The Talking Point: Air Conditioning!

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by gelee, Aug 11, 2013.

1. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    I rarely take the liberty to read all the post unless it is a very interesting thread and indeed a lot of interesting discussion has been highlighted here.

How defensive for any of my beloved Datuk LCW fans want to pin point that the air condition issue and any of the consequences that happens in related about it as the major contribution for his walkover, most people will definitely still see this is just an excuse for DLCW not to play.

If it is just an excuse, then the cramp he had is most likely a fake. Only he himself, Medical staff and god knows the true of this. If it is indeed a true muscle cramp as what we noticed then still wanted to try his best despite having an injury and still able to continue to pick up a point against arguably the most lethal left handed badminton player on earth now and only stop as the pain is unbearable is one HELL of a fighting spirit regardless of whether people wants to critic him for him to not continue playing is an excuse or whatsoever.

As painful it is for DLCW fans to accept the manner of his defeat, it is maybe five fold more painful for DLCW himself since he has enough intelligent and insight within himself to realize that the moment that he decided to stop playing at the most critical part of the game, only bad judgement and critics that will come later that he will need to absorb and face regardless even if it is indeed a true muscle cramp. His decision to take a rest and focus on his family for a moment is a wise decision.

Most of us here in BC knows DLCW way of badminton life very very well. The post and views in LCW thread here in BC already speaks by itself as well. As far as being a fan of DLCW, he is a true fighter and never give up easily...alone making excuses especially when battling against super Dan. This is very true and we all knows that when it comes about his fight with LD, honor, reputation, pride and recognition are being stake here much more higher than the value of the medal and prize money awarded to the eventual winner and this is why the match between them is always the highlight and talk of any major tournament.

Regardless of whatever issues that happens behind his walkover and eventually his defeat, the end is more important that is he lost again to a much better player than him that is LD. Whether LD is more adaptable to a non-air cond environment or not, the fact that why LD wins again is simply because he played better than DLCW and unfortunately for DLCW, he suffered an injury while at the most critical part of the game and this scenario makes even LD a winner in the making.

IMHO, even if both player able to adapt in any inconvenience environment, it is LD that still will be on top most of the time especially in the major events. Being born in the same era with LD is not an unfortunate human event for DLCW but it is just DLCW is destiny to be second best behind LD as far as analyzing both of their achievement in any major events is concern. I think despite all of DLCW stories of his major defeat and ended mostly as second best behind LD, he still should be very proud that it is through the best from him that LD really knows his true potential as a player and this goes similarly the same with LD. Both of them has lifted the standard of badminton so high that both of them is in a league of their own and the other remaining player in this world just seems to be peanut to them if both of them is playing at their best. This is the gift that they give to us as a badminton fan and this is the lost that we must face once both of them retired in this few years to come. Let us enjoy while they are still playing.

SS

2. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

This thread is comical at times:

1) A Malaysian complains about temperatures that are too hot to play in. This is the equivalent of a Swiss or Canadian player that complains about temperatures that are too cold to play in.

You would think the hot temperature is an advantage for a Malaysian. But in this thread, the hot temperature is a disadvantage for a Malaysian!

2) LCW doesn't know how to hydrate himself!

The best part is, all these lame excuses always come out against LD when LCW loses. You never hear these excuses from LCW fans when LCW wins. When LCW wins, it's "LCW is in excellent form! Datuk LCW is the best player in the world!" When LCW loses, it's [insert ## excuse in here]

Go back and read the 2010 LCW vs LD Thomas Cup thread. Despite LCW playing on his home court in front of his home crowd, LCW fans can still find an excuse while LCW lost to LD :)

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    LCW lost and LD fans are having a field day.
    This is not unexpected.

4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    The most funniest part here is people keep saying that LCW need to know how to hydrate himself!! Lol.. I ask them "why in the first place they switched off WITHOUT DISCUSSING with everybody?" Why Lindan was allowed to change his shirt(or whatever) when some other player in this championships was issued yellow card for doing so??:rolleyes: . Poor quality for the organisers who does this kind of cheating things to win a championship title. Really good sportsmanship from LCW though he suffered in this, he simply taking things just like that without complaining anything :).

5. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Because this is getting ridiculous. This repeats every time LD beat LCW. You know when LD lost to LCW at the AE? LD lost because he lost. End of story.

You know when LD lost against LCW after LD had 8 match points at the 2006 Malaysia Open? LD lost because he lost. End of story.

What disturbs me is comments like these from LCW:

http://www.thestar.com.my/story.aspx?file=%2f2013%2f5%2f10%2fsports%2f13093144

You know how I would have responded if I were in LCW's shoes and LD got a wild card? I would have said, "Great. It's good to see LD given a wild card in the WC. I can't wait to avenge my loss to LD from the 2012 Olympics."

