Thick Grip Vs. Thin

Discussion in 'Grip' started by huchmo, Mar 12, 2009.

1. AniChatt

AniChatt New Member

Geologist
    I have tried both extreme ends in court for long.

Exp 1: Stock grip+towel grip+over grip. Result - very thick grip and a lot of cushion. It is comfortable to play since my fingers are long but it eventually makes difficult to change forehand, neutral, backhand grip. And you can not even feel the vibration.

Exp 2: Wood+cello tape cover+2 medium thick over grip. Result - moderate thick grip and now I can feel a vibration feedback from the racket and it is also very easy to maneuver. Much better than Exp 1.

Exp 3: Stock grip. Result - thin grip very hard feeling and lot of feedback from handle. It's horrible for me and I have not tried it for more than 5 days.

Exp 4: Victor cushion wrap GR-50 over wood (thickness: just to reduce wood like feel) + Cello tape cover to protect it + 1 mid thick over grip. Result - Wow its just too good for me. Currently I am using this combination in all of my rackets. The advantages are,
    1. It is too light and it does not alters the balance point of the racket and your racket will remain in a situation the way it's meant to be played.
    2. Reduces some vibration and gives a decent cushion feeling and what I think is it protects your elbow too for some extent.
    3. Super cheap. One roll of GR-50 can be used at least for 10 times.
    4. Gives a perfect balance of no balance point alteration, cushion, not too thick not too thin, price:performance balance.

For those having tennis elbow, don't use 6U racket. Very light racket increase this problem like too heavy one. Best is 4U racket which is balanced or slightly head light.

2. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

What is a real thin and thick grip? I think the data only makes sense in relation to the hand.

[​IMG]

My hand = 19,5cm
    My Yonex G4 racket + factorygrip + 1 Karakel 0,75mm overgrip (2 layer) = 9,3cm

8,5cm is the minimum for me. 9cm+ feels good on my head-heavy racket.

Thin, thick or normal? What is your hand length and handle diameter?

#62 BadBadmintonPlayer, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017