The use and abuse of BadmintonCentral

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chris-ccc, Dec 27, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Not to be rude to others when debating

Thanks majyun, Good points were raised in your post.

A thread like this is to remind BCers not to be rude to others when debating. It is to remind us BCers to be more civilised.

Exchanging our opinions in a debate is actually very healthy. BCers find it good to listen to the opinions of others. But when we start to fight and quarrel, our BCers will leave.

Perhaps, this can be visualised - say, a group of us BCers gathered in a room.

We start to discuss a topic. Some in the room start getting annoyed when they find others are not agreeing with their opinions. They start to raise their voice hoping others will pay more attention to their ideas/opinions. Then, others who are opposing their ideas also start to raise their voice to reply. It becomes very heated. It ends up like a shouting match. Many BCers start leaving the room. They could not stand noise level; the yelling and the screaming. Things have become disorganised.

In the end, only a very few handful of BCers are left in the room - this time using their fists punching each other to prove who are the stronger ones, not just their mental but physical.

What's happened in that room could happen to our BC forum.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Follow the rules and regulations

Well, drifit said it earlier (Post #24); It's FOC (Freedom of Choice):
    Follow the rules and regulations. If not, they are free to go.

3. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Simple solution : Ban some people.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Another solution..

..(and to show civility) is for members to learn & use the freakin' PM function!!:cool: Yes, take the PM route & please don't be afraid to use that Private Messaging function if anyone wants to settle something (personal) with another member (or discuss something off topic).:cool:

5. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    I don't think abusing members by PM is any better than doing it out in the open, personally. That would make it even less regulated, were that possible.

6. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    another way is to get a bcer member who is also a lawyer and post a new thread - lawyer for hire! just maybe this will slow down things a bit..

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Even via PM, BCers can drive each other insane

Even via PM, BCers can still drive each other insane. :eek::eek::eek:

Here is an example:
    "i agreed with u , i need to be humble... i will learn from better players.. thank you for your advice ... but this guy keeps bullying me in the forum and pm me also.. , he is stressing me , he is saying things which is not true... He says he wants to smash me up... I cant be friend with a violent person .. he is driving me mentally stressed!"

So, Destricto_Ense could be right, commenting that:

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    arent the famous jimbo incident was happen in pm?:(

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

*sigh*..

I'm not suggesting abusing/attacking other members won't happen through PM; yes, it could happen. But the point is, rather than muck up the entire thread w/personal attacks or off topic chit-chats, and then having the mods delete the posts and/or lock up the thread, members could do their own "attacks" through PM rather than have them spill over into the thread.
    That's the whole purpose of using the PM (and yes, i've used it before for the same purpose). In other words, "take it to the side". Don't make whatever the personal attacks are spill into the public, unless one wants to get banned or get the posts deleted; or even worse, have the BC community read and even laugh at the posts.
    Which one would you guys prefer, keeping a thread open & civil or get it locked??
    Get it??..:confused:

So, the main reason why people tend to use the thread/keep making posts, during debates/arguments, rather than through PM is:
    So that other members would get their point across & other members would read their posts, even if the posts are off topic/personal. In a way, there's a bit of ADHD involved.:p
    ..if i recall (from another member, since i wasn't around when it happened), it was started through PM **but** it wasn't kept privy (one party decided to share the "offensive" PMs w/a few other members; hence a few others found out; not sure if the issue was spilled into the public or not; if the 2 of them kept it confidential between themselves and the admin., no one would know; but then that's even easier said than done).:p:cool:

#49 ctjcad, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Probably, it's a troll

Probably ADHD is not involved. Probably it's a troll.

RationalWiki has described this behaviour: click HERE

A troll in Internetspeak refers to an entity which involves itself in discussions purely for the purpose of disturbing other users and making itself feel important.

