Throwing the Shuttle up when serving - Is this legal?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Bank Wench, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Bank Wench

Bank Wench New Member

We have a player at our local club who cups the shuttle in their hand and then throws it up when serving. Given the changes in recent years around service rules, I thought that there had been changes where the shuttle could only be ‘dropped’ during a serve, although I can’t seem to find anything in the rules regarding this particular action. The shuttle is still being struck as per the height rules and the players racquet position is also correct.

I just need some clarification regarding the upwards throwing action? Is this action still legal?

2. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Throwing or dropping of the shuttle does not have any mentioning in the rules, so there nothing to discuss. The only thing to notice with throwing style of serve is that since the shuttle usually falling straight down there is a high chance that the player will not hit the base of the shuttle first. It happens when doing a backhand serve. That will be a fault.

#2 stradrider, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    phihag likes this.
  3. whatsthecallUmp

whatsthecallUmp Regular Member

I was looking for vomit, when this thread got pinged.

Not only throwing the shuttle up, but dropping the shuttle down, is also not illegal. For the simple reason, as has been astutely mentioned, the law does not address it.

As a simple rule of thumb, anything that is not prohibited in the law is permitted.

In other words, anything that is not penalised by the umpire, is permitted.

Practically, unless you are caught, just keep doing it.

4. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

As long as the point where the racquet hits the shuttle is below 1.15m then it's legal.

Personally I think it's a bad thing to do as the opponent knows when the serve is coming. when you hold the shuttle you can tactically delay the serve but as soon as you throw/let go your opponent can be alert to the shot.

5. whatsthecallUmp

This is not correct. Not only the point of contact must be below the height, the whole shuttle must be below that height.
    However, just know that this height is of concern **only** when there is a fixed service height device in operation, otherwise the waist level applies.

phihag and stradrider like this.
  6. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

If they banned throwing the shuttle up that would be tough on players like a guy I saw at a tournament who did a high toss serve because he had one arm and had to throw it up with the same arm

dnewguy and Simeon like this.
  7. whatsthecallUmp

Not at all. Many players in the SU classification in Para-Badminton use this method.

phihag likes this.