The video about LinDan and LiMao

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by ThinkRiver, Jan 27, 2008.

1. morphy

morphy Regular Member

Another thing too, if LM was doing that what language was he using towards the umpire? English if he can even speak it? Doubt the umpire would understand Mandarin.

Probably the only one who understood him was LD and that was probably what set him off (throwing the racquet), not what LM was shouting to LD but at what he saw LM trying to do - to influence the umpire.

2. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

According to LM interview, he didn't say anything to the umpire, just "stand up" to show his concern and gestured "in" and thus "pressure" the umpire.

LM try to influence the umpire so LD threw a racket at him? :D

LD said LM shouted to him, "if all disputes are settled in your favor, then what's the point having this game played?" (forgive my bad English). LD felt insulted since this implies he win with the umpire's help.

3. morphy

morphy Regular Member

So LM was gesturing instead of verbally communicating to the umpire that the shuttle was in. yeah that makes sense.
    Still tho I don't think that's his job..should be between the umpire and the linesperson.

Guess part of the blame is for allowing coaches to sit that near...may have to review that policy. Pretty sure that will be looked at.

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Badzine quoted the same sentence too, maybe translated from LD's statements. LD also said he shouldnt have reacted so emotionally.

5. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Before I watched the video, I learned about this incident from from everyone's postings. I picked up the descriptions of the event from here and there and pictured in my head what was happening. Of course my opinion tended to be bias too.

After watching the video, I have a better understanding now what happened. It was really not as dramatic as I initially thought. I also changed my opinion about the whole thing. This is just a show started by LD and his coach. Regardless if the line call was good or bad, LD coach was the first one who started the show. He touched Li Mao first and that itself was an act of provocation. LD then followed him and put up another show by inviting a fight.
    If you think what Li Mao did was wrong, then shoot LYB as well whe he shouted at LCW like a moron.

We all should not waste time here discussing about this incident, its just a really BAD show put up by LD and his coach...and maybe this is how they want to promote badminton in OG08 !

6. w3wmfhe

w3wmfhe Regular Member

7. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    wow..LD walked thru LHI's court.....not good for LD...haiya!

8. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    wow... LD is more 'bad-boy' than taufik... taufik will always shake opponent's hand eventough he has been 'cheated' by line-judges :rolleyes: :D

9. morphy

morphy Regular Member

He really flung that racket far! I thought initially it landed near the Kor coaches but it went farther back as the vid shows the one coach who went off camera to the right to pick it up and hand it back to LD.

I think he did shake LHI at the end after the match, not sure he did the same for the ump tho.:rolleyes:

10. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Did he throw his racket? I didnt see the "flying racket" but somehow the coach picked up his racket from the floor. so, did he throw his racket? can anyone confirm? :eek:

11. morphy

morphy Regular Member

Well that vid obviously was started after the racket was thrown so we didn't get to see LD actually throwing the racket but a BCer here who was there did see the racket fly and took out his cam to record it.

12. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    From INA coach, they told me that LD did throw the racket......

13. w3wmfhe

w3wmfhe Regular Member

#33 w3wmfhe, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  14. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
  15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i suggest one has to understand the whole situation. I know some of u might disagree which is fine, it is just my interpretation:

this youtube video is missing some early part of incident. The video cuts in when:

1: LD and LM was having their heated conversation
    2. as a former comrade/coworker, chinese coach try to break off the LD/LM shouting match by lightly separating LM away from LD
    3. LM replied by shoving hard at the chinese coach
    4. officials rush in to prevent further escalation of the 2 coaches
    5. LM return to his seat, LD went away and got back his racket from a retreiver.
    6. LM rose up from his seat again, walking toward and shouting and pointing at the chinese coach. Coach Ha even try to block LM.
    7. LD saw/heard this and want to encounter LM again, gesturing in striking posture but i see this just a coy, a message to LM that 'don't you dare hit my coach again'. I don't believe LD want to start a real fight since there are 3 guys separately LD and LM, including physical strong coach Ha. LD retreated immediately to the extreme corner side of his court.

If this were hockey or basketball, LM would be mobbed by players of opposing side, then all hell break lose.

#35 cooler, Jan 28, 2008
  16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Perhaps...^^

(you might be correct)..
    ..i rewatched the video posted by Alphonse, again, and from what i noticed this time, prior to LinDan trying to attack LiMao, LiMao and Zhong Bo were still jawing and staring at each other. Just as LinDan was walking back to the court, after he got his racket back, LiMao got up from his seat again & pointed his fingers in the direction of the CHN coach area..And that's where LinDan's now infamous combative-trying-to-attack-LiMao pose occurred...
    Simply an embarrassing act!! Amazing!!..:eek: :eek::(:p

#36 ctjcad, Jan 28, 2008
  17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i believe, once the 08 OG is over, LM days with the korea team is numbered.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yeah, missing a bit..

..of the initial sequence..It doesn't show the complete chain of events, esp. from the moment LD reacted to the linejudge's/umpire's call which essentially has propagated this now infamous incident..:p

#38 ctjcad, Jan 28, 2008
  19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

As some of you know by now, Alponse posted that in the KO Finals thread with his description of what he saw bf he managed to get his digicam out to record.

He, he, cooler, if any hell breaking lose happens, definetely your services as a cooler would be very much needed to cool down the situation.

20. jerby

jerby Regular Member

just from watching the incident, I can't help but think LD's reaction started normally..Apealing to the ump, challenging a call....It's not the first time any player has done this ;)
    Then, form how I see it, out of the blue, a coach pops in and starts meddling with it (first time for me). No matter what words he exactly used, or what he said, but just look at that face when he speaks...terrifying..
    Then, somewhat understandable, but still a bit erratic, LD responds and things take a turn for the worst...

I really can't see where LD is the main perpetrator