have misinterpreted.

And Mag,

Thank you for getting my point.

17. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Mag

I was replying to Johnny in the last one.

18. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Re: Mag

Cool.

(What was that argument about, anyway? ;) )

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My initial impressions with limited experience of both racquets agrees with you.

20. johny

johny Guest

Re: Are you sure you're talking objectively here ?

I just wonder, who defined that term "head heavy"? And if this term has nothing to do with the gameplay why don't we simply forget about it...

As I understand, if "head heavy" is only a technical measure then it is meaningless to talk about it. For example, the TISSR is the most "head heavy" racket in the world: balanced at 307mm. But I guess nearly no one can produce a powerful long smash with that racket, since the head of this racket is so light...

Unfortunately we can not unmount the racket frame and weight it, otherwise things will be much easier.

For my experience, MP-100 is more difficult to use compared with Ti-10, the biggest problem is its shaft: use UltimumTI and thicker than Ti-10.

When you do hard smashes, the two racket are basicly the same. But if your opponent is clever enough, then he will always try to avoid to return to a high position, as a result, most of the time you are doing other shots like quick clear and fast drive close to body, at those situation, the racket should have some flexibility in order to store the too-early-produced powers and release them at the right point.

Slim-shaft-Ti-10 really give me this feeling, but MP-100 ... not very impresive: if you don't put all your power at the exactly right time to hit the shuttle, some of them just disappeared, since the thick shaft can not store the power even for a short while...but this is not always possible during a hot meele.