Thinking of joining... How's the level and friendliness

Discussion in 'Vancouver Racquets Club' started by visor, Feb 20, 2013.

1. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    Hello from old time dinosaur member me.. I have been a member of the VRC since the 90s. Joined as a summer member and have never looked back since. It was tough in the beginning..getting killed by all the good players when I originally played the Mixed Ladder night on Thurs, but if you are patient, and persverere, you will make friends and make up your own groups. There are nice people and not so nice people there , as there is everywhere. I think the " clique" tag is unfair in that most people arrange games and then get out there to have those pre-arranged games with a set of 4 people . For example on Tues nights, if you don't have a set group of 4, it is very difficult because that is doubles time and thats what everyone does. Again, it is getting to know people gradually and you will get your own groups. The best place to meet new people is to play on the MOn ladders and Wed social nights. Also, maybe introducing yourself to some of the directors, and asking for them to introduce you to some of the long time members would help. As for the club dying, I would say that would be true for a few years ago, but since the emergence of the new president this year, he has really done a good job with the membership drive and gotten the Badmintology Group of young people to join. These guys are very enthusiastic and good players. They have definitely re-invigorated the club. So much so that the Thur Mixed Ladder usually has a 5 court wait and the games are amazing. As for the head coach...havent seen him around..and we do need some new, good coaches.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I should also mention that VRC has a summer only fees (May to Aug) and I believed that they prorate the fees so if you join today, it is prorated based on the number of days left. It's a good way to try out the club and the facilities.

3. adam2261

adam2261 Regular Member

EXTREMELY UNFRIENDLY, the people there look like they are going to stab you anytime, especially the old grandpas and grandmas

4. visor

visor Regular Member

@adam2261
    Sorry to hear this. There are always some bad apples around anywhere you go. Last time I was there at mixer night everyone was pretty friendly. Mind you no one likes to lose, so they don't tolerate well lower level players there. Best is to go with a partner or someone you know to match up or introduce you.

5. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    Adam, can't speak for everybody at the club and I see that you are 18 and so is considered a junior. The evening sessions tends to get really busy and yeah, they do try and keep it to the adults but I think if you are able to play at a high level, there is tolerance. I have seen the adults/juniors mixed and played games together.

I have played at various times (day and evenings) and depending on the sessions, I find that sometimes you can't get a game mainly because the folks have arranged for a foursome and thus preferred to play multiple games amongst the group of four. There are other groups that are open to players joining them (I have had no problems doing so from the various different times that I try out the club).

For those interested, the club is running a special 15% off membership if you sign up before August 15th. (for folks who have not been memberships the last two years).

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How many visitors can a member bring in?

Is there a waitlist for membership or pretty much apply and be accepted straight away?

7. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Heh... if they are having a 15% discount, that means the wait list is nonexistent. :)

15% off!? Wow, that's something to think about.

8. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    The numbers at the VRC has dropped over the last number of years given the number of other badminton facilities that popped up over the place and there is no waitlist nor any initiation fees.

A member can bring as many social guests as they want but can only sign in one playing guest and the member must be on site during the time that guest is on site.

The promo is done in conjunction with the Badmintology Team Championships event currently happening this weekend (a number of those competing are members of the VRC).

The fees are prorated to April31st so it is a very good deal. PM me for more information if anyone is interested.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    One playing guest is very restrictive! Of course the membership is dropping. :)