Thomas Cup 2008 - May 18 - Final - CHN vs. KOR

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by weeyet, May 16, 2008.

?

who wins 2008 Thomas Cup?

Poll closed May 18, 2008.
  1. China

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Korea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

KOR is on a huge roll. They have played their cards right to get to the final (much to the displeasure of tactically naive fans ;)). CHN's not gonna back down, no way. If they are going to relinquish their crown, there's going to be collateral damage.

MS1: LD v PSH. Very close one to call. LD doesn't play well against PSH's style and his record shows. On the other hand PSH has been pushed to the limit in his last 2 matches and fatigue must be a factor. I say no way LD's going to lose 2 matches in a row. His pride won't let him. CHN 1 KOR 0

MD1: Fu/Cai v LJD/JJS. Another close one. Fu/Cai seem to have become more mature tactically and must be considered the best pair in the world. LYD/JJS are in one word, amazing. Anything you hit to them comes back at you. LYB will have prepared a solid game plan for Fu/Cai to tackle the Koreans. CHN 2 KOR 0

MS2: BCL v LHI. Both looked good yesterday in the demolition of their respective opponents. KOR will now be desperate and LHI will be throwing the kitchen sink at Bao in order to salvage the tie for KOR. And he'll just squeak it out. CHN 2 KOR 1

MD2: Xie/Guo v LJJ/HJM. Based on the pathetic schoolboy standard performance put up by the CHN pair, they are going to be flattened by a pair better than Fuzzy. Easy point for KOR. CHN 2 KOR 2

MS3: CJ or CY v SSM. A grand final fittingly comes down to the do-or-die-match. Will CJ be fit to play... is LYB playing mind games with all of us (again)? CY must be practicing like hell just in case. I'll say CJ would give his left nut to play. No way is he going to miss it. Which SSM will show up; the 2004 OG Silver medal or the washed up HH clone? If it does get to this stage, I must give the edge to CHN. It's time they showed they can complete the job against opposition of the highest calibre. FINAL SCORE CHN 3 KOR 2

And BTW, I'm a now big fan of the professional way KOR has approached this Thomas Cup tournament.

#41 madbad, May 16, 2008
    Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    KO vs China is a great testing ground for lyb to gauge how threatening to his chinese players, and do some final tweaking before the OG. Win or lose doesnt matter, LYB wanna see what korea can put out at their redline rpm, or higher, if any.

3. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Do a search on my previous posts, I don't support China all the time, it is only you who labeling me a Chinese supporter. Even when I clearly stated I support LHI during Korea Open. :(

4. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

that will really bother them!

5. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    It is not going to be easy as I highly rate Lee Yong Dae as my most appreciated and respected personnel in professional badminton. LYD's talent and his maturity in the game at this early stage is just nothing less than AMAZING to me.

Li YongBo on the other hand is a genisus and a great strategist in my book.

Back to topic...
    I strongly believe that Korea will win this year's Thomas cup... and in my opinion, the winner of the 1st MD match will determine the winner of the cup.

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Yes, I have to agree Lee Yong Dae is something special, a prodigy if you will. It's been a while since I've seen someone influence a game of doubles (MD or XD). KOR doubles will go through another golden era.

As for the key match in the TC, I agree MD1 is the one. No one should underestimate Fu/Cai as they've gone about their business with the minimum of fuss. And that's always a dangerous thing.

7. kungfukid

kungfukid Regular Member

By far, the best analysis.
    Totally agree that MD1 and MS2 is 50-50.
    But i think BCL has slightly edge against LHI.
    May be 52-48?

8. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    In light of the KOR vs CHN Thomas Cup final, Pemuda's statement is prophetic. The semifinals is the start of the Thomas Cup. Early rounds are jockeying for position.

BWF screwed up by providing a loophole. Exploited. Where's the condemnation on BWF?

KOR comes out as brilliant strategist, having (1) conserved energy and effort and (2) having a wildly fun time, in the group matches.

I'm sure many were waiting for KOR to falter in the quarters and semis, but they've juggernauted through to the finals.

Congrats to KOR.

Malaysia isn't ready to go beyond the semis. LCW is ready, the Thomac Cup 2008 Fairuz/Zakry was ready, but the rest are over the hill, as young as KKK/TBH currently are. A split for the pair has proven to rejuvenate either member (paired with experience, Choon Tan Fook), so let's see if Rexy explores this avenue in the future.

Indonesia with an out-of-shape Taufik was not ready either. Not with a rested KOR team waiting in the semis for them.

-dave

#48 wood_22_chuck, May 16, 2008
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what is said here is profound.

while there is official rule in ensuring that a player, once in court, should play with reasonable effort, there is no rule in place that says a team must field their best player in a team match.

as a result, from the technical point of view, KOR's strategy is legal.

from a strategic point of view, what other proof do we need than the fact that KOR has now earned a spot in the final?

10. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    You are absolutely right.

Just like you said, Fu/Cai are also excellent players, too. In fact, I have always been impressed with Fu's out of the world smashes, and I am a big fan of him... but at the same time, I have to be neutral, and say that at this moment, the momentum is certainly on the side of LYD/JJS ever since AE08.

Both China and Korea players are very very "EXTREMELY" serious about team tournaments, and I expect nothing less than an epic battle.

I am betting on a Korean victory, but it wouldn't upset me at all if China is to win another Thomas cup.:p

11. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

the word is that he got the injury halfway through the game..

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic-I know this is hindsight...

...but what would happen if it was M'sia which played against INA in the Semis, rather than against CHN??..Do you or does anyone else feel they have a chance to upset INA??..:confused:

Anyway, we won't know the answer and i hope if BWF doesn't change the TC & UC system, the MAS, or other teams, will do the same approach as the KOR squad did this yr, in 2 more yrs..Of course, the current teams might be different also in 2 yrs time..:cool:

13. king_kenny

king_kenny Regular Member

Hi, this is my 1st post. try to search for latest news on TC, and found this forum. Nice forum indeed.

My concern about the Korean 'tactics', is that other theam will follow suit, and ppl start throw away games, this is what happen in Asean football in 1998.

...............................................................................................

This is from the infamous 1998 Asean Football Tiger Cup game between Thailand and Indonesia.

"Whoever won would get to face hot favourites Vietnam in the next round, so both teams tried to throw the match," "At 2-2 and with a few
    minutes left, the Indonesians dropped all pretence and turned on their own
    goal, now defended by Thai players.

"In injury time the Indonesian keeper-captain Mursyid Effendi 'saved' the
    ball, turned round and thumped the ball into his own goal for a 3-2 final
    result."

Justice was eventually served, however. For not only did Indonesia and
    Thailand lose their semi-final games (to Singapore and Vietnam,
    respectively) but both were also fined $40,000 for "violating the spirit of
    the game." Meanwhile Mursyid Effendi was banned for life.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Quick rundown..

MS1-If it's the LD we saw in the Semis, it's PSH to take it all the way. Chances are, LD won't repeat the same thing. Crucial pt.
    MD1-IMO, after what i've witnessed in FHF's & CY's match vs. KKK & TBH, this one is 50-50. I think FHF's & CY's defense and attacks are sharp.
    MS2-50-50. It'll be another battle of the lefties.
    MD2-KOR to take it.
    MS3-Wow, 50-50. Should CJ recover in time, he'll take it.

Should be fun..:cool:

#54 ctjcad, May 16, 2008
  15. laonong

laonong Regular Member

This tactic is not invented by KoR. I remember INA used this tactic to China . I do not remember the exact year. China wanted to lose too but China won.

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

From a BC fan point of view, this is a strange final where they are going to cheer against one team rather than for one. It is indeed a very black and white issue. For some, they just can't bear the sight of CHN's dominance and crave for even the slightest crack in the great wall. For others, the farce created by KOR in the group matches has been deemed unforgivable.

As I have said before, I congratulate KOR for taking advantage of the rules and planning their strategy perfectly. Based on the strength of their squad, I'm delighted to see them take their rightful place in the final. However, I am first and foremost Chinese and hence will be donning red when the two teams clash tomorrow. GO CHINA

Whose side are you on?

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Hmm..^^

..i thought you would stay neutral??....:confused: ;)

18. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Now if it was KOR in the Uber Cup final, you know where my allegiance lies...;););):D:D:D

19. chemile

chemile Regular Member

Hmm... I choose KOR will beat CHN, either 3-0 or 3-1.

PSH will beat LD, LD little bit get the difficulties when he faced PSH. If I not mistake, he has beaten LD 1 or 2 times. This is the best opportunity for PSH to beat LD once again. He get high spirit after won from Sony in front of 10,000 supporters of INA.

LYD/JJS also is on fire. The opportunity is 50-50. With support from Indonesia people who watch the match (I think only 5% seat will be occupy, and you may get the tickets easily :p) and want to bring TC move out from CHN, LYD/JJS can get this match and 2-0 for CHN.

BCL vs LHI also 50-50. I think CHN will focus more in this match because the point of KOR is on LHI's shoulders. If LHI can win this match, than KOR will get the title. TC will have new champion!

HJM/LJJ vs XZB/GZ will play if score 2-1. I get the feeling that XZB/GZ will win. SO, KOR must avoid to play this match....

20. masjoko

masjoko Regular Member

guest what happen if both team want to lose during KOR - MAS match. the match will never ends! haha.
    both player will try to give opponents points....