Things you hate about badminton!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wizbit, Dec 14, 2002.

1. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I don't hate playing with weaker players, I also play level doubles so the get a chance rather than the rear-front formation where I take all the shots. I hate paired with a more stronger player, because he will just tell me to stand at the front, at the T to netkill any lose shot, while he takes the others. What i hate most that this kind of treatment (weaker at front, stronger at back) has stopped me (and many other) from learning to become better.

actually shouting can be funny, here are some...
    Tiger cock
    Grandpa with too much wishes
    You're not playing with...
    I'll be serious this time
    He's still not hot enough
    Grandpa is forced to do some morning run
    Bucuo
    haaah!!!
    Ting...
    etc.

what I hate is.
    1. an old player who wants and tries to takes most of the shots and then says to me "I'm tired, you do something". How can I do something! my racket will clash with you
    2. I also hate when I smash from rearcourt and my partner is at the side, not at the front.
    3. I hate when I fumble the easy shots, smashes going out or net shots where the shuttle just sticks to my racket.
    4. I don't hate playing with weak players, but playing them all the time is unsatisfying.
    5. Having to argue with another group about the court usage
    6. The Basketball, baseball or volleyball team that uses the court although there are courts outside.
    7. basketball rings that obstruct the courts that can be used.

2. Nova89

Nova89 Regular Member

I hate how potentially dangerous the sport can be to your eye - injury/blindness. I hate how choosing a racket can be a tough call for some people and that they are forced to spend ridiculous amount of money on a racket that wont suit them and also...If birds are being hurt to make shuttlecocks then I guess I hate badminton for that as well.

3. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    When you break your strings and have to pay for new ones.... Unless you're a stringer...

4. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

When you're a stringer and everyone seems to break their strings at the same time so you have to go through a stringing marathon

ucantseeme likes this.
  5. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

this reminds me of one thing i hate: players who want to get warmed up on the field but refuse to warm up their body before that
    so they come to court completely cold and want to play around to get warm..which obv. takes a little while..that is a) superboring for me! and b) costs me a lot of precious training time! as i am still ambitious
    our gym is open for 4 hours, im often there for more than 3,5h and there is some coming and going obv...so it can happen that i have to warm up a few people..very annoying..just warm up your body before that dudes!

it would be pretty rude to deny their wish on the other hand..

6. Dimo

Dimo Regular Member

Pre-Raphaelite & Classic Art
    1/ In a match, having a partner warm up trying to play half-court singles!

2/ Too few players interested in training and developing skills.

3/ Lack of TV / media coverage.

4/ When televised, matches never seen from slightly elevated, side-on position.

5/ Getting older and needing glasses! (sometimes)

7. Optimal

Optimal Regular Member

Self employed
    Clubs that play with feather shuttles you wouldn't even warm up with, and organisers looking at you like your an alien when you ask for a new one.

That badminton is a body breaker : (

Opponents that hold their racket in the way of your net kills.

Bad lighting.

Attitude of some players that know they are a little better than everyone else in the club and walk round with their racket up their arse.

8. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

Is that legal?

9. Optimal

Optimal Regular Member

Self employed
    No, thats against the rules but players do it anyway.

I'm not the kind of player to make a thing out of it.

10. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

I'll have to remember that, we have a player that has to win at all costs and he does this sort of thing..

11. Husky

Husky Regular Member

Things I hate (tounge firmly in cheek!):
    #1-Losing to a player in singles who's bad technically compared to me but just so fast round the court that it doesn't matter.

#2-Playing doubles with a partner who just goes for every shuttle, then the shuttle they *should* take, which is 9 miles away from where you are/ on your backhand and behind you/ all of the above they leave and then glare at you for not making it. Or the variation of this which is going for a shuttle that they should leave and then leaving you completely stranded when they can't get a racket on it

#3-'Radar malfunction' - For no apparent reason, playing well having warmed up properly and everything, one of the 'anchor shots' starts missing - like the straight clear in MS or the smash down the line or my serve (MS/MD). Needless to say, this starts happening in a 'should-win situation like #1, or when you're halfway through the rubber game of an important match!

#4-'Retard-itis' - you know, the one where you keep gifting your opponent points by doing the same thing you know wasn't working just because you're stubborn. Or bored. Or too tired to think. Like trying to backhand smash your way out of trouble rather than make the extra effort and play round-the head. Or trying reverse slice smash in singles.

12. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    If it obstructs the stroke, it is illegal, but if it's far away and doesn't obstruct the stroke, then it is legal.

13. aliana albab

aliana albab New Member

Gonna post on this thread even tough it's way long time ago since this was created.

I'm just a club player, not trying to enter or join any tournament, so my prescriptive in this are as a club player. So the things i hate in badminton are:

I hate playing with people who thinks they are better than you and they would look down on you. They are just club player but since they already played for a long time they think they know how to play better than you. There's a difference between people who give you advice or pointer but this feels like they gonna blame it on you if they lose a point or you make a small mistake. I'm not an expert my self but i know how to carry myself and i would let them know if my mistake are obvious.

I hate when people keep doing this fancy tricks but cannot do some simple routine like basic stroke or smash. Example is that they keep doing special wrist action that sometime works like wonder but sometime it fail.

I hate it when we cannot find places to play. Even when we found a public place that should be free to use by anyone they wouldn't let us play because they already book and own that space so no one would dare to join with them. Mouth to mouth talk didn't help at all. They would say their other friends are waiting in line to use their space(court). Also sometime people will not try to play with you because you're not a good player as them.

