This year's All England is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2013' started by Hakular, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    What excuses ? Even I say, total failure in ae is not a problem for china. This tournament only important for Ina, but not for china

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    It is perhaps difficult for some people to understand the pre-eminent position that the AE has enjoyed in badminton. This has to do with history, as much as anything else. But if it were history alone, the AE would have been history by now!

That is not the case. The AE is alive and well, and still highly regarded by all pro players from every corner of the globe. Fans may bicker and bitch about it's importance and position depending on how their favourite players/countries have done or not done, but that hardly makes a difference to the ground reality. The spokespersons for national teams may issue statements that cover or review their position in any year, and it is not at all unusual for these statements to vary from year to year, sometimes even season to season. That is politics, positioning, and mind-games, and it is a result of many force vectors that go much beyond badminton or the idea of a game.

That is not what we really need to propogate here on BC. I think everyone needs to take it down a notch, please. :)

3. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Here an analogy i think might be useful; is Wimbledon still a major tournament if Nadal, Federor, Djokovic, Murray did not play in it?

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Haha yes, and always will be. Players come and go, Tradition, history and culture lasts, Wimbledon defines tennis. Half of the people that go to watch at Wimbledon don't even follow tennis and wouldn't even follow any of the other majors never mind atp tourneys, crazy but true.

5. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Full of 3 months of training for mickey mouse ae ? :p. Just count it. From SS finals (Dec 12 - 16) to to AE (March 5 - 10), that is full 3 months, right? :D. And don't forget about Korea SSP in January, 9 days holidays in mid February, and Germany open. Full 3 months, right ? hahaha :p

6. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Warm-up ? Totally wrong ! they looks down to all england. no problem if they Lose in R1, bcoz ae was nothing for china. :p. If warm-up is correct, then why saina compete in AE - Swiss ? AE as warm-up for Swiss open ? :p.

#106 Fortune, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  7. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    I didn't follow tennis, so I don't know what their perception about wimbledon. But in badminton, China only care about OG, WC, and CBA tournaments. AE ? No way ! :p

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i think China cares most about the following (in this order):

1. OG
    2. Thomas/Uber/Sudirman
    3. WC
    4. Asian Games
    5. All England
    6. Other PSS events
    7. SS events
    8. Asian Championship (which is a GPG event)
    9. other GPG events
    10. GP events

9. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

On that note, am I the only one who find it disconcerting when GC mentions "Asian Champions" to reference the Asia Badminton Championships? I always go "huh" then "oh she's not talking about the AG".

10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I share your opinion except that Asian Games is number 2.

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

In tennis there are 4 grand slams, and Wimbledon is not more important then the others. Actually, it is the less important.