Characteristics
    A troll usually has little or no interest in contributing to the development of the site in question and is interested in :
    • Deliberately angering people.
    • Breaking the normal flow of debate/discussion.
    • Deliberately being annoying for the sake of being obnoxious. For instance, using abusive names to refer to all the members on the site.
    • Making itself the main topic of interest or discussion.
    Motives
    It is probable that, for the troll, the last point is the most important. To this end it will post deliberately inflammatory messages which generate inflammatory responses; complain about being the victim of the inflammatory responses; endeavor to obtain allies against the discrimination it feels; turn on those same allies, etc. etc. The whole objective of the exercise being to make the troll feel that it is the most important thing on the site.

If a poster begins to post comments along the lines of, “Can’t you see how stupid you all are?” or “I keep laughing at all of you,” there is high probability that the poster is a troll.

Treatment
    Because the troll feeds on having its name mentioned or by generating debate or ill feeling, many internet users either ignore the troll completely or respond with the phrase, “Don’t Feed the Troll.

(Alternatively, on Rationalwik, users can enter {{DFTT}} bringing up this image: [​IMG] - which means the same thing.)

Some users engage in "Troll Baiting". In this unkind sport the objective is to turn the tables on the troll so that it becomes enraged. While mildly amusing in the short term it is rarely successful in driving the troll away.

Most importantly, trolls take away from productive work. The only ethical way to avoid this is to stop feeding the troll and go about your usual work.

Caveat
    It is, of course an improper argumentum ad hominem (personal attack), when you accuse a user of being a troll just because you don't like what they are saying or the way they are saying it. Don't accuse someone of being a troll just to dismiss their argument. Just because you disagree doesn't necessarily mean the user is trying to be disruptive, so it is necessary to measure the suspected troll against the description given above.

11. MetalOrange

MetalOrange Regular Member

chris-ccc,

i think it also meant trolls (subliminal) from the LOR trilogy!

MetalOrange

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    any comment on post number 45?
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51417&page=3
    we cant use i,you when posting?:eek::confused:
    we cannot ask question to any member in this forum?:eek::confused:
    is asking question = disagree?:eek::confused:

hope all member that involve in the discusion in this thread help me
    i wont ask any question again or using i/you if this is proven negatif

#52 limsy, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Hope all member that involve in the discussion in this thread help me

It is meant for us to use the words 'I' and 'YOU' less, but not never at all. :):):)
    It is for us to check how many times we use the words "I" and "YOU" when we debate.

IMHO, when we are using too many of the words 'I' and 'YOU', we can become talking more about ourselves (self-centered), and the topic of thread is forgotten.

Reading from Post #99 of this thread (click HERE) will tell us what other BCers think.
    BTW, even Oldhand and jamesd20 were involved in that discussion. :p:p:p

#53 chris-ccc, Jan 1, 2010
  14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Well..

:p..he's your buddy lah, limsy..;)
    ..there are trolls and there are people who act/behave like a troll..;)

Btw, chris-ccc, do you mind saving your PMs and clearing your PM inbox (it's full)?thx.:cool:

15. MetalOrange

trolls...let me see, ah, like the appalachian indian chief replying to a boy asking how to deal with the two wolves (nowadays, dog is use instead of wolf--lost in translation i think--deliberately) in his heart? the angry and the kind wolf?

then the chief replied: which wolf are you feeding more? surely, feed the kind wolf in your heart! the chief added.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Cannot clear PM Box fast enough

Yes, PM Box is usually FULL. Cannot clear it fast enough. :eek::eek::eek:
    Could you email me at chris@cccbadminton.com?

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Surely, feed the kind wolf in your heart! the chief added

Why would the chief have replied so ?

#57 chris-ccc, Jan 1, 2010
  18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Ot...

save the PMs and clear the inbox/sent box.:p
    anyway, i'll send through email.

19. MetalOrange

i am absolutely sure ctjcad can tell you the essence of the story since he is going to pm you.

20. MetalOrange

to save ctjcad some pm space. i thought i'll just tote this in.

if one feeds the angry, it gets angrier...so, it goes the same with trolls (don't feed the trolls, you say?), doesn't it?

MetalOrange

#60 MetalOrange, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010