Thomas Cup 2004-Malaysia has hope?

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cup 2002' started by pptam, May 20, 2002.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I think if England continue putting in more effort and and don't stop the money from coming into the sport, why not. The result won't show in 2 years, but in 5-10 years, things might be different. England should concentrate in Europe more first, but should start sending their potential juniors to countries like China, Malaysia, S Korea... for longer periods of time to train.
    England already has a big pool of players...but too little is done to nurture the sport from a young age.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's a fair point. Why not send some of the Juniors to top training camps abroad?

They can then experience
    1) the thrill of badminton being one of the top sports
    2) have closer affinity with the elite players
    3) the experience of training with the top juniors in that country

Apart from increasing skills, the aim should be to motivate these youngsters to aim for even higher levels of badminton.

Perhaps it's a question of money, lack of adventure or nobody really thought about it as a serious idea.

3. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

You are right Cheung. Most English I know will not allow their children to concentrate in Badminton if their child is good in sports. Hell, why not produce more David Beckhams or Tim Henman...they sure earn a lot more. It is very sad really, as badminton is actually unofficially the biggest sport in England in terms of the number of people playing. I am sure there is a kid out there somewhere out there that is waiting to become another Peter Gade or Peter Rasmussen. It is amazing, England invented so many sports for the world to enjoy, but they are now dominated by other countries.

4. CH3WY BOI

CH3WY BOI Regular Member

student
    WHOA pptam...ur the chief coach of the malay team?! that so kool :D
    i would really like to see malaysia win the Thomas Cup in 2004 coz i am of chinese malaysian decent

as they say back in m'sia.....MALAYSIA BOLEH!!!;)

5. ahjoe

ahjoe Regular Member

guys, i'm new here...
    my fav player still PAK JU BONG hehehe although i'm malaysia, but i'm sad, coz it was a big lost that malaysia let him go...
    so i heard PJB is doing coaching in one of the african countries. watch out!
    they might be another competitor for coming thomas cup tour!

i really hope malaysia can grab the cup back this year! Malaysia Boleh!

6. jenanbestari

jenanbestari New Member

I do not agree that foreign coach is better than malaysian coach..look what misbun has done to hafiz (he won the all england champs).. look it this way, you can hire all the best singles and doubles coaches in the world but they will still lack one thing - THE RIGHT APPROACH.. if foreign coach is the answer, than england would have won the world cup (played defensively throughout the tournament), malaysia won thomas cup three years in a row (under morten frost and that indonesian guy).. for me , local coach will know the "mentality problems" that msian players suffer, but also the right way to solve them... give misbun and kim hock a few years, and judge them afterwards, rather than rush thru appointing another korean/danish/indonesian to so called "restore the malsyian pride".. BAM don't have to look far, the malaysian socer team has been under foreign coach for too long, but still can't manage to beat SEA teams...

7. pptam

pptam Regular Member

Senior Executive
    No ultimate solution

I believe there is no perfection in coaching techniques but I always believe with RIGHT APPROACH as me myself had experienced this before.

My vote goes to Misbun. He never give up on his players even they are facing downturn.

However his compassion may become the main wekaness why we lack of rising star lately.

Hafiz, he won the All England cup. But I will not categorise him as TOP player or excellent player because I had saw his games, it is not bizzarre.

HOwever, I saw great potential in Lee Chong Wei but he is a bit shaky sometimes.

I met Hafiz before two week safter his winning at All-England. I was working at Kelana Jaya PArkview. He and his friends were wandering around the building and teasing at girls. Maybe lack of self-discipline had destruct his performance. After all-england his performance dive deep.

mmm....

8. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    Congratulations China Team!

Congratulations China team! for winning the Thomas and Uber cup. From us here in Manila, Philippines. You guys really set up a higher standard in Badminton gameplay. :) The saviour of us Asians in badminton.

9. xiang_chiudong

xiang_chiudong Regular Member

i certainly agree with u. i strongly feel that hafiz won the title because of LUCK, not because of his skills and talent. at that time,chen hong was exhausted after so many matches being played non stop. hafiz was just lucky!!!! after all what is such a big deal ???? winning a cup because of luck???? should we feel proud to have such a player??? we call that as a potential player??? come on. have some respect for us and himself as a player.practise some self-discipline! teasing girls?!:confused: