Thomas Cup 2004-Malaysia has hope?

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cup 2002' started by pptam, May 20, 2002.

1. pptam

pptam Regular Member

Senior Executive
    Malaysia came near to get the Thomas Cup after 10 years waiting for the Crown. But do we still have ope for the crown in 2004?

I doubt it. In 2 years , China will be the mighty wall because they have strong line-up from their youngters like
    -Lin Dan ( the strategist)( and Li Yong bo make a big mistake putting Bao Chun Lai as 2nd seed during their Malaysia match)
    -Bao Chun Lai( aggresive,fast but still need more exposure)
    -Xia Xuan Xe( still can play in 2004, his aim is gold medal at Olympic, a consistent player)
    -Chen Hong,Chen Gang,Luo Yi Gang, Cai Xuan and more.

Double:
    China main weakness but doen't mean they can't improve.
    China has few back-up whi are still in development stage and young. They had won the Asian junior Championship before .
    Zhang wei Zhang jun- can called off for a retirement:)

Malaysia:
    Our youngster still in intermediate stage. Hafiz might had beaten down bao Chun Lai but what I can see interm of skills Hafiz still need home improvement.

Bao lost because he can't play well in pressure situation, he is still inconsistent just like Roslin.

Wong-I am actually look high on this player. If choon Hann upgrade his mental and skills he can be world no.1.

Suggestion: Malaysia player lack of motivation and hardship training programme.
    If you want me to compare between Gong ZhiChao and Malaysia male players , they are far behind Gong because of self-motivation.
    If you read the story how Gong Zhi Chao training up herself to beat up all the payers who has higher advantage , it impressed you.

If I'm the chief coach for Malaysia Team, I will asked them doing Hill Running fortnight,high jump diving ( to train their fear and to enhance waist energy) once a week, wash the badminton court daily with soap and cloth only:)

Anyone disobey, wash all the equipment and tidy up the storeroom daily,hehehe

:p

Ok
    A long e-mail:cool:

2. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Malaysia definitely has good chance in 2004 apart from China.

The below 2002 Thomas Cuppers are not expected to feature in 2004 edition as they are likely to hang their racquet by then:

Marleve Mainaky (INA)
    Hendrawan (INA)
    Budi Santoso (INA)
    Trikus Haryanto (INA)
    Bambang Suprianto (INA)
    Ong Ewe Hock (MAS)
    Roslin Hashim (MAS)
    Choong Tan Fook (MAS)
    Lee Wan Wah (MAS)
    Chen Hong (CHN) --- likely to be another Ji Xinpeng (just glimse of sparkling, that's it)
    Luo Yigang (CHN)
    Chen Qiqiu (CHN)
    Kenneth Jonassen (DEN)
    Anders Boesen (DEN)
    Peter Rasmussen (DEN)
    Jens Eriksen (DEN)|
    Jesper Larsen (DEN)
    Ha Tae-kwon (KOR)
    Kim Dong-moon (KOR)
    Lee Dong-soo (KOR)
    Yoo Yong-sung (KOR)

So, if the others remain the core of 2004 team, line up will be:
    INA
    1st singles: Taufik Hidayat
    2nd singles: Rony Augustinus
    3rd singles: New face (Johan Budi Kusuma or Sony Dwi Kuncoro)
    1st doubles: Chandra-Sigit
    2nd doubles: Halim Haryanto-new face

MAS
    1st singles: Wong Choon Hann
    2nd singles: Hafiz Hashim
    3rd singles: Lee Tsuen Seng
    1st doubles: Chan-Chew
    2nd doubles: New pair

CHN
    1st singles: Lin Dan
    2nd singles: Bao Chunlai
    3rd singles: Xia Xuanze
    1st doubles: Zhang-Zhang
    2nd doubles: Yang-Wang

DEN
    1st singles: Peter Gade
    2nd singles: New face
    3rd singles: New face
    1st doubles: Lars-Jonas
    2nd doubles: Martin- new partner

KOR
    1st singles: Lee Hyun-ill
    2nd singles: Shon
    3rd singles: Park
    1st doubles: New pair
    2nd doubles: New pair

Analysis:
    KOR and DEN will be in to gain exposure for their new players.
    CHN and MAS could easily sweep INA aside with their singles arsenal.

So, next final could be between CHN and MAS.
    A touch-and-go afair!