I hate it when your opponent keep shouting annoyingly and always keep misleading you saying the shuttle was out. Now i know this might be a strategic and mind game to keep your opponent to lose focus but come on it's just a normal game, it's not like we're competing for Olympic or in a tournament.

I hate it when people get too competitive, they would become stressed and bring down the mood when they're losing. I would prefer to play a healthy game and just for fun, winning or losing doesn't matter as long you play your game very well. Unless we're in tournament then of course i get it.

I hate it when they want you to follow their strategy all the time and wouldn't let you play the way you want to play. Actually in this case it might work well on some moment but when you play with new player they would do this and keep asking you to follow their way all the time. This always make me stressed and destroy my game. When i play i would try to follow my partner rhythm for example sometime they would move and stay in awkward or uncomfortable area but i always try to cover an empty space or try to help them all the way instead of blaming them or letting them down.

I hate it when my partner who is also a friend who criticize me, he would say your not that good covering in the front area are you? He said it in a slow voice but i get his message. I believe we are in the same standard of play but i just played one bad game at that time then he criticize me. I never say anything bad on him when made an error or even bad execution because even he play one bad game at that time i know he still be a good player on the next game we play and i don't underestimate him. Even when he gave me advice on how to play i would gladly listen but when i started to try to give some tips, yeah he wouldn't listen. I guess he know he's a lot better player than me huh.

I hate it when your partner suddenly in pain but they wouldn't stop play. I asked them to take it slow or take a short break with another person to replace you for a while but they insist to keep playing. They gonna take time or show their in pain when they lose a point or something and it's kinda annoying. It happened when i play single game too.

Lastly, I hate my self for caring all of the above *$#@ matters. Wish i could just ignore all of this and just play but it's so bothering. In the end it's just my rants and i should suck it up and move along.

I'm just an average player not a beginner and i wouldn't even look down on beginner as they can help me to practice and improve my shot and receiving the shuttle. I like to play for fun and for a healthy workout.

Oh,i don't know if this count but i like to warm up and do some stretching before playing but all my friends wouldn't do that, they just get straight into the court and start to play game almost immediately. It's kinda disappointing :D

#473 aliana albab, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  14. Obito

Obito Regular Member

1. A partner who never learn or at least try
    2. People who judge another player when they play with beginners. Personally, I dont go hard playing with beginners. Actually, I love to offer them opportunity to play kill shot. I never play to win against weaker players. Therefore, people always take me for granted because I dont mind playing for beginners, but they think they better than me which I proved them wrong every time xD , but in the mean time they still think that because I got a good partner ;P In double, a good player couldnt win a match. You need two good players to win the game.
    3. People who just love to play against each others . I understand it's good for bucks, but this is club playing sports. People in the club need to dedicate something and improve the whole club not just playing with the same people because it s fun and best for their bucks.
    4.Stupid partner. We absolutely can't blame anyone on their skill because it depends on player, but we could actually blame someone from not reading the strategy and learn how to proper play the sport especially in double. Well for god-sake, learn at least the differences between attack and defense formation and know how and when to apply it.

aliana albab likes this.
  15. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire Regular Member

This is a comment about professional badminton. Maybe it belongs in the "professional players" or "tournament" sections but I decided to put it here for now.

I'll preface this by saying that I love most everything about badminton, but I HATE the fact that the Olympics/World Championships just seems to tower over every other individual event and allows a player like Carolina Marin to do little all year long, win the WC and be hailed as the greatest player of all time.

I can't say I know what the solution is, and I know the BWF just overhauled its tournament schedule so my comment is probably even less relevant that it would have been a year ago, but I thought I'd throw this proposal out there and see what people think:

Although obviously money is always the bottom line and I'm not up on what's financially feasible, I think badminton needs to create a 4-major per year system (like tennis and golf) and take drastic measures to make that happen. What I would propose is a system in which the WC/Oly and three other tournaments (All England Open, Indonesia Open and China Open) are rebranded as "The Majors." In tandem with that new label, each would offer massive amounts of ranking points (at least triple what any other tournament offers). There also should be a big gap between the ranking points the winner receives compared to the runner-up and a big gap between what the runner-up receives compared to the semi-finalist, etc. So, for example, those tournaments could offer 5,000 points to the winner, 3,000 for the runner-up, 1,500 for the semi-finalists and 750 for the quarter-finalists. All other tournaments that aren't "The Majors" would offer much fewer ranking points - maybe 1,500 points max for the winner. With these tournaments, prize money should be good, but wouldn't be the important thing. As it stands now, there's no money offered at the WC/Oly, yet those are the tournaments everyone wants to win.

Now, what is the "point" of all these ranking points? These points would be needed to qualify for a week-long, year-end event that offers no ranking points but a huge cash payout. I don't know what numbers are realistic, but ideally US$500,000 to the winner, $250,000 to the runner-up, etc. My idea is that a very small number of players - maybe just 4 in each of the five divisions - would qualify for that year-end event. Those select few individuals/teams could then compete in a one-group round-robin stage and try to qualify for a one-match final showdown for all of that cash.

I figure that under this format badminton players (who are nowhere near as wealthy as tennis players, for example) could not ignore that amount of money. On top of that, by specifically labeling four tournaments a year as "The Majors," the fans would eventually go along with it and start keeping track of who has the most major titles. A player like Marin would no longer be able to focus exclusively on the WC/Oly and let other players win everything else. The WC/Oly would still be important, and surely the Olympic gold would remain the ultimate prize because of national pride. But the other three Majors would be nearly as important, just as there are 4 huge tournaments a year that everyone wants to win in tennis/golf.

s_mair and ucantseeme like this.