The video about LinDan and LiMao

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by ThinkRiver, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ThinkRiver

ThinkRiver Regular Member

2. volcom

volcom Regular Member

After watching this video, it shows how ridiculous Li Mao was in the situation.
    He clearly pushed Chinese coach first... Li Mao guy has problems

3. ThinkRiver

Definitely. LiMao's pushed action is very clearly and obviously defiant.

But, because of the camera's move, I want to know what main umper was looking at. He move his face from left to right and seems surprise...

4. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    A big homework for Referee to make a full report....I am sure that BWF will call them up and settle this issue.....

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I watched the video and saw the chinese coach putting his hand on Li Mao and telling him off first and of course Li Mao then retaliates by pushing the chinese coach probably to say get off my case.

All said and done, it all seemed fair to me. Useless taking this anywhere. LD would not get anything more than that yellow card. Neither the coaches will incur anything.

6. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin.shtml

Yes, the Chinese coaching staff Chong Bo was the one who put his arm on Li Mao first before Li Mao push the arm away. According to Sina Sports, Lin Dan in fact threw the racket towards Li Mao. According to Li Mao, when Lin Dan tried to argue again about the "OUT" ball, Li Mao stood up from his seat try to pressure the umpire not to change the call then Lin Dan got mad and threw the racket at him and Li Mao shouted :"Are you throwing the racket at me?" and Chong Bo came in try to stop it from escalating ...
    Sina Sports also claimed the ball was indeed out by playing the video footage in slow motion, the line judge did make a mistake. However, Sina Sports disapprove Lin Dan action/behavior.
    There are lots of articles about this incident and if you can read Chinese, here's the link http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin.shtml

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

What you wrote is probably what happened. From my perspective, the call is wrong -- I thought I saw as went 'out' too but the Umpire had already changed 4 previous line calls and if he had done another one, the whole world might have come down on him. I think he thought better and left it as the correct call by the line judge (but of course, he could have not seen it and therefore could not change it).

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Adding another 5 sen rupiahs-After watching..

..esp. the last 9 min. or so of the 3rd set, here's my personal opinion (btw, yes, the last sequence of pts, in that 3rd set, were very exciting & nerve-wrecking) :

Both parties, esp. LiMao and LinDan, acted very unprofessionally..And, IMO, both are responsible for the incident...Okay, maybe the dubious line call was the "initial" reason :

1. I don't know why in the world LiMao needed to get up from his seat and walk towards LinDan/the umpire, all the while, probably yelling & screaming who knows what. IMO, he had no reasonable reason(s), at all, to do so; unless if he purposely did it to distract LD, then he might've lucked out. If he had just sat or stayed in his corner, the incident most likely wouldn't happen. As for the CHN coach who came to hold back LiMao, but was somewhat pushed aside by LiMao, i can understand that he was probably trying to separate/calm down LiMao..
    2. In LinDan's case, after LiMao walked towards and provoked him, he should've stayed calm & poise. But with him being affected by LiMao's provocation, it showed that his mind wasn't focused and he let the emotional side of him took over. And what made it worse was his body language which showed him in a combative mode, with his racket up, as in wanting to have a rumble with LiMao..In the end, this lapse of concentration, probably cost LinDan the title, eventhough he was able to regain the lead after that incident..

It's quite an unfortunate, embarrassing and really unprofessional act from both because both LiMao and LinDan seemed to take it personally..:eek::(

Indeed, i can see BWF's need to review this incident. And if both were to be given a penalty, IMO, that would be most fair.:cool:

In the end, though, hopefully, i'd like to see both parties mend any misunderstandings or disagreements and move forward.:cool:

#8 ctjcad, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  9. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
  10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..if i'm not mistaken, the umpire was Caucasian..did LiMao speak to him in English??..or can the umpire understand/speak Mandarin (what LiMao was saying)??..:confused:

11. ThinkRiver

Totally agree, good opinion.

12. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Its 'pressure' not 'persuade'....he dont have to say anythings...just show his angry face enough !:D:D:D

13. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    From my understanding, Li Mao did that after the racquet was thrown at him.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..from the tv video shared in this forum..

..that's the part i'm a bit lost also and what got me a bit more confused is the post reported by Sina Sport.com (post #6):p..But after seeing the footage shown by Alphonse, in this thread i would tend to agree that it happened after LD threw his racket in the direction of LiMao & his assistant..I couldn't get the sequence as i didn't remember seeing the footage of LD hurling his racket to LiMao..All i remembered was LiMao walking up, screaming and yelling and then CHN's coach came towards LiMao...

#14 ctjcad, Jan 28, 2008
  15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

That part wasnt on tv but Badzine reporter, Alphonse witness it happen.
    The cameramen would have been surprised too(as was Alphonse), took a few sec to change camera angle or run to where the drama was (it wasnt on tripod but held manually)

#15 eaglehelang, Jan 28, 2008
  16. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    INA team just arrived in KL before continuing to jakarta....
    I did ask the incident and both INA coaches told me thru SMS that indeed that LD threw the racket toward Korean coaches but did not hit them.........they said that it was huge news that everybody talked about it even until this morning....

According to them, the match was too intense.....

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

So..

..i guess the sequence, based on Alphonse's video, goes like this (please correct if i'm off):p:

1. LD got upset and complained to the umpire over bad call.
    2. LD threw racket in direction of KOR coaches (incl. LiMao)
    3. LiMao & asst. walked towards umpire.
    4. CHN coaches walked towards KOR coaches (incl. LiMao)
    5. They hold, tug and broke away. LD shown talking to LHI.
    6. LD walked to pick up his racket.
    7. As he was walking back to court, LiMao jumped up and walked towards umpire/CHN coaches.
    8. LD changed direction and walked towards LiMao.
    9. Bruhaha ensued and all parties had to be separated.
    10. LD walked back to court...play ensued..

Now, what i don't quite get is the part between #1 & #2. Which is what caused LD to throw his racket in the direction LiMao/KOR coaches (not necessarily targeted @ LiMao & his assistance?? Was LD provoked by LiMao?? Or he threw it simply out of sheer frustration??:confused:

18. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    1b from another thread

1. LD got upset and complained to the umpire over bad call.
    1b. Li Mao pressured the umpire not to over-rule.
    2. LD threw racket in direction of KOR coaches (incl. LiMao)
    3. LiMao & asst. walked towards umpire.
    4. CHN coaches walked towards KOR coaches (incl. LiMao)
    5. They hold, tug and broke away. LD shown talking to LHI.
    6. LD walked to pick up his racket.
    7. As he was walking back to court, LiMao jumped up and walked towards umpire/CHN coaches.
    8. LD changed direction and walked towards LiMao.
    9. Bruhaha ensued and all parties had to be separated.
    10. LD walked back to court...play ensued..

19. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    no hugs and kisses eh??:D:D:D:D:D:D

20. morphy

morphy Regular Member

If I may ignore the racquet throwing part for a bit as that's already been discussed all over - the biggest problem I have when I read that is:
    1b. Li Mao pressured the umpire not to over-rule.

What business has LM to tell the umpire how to do his job? I can see if the coaches complained or dispute a ruling or a call but IN NO WAY should any coach be telling an umpire how to rule. Now the question becomes was the umpire swayed by LM in any way? We'll never know and doubt the umpire will say so even if he did.