:p

3. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

You could be right, but a lot can happen in 2 years. The one to look out for will definitely be China.
    Your assessment of other countries would be fair, as I don't see new faces for Indonesia, Korea and Denmark that is really worth mentioning. I think Rony and Sony just aren't that good, and if they don't buck up, they will just be mediocre players. Korea has a young player called Jang Young Soo, but he was a statistic in this Thomas Cup, Lee Hyun Il and Shon might still be around. As for Denmark, they have yet to produce youngsters apart from Niels Chriestien Kaldau...however, they have solid doubles pairing.
    I agree with you about Wong as well, he performed magnificently this time. I don't think anyone came close to him in standard apart from Xia and Lin Dan. He just literally blew everyone away. I hope he start winning some tournaments soon. Don't forget about James Chua as well, he has potential and he is only 21, so if we can find another singles, we will have five good ones again. However, we need a lot of work on our doubles. Even Chan/CHew is not good enough, they need to improve.

4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Just cursious, is Johan Budi Kusuma related to Alan Budi Kusuma?

5. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Yeap, Johan Budi Kusuma is Alan Budi Kusuma's younger brother.

Actually, for the Malaysian team, I only feel that Wong Choong Hann has the real skills. Wong Choong Hann really deserve the credit in his performance during the Thomas Cup. When I saw him on court against Xia Xuanze, I immediately felt he would win! But, he lost to some unfair line-calls. But, what I admire about him is, in the newspaper, he didn't blame the linejudges solely. Instead, he said there are other reasons for his lose. He is really a good player, very humble and not proud. I see a lot of future in him (but sigh, he doesn't have the luck - not a "zhen ming tian zi" (doesn't have the luck of a king))

Others like Hafiz and Tsuen Seng are still lacking in their skills, but they have excellent fighting spirit, it's just this. Chan Chong Ming is good, but Chew Choong Eng is too errorneous.

I'm thinking one thing about Malaysian shuttlers: they don't seem to have devastating skills, skills that many people are afraid of. People is afraid of Gade's and Taufik's smashes and Hendrawan's netplay, but I don't see much people afraid of Malaysian shuttlers. Malaysian shuttlers also normally have weaknesses that are killing them - for example : Wong's backhand defence, Roslin's slow speed, double players who lack the initiative to attack... Even if they have skills in one field (like attack), they lack others... not like Hendrawan and Gade. They have excellent skills (like netplay or attack), but still very good in their defence, drives, etc...

Really hope Malaysian shuttlers would improve a lot and win in future tournaments and Thomas Cup... Especially Wong Choong Hann, I think he had reached his peak, and if he doesn't win any tournaments during this age, I'm afraid he won't get the chance again in the future.

3 things I really hope: 1st. Malaysia win the Thomas Cup and a lot of tournaments,
    3rd. Wong Choong Hann win a number of prestigious events 3rd. Peter Gade comeback (He's my star) 4rd. Tony Gunawan comeback (sigh, seems impossible already). But the happiest thing is definitely to see my home country win...

6. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Yup, I think MAS and CHN will be the teams of the future.

Not too sure about the Korean doubles' retirement though. That is one country that's known for squeezing every drop of blood out of their players. I read some interviews with their doubles - seems like they are determined abt playing till 2004 - whether they continue to maintain the current standard is a different story (Kim/Ha are still good, Lee/Yoo - sigh). Remember the great Park JB even came out of retirement to compete in the 96 Olympics at the grand old age of 32!

7. budiraha

budiraha Regular Member

Indonesia will still win 2004 Thomas Cup

Regardless of what other posts say, I still believe Indonesia will grab the Thomas Cup 2004 for the sixth consecutive times.

For a very simple reason. Indonesia has very good male double players. I'm sure they can get two points easily from the two doubles, so they only have to win one of the three single matches, which should not be difficult with Taufik still around.

Conclusion, I bet Indonesia will still reign..

8. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Taufik was beaten by Lee TS this time around; not all their doubles will carry on until 2004; no one can replace Candra and Sigit; Trikus won't be around for too long; no up-and-coming singles. I find your claim rather baseless.
    But yet I have this feeling that Indonesia will still be quite strong in two years time...strange.
    Don't forget that Malaysia did Indo a favour this time around by taking care of China. The emotional and physical drain on the Malaysians were very great in the semis, so it is difficult to reproduce the same spirit against Indo. I really doubt Indo could have beaten China...seriously. China would have taken all three singles, thus winning by 3-2. No matter what others say, China's singles are just too strong for Indo. Malaysia performed a miracle in the semis, but were somewhat a spent force against Indonesia in the finals.

9. pptam

pptam Regular Member

Senior Executive
    I agree

Indonesia will not be that strong in year 2004. They are depending too much on their senior.

China are gearing up for newcomers. Hope Malaysia has the same plan.
    Malaysia Open will be enxt month at penang, I was told by a friend, MAlaysia junior will enter for this games. See how they perform then
    :)

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think Johan may not be with PBSI anymore. Sony seems to the emerging talent. I think the PBSI have held him back a little. See how far apart he is from Lin Dan and Bao and yet all these three were playing in the same Junior WC and contesting the s/f.

I'd say Sony is worth a top 25 ranking. Maybe there are some rough edges that PBSI want to round off. Or they want him to be more mature to handle the media focus (maybe Taufik was too young)

In 1996, Park played against Indonesia(2nd doubles) in the Thomas Cup S/f in HK. In his doubles match, I think the first game was won by the Koreans 15-0! It was so fast that a friend of mine who went for a toilet break completely missed the 1st game. (That friend was a guy which means short toilet break duration!!!)

11. pptam

pptam Regular Member

Senior Executive
    Lin Dan-more info,please

Dear all,

I had been apart badminton since Zhao and Yang Yang retirement.
    I would like to know more about this player, Lin Dan. I want to know how good is his games, skills and I read an article about China Loss, Li yong Bo was blamed for nominate lin Dan as third player instead second. If Lin Dan in second seed , the story will be different.

Compare Lin Dan and Zhao Jian Hua or YAng YAng, is he achieve the qualities?
    Have you seen him playing before?

Please help.

Thanks
    Regards
    Tam:rolleyes:

12. budiraha

budiraha Regular Member

Don't forget if it was not for an Indonesian coach Indra Gunawan, Malaysia will not stand a chance to go to semis. Taufik was beaten because Indra knows very well his weaknesses.

So Indo did Malaysia a very big favour

:D

13. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

To Budiraha,

Perhaps Indra has the ability to take control of Lee TS mind, that must explain why Lee TS won then. Or maybe it was Indra in disguise against Taufik, and Lee TS was actually Indra sitting at the side lines...that's it, you are such a genius, who would have thought of that.
    I noticed that your comments have a negative slur towards Malaysian players. What I was saying is that beating China itself took a lot out from Malaysia, and to reproduce the same form again might have been asking too much. I am not going to take credit from Indonesia's victory, they performed very well...especially Hendrawan to take the crown. Also, Indra Gunawan is a good coach, and we have also treated him very well, but unlike some countries, all our players are home grown.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Hi wl2172, budiraha (and others),

i'd like to remind everybody that here in BadmintonCentral, we have people from all over the world, each one of us love our own country and naturally will be supporting it.

this, however, is a potential cause of conflict between users. so please be courteous when you post. remember, your behaviour here will ultimately influence others' image of your country. if you are from country X and you act like a certain way, we will think that everybody in country X are the same way. so please, respect others, so others will respect you.

if a user is unable to follow such a simple social rule, then moderator actions will be taken.

remember : respect and courteous.

15. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Apologies to all, and to Kwun. However, I have always practised courtesy and respect to others in this forum and the one before. Budihara's statement was uncalled for. Naturally, I was just coming to the defence of my national players, especially after they tried so hard. It is disheartening to see someone like that posting irresponsible messages. In fact, it is quite disappointing.
    Anyway, apologies to all who have been affected. I have also made some comments that was uncalled for.

16. pptam

pptam Regular Member

Senior Executive
    Let just talk about badminton:)

Dear all,

Let us talk about badminton.
    Let us contribute our comments and ideas what we have from the Thomas Cup 2002 to speculate the end result for Thomas Cup 2004.

This is a sharing basis. No offence.
    Let see it as generAL.

Thanks
    Tam
    p/s sorry if the 'Topic' I had posted create misunderstanding
    :eek:

17. budiraha

budiraha Regular Member

To wl2172:

It is very obvious that your comments have negative slur towards Indonesian player. It is also very obvious that you are a big supporter of Malaysian Players, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Please don't flame me for supporting my country's players.

I don't think my posting was irresponsible, all I said was my believe that Indonesia will still win Thomas Cup 2004. What is wrong with that? That's my opinion, and if you have other opinion, it's your right. It is very disappointing to see a person who can not conceit defeit. Anyway, apologies to all who have been affected. I have also made some comments that was uncalled for.

Cheers.

18. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I don't want to take this discussion any further, my apologies to Budihara and others, and of course Kwun.

19. y0ng

y0ng Regular Member

Engineer
    I believe this year is Indonesian year, they are too strong for others.
    Indonesia has 2 very good doubles (will be the best if Tony around)
    Only korean pair can compete against Indonesian pairs, but Korean singles are weak.
    If Indonesia faces China, Indonesia will get point from 2 doubles, and one from Taufiq or Hendrawan.
    Do you think China second and third players can beat them?I doubt it.

2004 TC, I predict China or Malaysia will win, they have a lot of very good young players.

20. patrick01

patrick01 Regular Member

office
    winning

i think England will win the thomas cut next time hahaha (i bet you are all laughing now)