thick string vs thin string at same tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ChocoChipWaffle, Jul 8, 2022.

1. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

I'm wondering what the effects of having a different string at the exact same tension.

I wanted to compared BG 80 at 28lbs vs AS at 28 lbs

for example,

durability: 80 > AS
    power on full smashes: 80 > AS

I know these two for sure, but I'm hoping I can find out about the following categories, so if you could help me fill in the > or < below, that will be great

size of sweet spot: 80 AS
    repulsion on shots like underhand clears: 80 AS
    repulsion on soft shots like netshots: 80 AS

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Im long time 0.65-0.66 gauge string user.
    Sometimes love to try different brand string around that gauge but my standard are 66um.
    Today i set my racket to BG80. Its been like forever since i use this string & i think that time i didnt even know the different but just smack the shuttle with my racket.

So in compare thin string vs thick string (for this case BG80). thick string are less repulsive thus require more power when doing power shot like clear or smash. But otherhand as its not to bouncy, the control are much better. Could say what you give are exactly what you get. My shot having better consistency. Then the sweetspot are somewhat smaller on the same tension.

3. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

These are guesses, so other people can correct me if I am wrong, BUT.

If you want more repulsion on lifts, then the string with faster smashes should win. You're doing a smash, just in an upward direction.

Size of Sweet spot. This shouldn't be down to the String at all. It would be down to the racquet design (stringing pattern). Changing the tension of the string could make the spot bigger or smaller. I guess more tension makes for a smaller sweet spot, but that's just me guessing.

Repulsion on net shots would probably be described as "control".

I have a question to ask you though. Is your BG80 regular BG 80? My stringers' favourite string is BG80 Power.

4. Eix82

Eix82 Regular Member

I used to play with bg80, but moved on to Aerobite boost, so I don't have not played with bg80 for a while, but they did feel quite similar to me (with ABBT being slightly better).
    I did compare ABBT with AS for a while. And AS did have more repulsion, so both clears and smashes were easier/faster. However it also had more repulsion at the net, so it was harder for me to control the shuttle with tight netplay, the shuttles often bounced a bit too high. It's probably at least partly related to how used you are to a string (if you play enough with it you probably can control the netshots well also), but in the end I decided I wanted tighter control over the repulsion, so I stayed with ABBT.
    And the sweetspot did seem slightly smaller with AS, but that was not a big difference.

So tldr:
    size of sweet spot: 80>AS
    repulsion on shots like underhand clears: 80<AS
    repulsion on soft shots like netshots: 80<AS

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I don't want to always be the guy who kill the threads, but this comparison at same tension make no sense. As stated each string behave different and have far more characteristics than just the gauge. It also depends on the player and which tension he/she pick from "lowest tension, he/she tolerate and play" to "highest tension, he/she can tolerate and play". I would take such experience based "data" with a pinch of salt. Especially sweet spot size can be related on a good day/bad day and opponents who put more/less pressure on you, the skill of the player and the biggest one: the taste and liking. As long as the rackets are not identical and strung at the same day by the same stringer and tested in various drills with the same partner, we have a so huge bias, that these statements become more opinions than real guidelines.