third day

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2003' started by Zax, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Zax

Zax Regular Member

badminton promotor :)
    The third day will be very important.
    In group 2 some things are already decided,
    but group 1 has China-Korea and Indonesie-Denmark to look forward to.

Now that is going to be some badminton!!
    Any predictions for the matches?

2. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Like 2 years ago, I guess Korea & Denmark not wanted victory for tonight match. For Korea no matter meet Indonesia or Denmark at SF, They will send not strongest line up tonight to save the power in SF. For Denmark is hard to win over Korean double (WD, MD & XD) but if meet China only WD as weak point.

3. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I think Denmark will have more trouble against China than against Korea. Against Korea, their MS and WD should be able to get the 2 points and all they need is one more point in any of the 3 doubles events. In WD, they have small chance, but I think Lundgard/Erikson has good chance against either Kim/Ha or Lee/Yoo in MD. Also, Denmark's XD is quite strong and they can field either Erikson/Schjoldager or BF's very own JR and Olsen. Against China however, Denmark would have much more trouble getting the points in singles as China could field either Chen Hong or Bao CL (who has beaten PG at AE this year). Also, Queen Camilla is not back to her old form either and any ZM or ZN would be good choices against her. In doubles, the only one that Denmark has decisive edge is MD, while China can get WD for sure and good chance in XD with Zhang/Gao back in top form.
    The team in the top 4 with lowest chance to advance is Indonesia IMHO. Taufik has knee problems and their women players are decent at best. Their best pairing would be MD but even Sigit/Chandra are not invincible as they lost to Clark/Robertson today in good fashion!
    But either way, in any of the clashes between these teams it will be definitely a 3-2 edging for the winner except against Indonesia which really only looks strong in MD at this point.

4. Johnny

Johnny Regular Member

Programmer
    Well in my opinion it doesn't really matter whether Denmark meet China or Korea in the semifinal, because they will have to beat both teams if they want to win the SC.

Indonesia isn't looking that strong, and I don't think they will reach the final.

If I was the Danish coach I would rest the best players against Indonesia so that they are ready for the semifinal.

5. Johnny

Johnny Regular Member

Programmer
    Denmark - Indonesia

MS: Peter Gade - Sony Dwi Kuncoro
    LS: Camilla Martin - Dewi Arisandi Tira
    MD: Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen - Halim Haryanto/Yulianto Alven
    LD: Rikke Olsen/Ann-Lou Jørgensen - Lilyana Natsir/Eny Erlangga
    MX: Jens Eriksen/Mette Schjoldager - Nowa Widianto/Vita Marissa

Looks like Indonesia is resting some of their best players...
    Denmark has opted to play Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen in MD, probably to spare Jens Eriksen from playing 2 matches before the semis.

6. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I am watching results of the match between Indonesia versus Denmark and China versus Korea. Both Korea and Indonesia seem to be putting forward weak teams. I can understand Indonesia's reason as they probably know they have no chance, but Korea should put a stronger team so they can top the group if possible and avoid playing Denmark in the semi-finals. China will prefer to play Indonesia in the semi-finals and China is almost assured of beating Indonesia in XD, WD, WS, and are favored in MS; Indonesia has the edge in MD. Surely Korea will prefer to play Indonesia than Denmark???:confused:

Ron

7. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Update: Sung Hwan Park beat Chen Hong in the first set. Maybe Korea has something up its sleeves:p . China is still up one match in the team competition.

Ron

8. ronk

ronk Regular Member

As expected, China has won its tie leading Korea 3-0 at this point and Denmark has won its tie, leading Indonesia 4-0.

So China plays Indonesia (China is pretty much in the finals), and Denmark plays Korea for the second spot in the finals. The Korea-Denmark game should be interesting.

I guess that China will prefer to play Korea in the finals.

Ron

9. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Malaysia beat Japan (3-1 at present) and Hong Kong beat Ukraine (4-1). So Malaysia will play Hong Kong for promotion to group 1.

Ron

10. fan

fan Regular Member

They will put on their bests for the showdown between Denmark and Korea in the semi. I think it will take a lot out of whichever wins.

Yeah, Korea should have tried their best to be the top team in group-A, maybe they did. China should have much more left in the tank if they ever get to the final.

Also it will be interesting to watch the match between Sweden and England.

11. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Another interesting match is between Hong Kong and Malaysia for promotion to group 1. Malaysia has the edge over Hong Kong in MS and MD, but the third match was won by Wong Miew Choo in all 3 games. While Miew Choo is consistent and good (and she might go far), she will be playing against Wang Chen (#2 ranked player in the world). However, Wang Chen is not undefeatable as evidenced by the Hong Kong - Germany game. The Malaysian XD and WD have been disappointing. Anyway, Malaysia did surprise Japan and squeek by Taiwan. Maybe the Malaysian XD team might come to its own finally.

Ron

12. miffy

miffy Regular Member

when they've got the time 18:00 on the website, does anyone know what time that would be in Sydney, AUS?

13. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Will Wang Chen be playing Singles? If Ling Wan Ting plays singles (and she has a great chance of beatin Wong Miew Choo), HK can maximize its chance of winning by having Wang Chen play both doubles and mixed.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    HK vs M'sia is going to be very interesting indeed.
    If anything, HK should be favoured in the women's singles, doubles and mixed. It's going to be tight!

15. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    And don't count the HK men out yet. Despite being underdogs, Agus and Liu/Njoto might have what it takes to pull upsets on Lee Tsuen Seng or Choong/Lee.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hmmm... HK beating malaysia, that will be something.....

17. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Hi guys,

I am putting my head ahead of my heart here, but I think HK will emerge as group 2 champions tonight based purely on the strength of their women.
    I am not saying that Malaysian girls are not doing well, on the contrary, Wong Miew Choo has been great so far as she has beaten Japan's top girl. She also seems to be able to handle pressure well. The XD and WD are not doing so well at the moment, with probably Khoo Kien Keat getting the shakes in such a big tourny. Also, Choong/Lee put up a dismal performance last night against the Japs, they were really living life on the edge!! Lee TS struggled mightily against Taiwanese guy the day before. Therefore, no guarantees in men's department as well. All in all, Malaysia has to get its act together for a decent chance of beating Hong Kong, and I hope they do indeed put up a good fight at least.

MALAYSIA BOLEH LAH!!!!

18. Zax

Zax Regular Member

badminton promotor :)
    Malaysia - Hong Kong

This will be the match of the day, as it seems on paper.
    Wong Miew Choo really put on a show on thursday, she was very strong.
    I also trust that my favorite player Lee Tsuen Seng will do well against Haryanto... but we'll see what happens tonight.

- Mark.

19. ronk

ronk Regular Member

If Wong Miew Choo can beat Wang Chen or the whoever plays WS for Hong Kong, Miew Choo has just gotten her break through game and might move up.

Ron

20. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Turns out HK is indeed pitting Wang Chen against Wong Miew Choo. The outcome of the game taking place beforehand (XD match between Koon/Njoto and Koo/Chin) may affect the performance of the Wong Miew Choo dramatically. If Koo/Chin loses, the young Wong Miew Chew may not be able to handle the pressure of (if she loses, Malaysia will be down 2-0), thus she probably won't be able to be at her best.

Nevertheless, Wong Miew Choo beating Kanako Yonekura is a huge accomplishment itself. Her reputation has surely improved.