Thomas & Uber Cup - Oceania

Discussion in 'Thomas / Uber Cup Prelim 2008' started by eek!oh!, Feb 9, 2008.

1. eek!oh!

eek!oh! Regular Member

New Zealand qualified for both - woot! Does anyone know why Alan Chan wasn't playing?
    & has Dan Shirley retired. Hes not named in the National squad.

2. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Ahhh yeah I knew there was a name missing (Alan Chan)!! Yeah I'd like to know that too... and yeah I heard Daniel Shirley retired already.

3. eek!oh!

eek!oh! Regular Member

If dan has retired, it would be nice if BNZ put up a tribute! Hes a great player & all round nice guy.

4. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah it did seem to go rather unnoticed...! Heh if that's how we treat our World Champs medalists >_>... I didn't know until my friend went to Auckland recently.

5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Congratz to New Zealand! Both of their Thomas and Uber team has entered TUC Finals Round as Oceania representative in Jakarta,INA.

The result from tournamentsoftware :
    - Thomas Cup : NZL beat AUS 3-2
    - Uber Cup : NZL beat AUS 3-0

The qualifying match finished in one day (08 February/08) because there's only 2 participating countries from Oceania zone, New Zealand and Australia.

6. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    In the Thomas Cup, Australia narrowly went down to New Zealand 3-2 after the Kiwis had taken an early 2-0 lead.

Stuart Gomez and Jeff Tho both lost their singles ties, but after Benjamin Walklate defeated Ethan Haggo and Glenn Warfe and Ross Smith won their doubles match the battle was evenly poised.

The Kiwis prevailed in the finals doubles match however which sees them through to the main event in Indonesia in May.

In the Uber Cup Australia proved no match for New Zealand, losing all three singles matches to lose the tie 3-0.

Thomas Cup tie see: http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/teammatch.aspx?id=19155&match=8

Uber Cup tie see: http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/teammatch.aspx?id=19155&match=24

(from: http://www.badminton.org.au/index.php?id=22&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=240&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2&cHash=97efb873dd)

7. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT

Attached Files: