Those who criticise Malaysia performance in TC

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by Cheung, May 13, 2004.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Please refer to this article :)

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13190&highlight=Misbun+Thomas+cup

It was posted up in January.

If Malaysian supporters want to criticise BAM and their aims in TC, why didn't they do so in January?

Although the loss to Indonesia is a disappointment, who would NOT admit that the match was evenly balanced and could have gone to either team.

No shame in losing to the 5 time consecutive winners of the TC...... (IMHO).

The fact that Malaysia go out in the q/f stage is just bad luck of the draw. But it does not matter if the team goes out in the q/f or the s/f. Ultimately, it's ends up being the same....

:)

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Agreed. Bad luck of the draw (Indon seeded lower than Korea ???) and bad luck during the match (2nd doubles - great fight though). The less said about singles the better.

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I'm happy with that they took the fight to the Indonesians, but the sore point here is perhaps still about Wong CH's remarkably tame loss to Sony. It was as if he was a second rate player compared to Sony. But I do credit Sony for such a sterling performance, but I still find it hard to accept that he could just win *snap fingers* like that. If Wong lost with a better scoreline, then there will be absolutely no complaint.

The first doubles did the business like usual, but the stars of the night is definitely Koo/Chew. They played their hearts out even when knowing that they have a mountain to climb, and nearly made it to the pinnacle. That, does not warrant criticism but praise for the gutsy and never-say-die attitude.

They almost slew Indonesia in Jakarta. Almost. That by itself is an achievement. The only other team to have done so this year is the supreme team, China.

It's all over.
    I'm "Zhong Guo Jia You" now! ;)

4. knighthood23

knighthood23 Regular Member

Whatever it is the end of the day “MALAYSIA LOSS” because of Wong CH. Simple as that.

If Wong CH lost with the better scoreline and give some fight, then there will be no complaint as what mention by wilfredlgf.

Malaysia’s players still need to improve on their consistency.

For the upcoming Olympic Games, I will bet on Malaysia empty handed.

I think Wong CH once again will lose at QuarterFinal. FOR SURE…

:( :mad:

5. TourSpEdition

TourSpEdition Regular Member

Student
    Can't blame WCH.It is just tough luck,since I read the news he had a stomach upset a day before the match. :( Don't put all the blame on WCH eventhough he IS the DECIDER of the match :( :(

6. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Yeah, lets put this defeat behind us and look forward to the olympics. Choong Hann cannot be expected to perform all the time, just hope he will peak when it matters most - during the olympics.
    Also, a resurgent Choong/Lee should perform well in the Olympics. What I have noticed is that when they are in top form, no one can beat them, not the Danes, Indonesians, Chinese or Koreans. I have seen what they are capable of, they are truly the best pair in the world IMHO :) .

7. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    They are also prone to injuries and lacking concentration. Can't believe they lost All-England title just because of the bad umpiring decision.

8. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Yeah, read about this too. Imagine jumping up to smash and... ergh...

9. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Lin Dan got upset stomach too. Didn't seem to affect him.

10. wittychang

wittychang New Member

bad luck for malaysian squad, sure one has to be out among the five super powers for the semi-final qualificaiton. to be frank, malaysian team should rank 3 among the five teams.

also pity for malaysian girls, who are really good in the Uber cup, but still bad draw, i would say, otherwise, maybe a semi-final qualifier, looking forward to the day when both the malaysian boys and girls become a world badminton power

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It is a TEAM tournament!

12. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    If this is how WCH's fans support him I pity him :)

Without WCH Malaysia would have been a real second rate nation in recent years, as it is noone really expected them to beat Indonesia in Jakarta, although as we discussed elsewhere the Indo team was weaker than it has been.

The problem with Malaysian players is always their mental strength at the final hurdle, this goes back to when Yap/Cheah had olympic and world finals and blew it, to previous TC when they had good chances. SUrely this is due to the pressure placed on the media and coaches by the fans, pressure which continues to build as they wait for success. Malaysia lower your expectations and appreciate the players / success you have, even that may not last

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I would agree that the pressure gets at M'sian players, but only in Open tournaments. We've seen Choon Han lost to Xia last year in World Championships and Choon/Lee lost to the lady umpire in All-England this year.

In team events, esp Thomas Cup, they are not normally this way. Else how did we ever beat Indons (1988, 1990, 1992) & Chinese (1992, 1994, 2002).

I agree that the singles players did not play their normal game, but its definitely not caused by pressure.

14. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    For me It was no surprise that WCH lost. When Sony is fresh, and WCH is freash, their game is about speed, and Sony is quicker (partly because of age). When WCH won in WC it was because Sony was tired, so not quick.

I understand peoples thoughts who say had WCH won then MAL could have probably won (they would have been 2-0 up if CTF/LWW won) but WCH loss may have motivated choong/lee more to beat alven/luluk.

it wasnt a forgone conclusion that Santoso would lose, You do all say yourself that the singles is very inconsistent.

15. knighthood23

knighthood23 Regular Member

TourSpEdition,

Don’t be cheated by the Malaysia’s media. Everytime Malaysia players loss at crucial stages, they seems to give excuse and said the players last night got stomach pain…lah …or high fever…lah… All are b**l s**t.

The best part of Malaysia team is they are very good in giving the excuse.

From my point of view, the reason why Malaysia’s badminton getting worst and worst is because of the government policy.

Once a player win a major tournament, government give money..lah.., bungalow…lah…, land….lah….

End up the players enjoys more than practice. Let look at this example. After Malaysia win the Thomas Cup in 1992, what happen with Malaysia team after that.

Secondly, look at the performance of Hafiz after winning the All England.
    :mad: :mad: :(

16. leowjc

leowjc Regular Member

Student
    Yes, I'm agree!

17. TourSpEdition

TourSpEdition Regular Member

Student
    Oh... can't say enough to agree on that. ;)

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. He's super dan...

2. His performance was also below his average, but just lucky enough, his opponent is not red hot Sony, but a lower ranked JP player.