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Let us know when you get there :rolleyes: . Maybe he had been waiting for the chance at every tournament since the Olympics only to see a withdrawal time and time again and when it was certain it wouldn't be coming anymore he get's slammed in the face with a wildcard for his nemesis who has taken the whole year off to rest and recover from any injury, work on physical side, do a few commercials, without having to fly from here to there like LCW *the sucker*

I actually would love for the AC story to be true, fits right in line with plenty of other incidents in other sports with homecourt advantage. All part of the game ;).
    You could almost say it was no coincidence LD was already replenishing from early on in the first set whilst LCW just saw it as delaying the game and took no part in it :p (*hindsight*)

#186 demolidor, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Unfortunately you are not LCW.

8. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

So why didn't your Datuk LCW say that? Instead, your Datuk admitted defeat before the battle even began :rolleyes:

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Though I am Malaysian but I didn't say I am LCW's fan and I am not him and I don't know him.

10. ahchu5

ahchu5 Regular Member

engineer
    Hey guys...out of topic d...by the way lcw him self didnt comment much on the AC issue. The organiser really turn off the AC without MAS team acknowledgement. .that is fact..dun talk bout olympic or AE game anymore all this oledi become history..when free time u can talk yr grand parent:)

11. randomuser

randomuser Regular Member

regardless of why lcw lost, turning off the ac was seriously a **** move by the organizers. it made everyone uncomfortable and the lack of drift didn't really improve the games. saying that the ac was turned off because of players complaining about drift is a bs excuse. why didn't they turn off the ac earlier then, instead of during (or right before, who knows) the last match of the tournament? and i dont think any player actually requested the ac to be turned off. probably a player would have said something like "in game 1 the drift made it hard to control shots to the baseline but in game 2 it was easier"... and comments like these become "complaints" and the excuse for turning off the ac.

who knows.. maybe they already planned to turn off the ac in the msf match and got ld to do extra training in hot conditions. maybe the cramps ld got in training was so he could know his body's limits better and not cramp like lcw did. whatever... if there is anything unfair about the msf match, there's no point arguing about it. it's just the home advantage

12. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Yes, to provide environment as convenience as it can for players and also the audience is the responsibility of an organizer. And i'm here not to defend the AC off-situation, it is indeed a careless decision to do. Be it happen for any breakdown or truly on purpose, hope there could be reasonable explanation for this.

What became my focus here is the players and coaches. Yes, force them to adapt to condition that make them uncomfort to play is really cruel. But players can protest against things like that! You can see Lin Dan usually would protest to umpire just because simple silly thing like cameras flashlight! Why can't LCW and his coaches protest against temperature if they really can not afford it no more? Talking about this issue after the match will lead to nothing than conspiracy and sabotage theories that only bring more damage to the game reputation.

The AC in the venue being off during a still proceeding event is indeed unprofessional. But if the objecting sides take proper action at that moment, this issue might has finished less than a wild conspiracy theory. But just my personal opinion.

#192 bad's fan, Aug 13, 2013
  13. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I find you are absolutely creative in interpreting LCW's thoughts so your help in answering a simple question would be great.
    The simple question is this:
    Why was the aircon turned off after LCW won G1? ( Timing deduced from GC's comments. Just assume that s when the aircon was turned off anyway.)

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Everybody,

it seems that we have gotten to the juncture in this thread where participants have to either:

- continue to disagree and argue in circles
    - agree to disagree and move on

if we see the direction going the former, then this thread will be closed.
    if we see the direction going the latter, than this thread will stay open.

right now it seems like we are at the first phase of some major mudslinging so please try to tone it down.

15. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If these sour grapes and sore losers continue to belabour the point that LCW lost because the A/C was switched off, they are doing LCW a disservice even as it's turning into a lame joke, an embarrassment , an insult and humiliation.

Now they add another grouse, why is Lin Dan allowed to change his shirt ? and to a red one at that (for red is Lin Dan's fave colour, bring him luck, red is a fiery colour that boosts his energy, and whatnot - just kidding).

LCW lost so LD's fans are having a field day? Who started this thread and what have LD's fans been doing mostly other than to defend the charges and insinuations which go to the extent of 'cheating' accusation that can lead to a civil suit if not criminal case, on top of demonising LYB as the bogeyman as usual.

As reported, LCW has come out to say he blames no-one but himself for the defeat and now just want to take a rest,spend time with his family, resume competition later and aim for Rio'16 Olympics.

Had LCW won , how might the spat go? I hazard a guess:-

1) The A/C was switched off during the match? So what? Good for LCW who is from a tropical, hot and humid country;besides,he's fitter than Lin Dan, apparently;

2) LD's wild card - what a blessing for LCW, now victory tastes so sweet. We should be grateful to BWF, kudos to them;

3) LD took a 6-month break without any proper training and lay off competition for 8 months,hence not match-fit and rusty - Well, that's his business, it's his entitlement, he's happy and enjoyed himself,right? Nothing to do with LCW, LD has only himself to blame. Btw, because LD won, it turned out to be an advantage for him as he's well-rested even though he was practically travelling every few days taking part in various other activities,including flying to Rio as the Laureus ambassador;

4) Lin Dan changed to a red shirt before G3 - Who cares? Maybe he shouldn't have as it could have brought him bad luck; anyway, he can change into anything or go topless if that's allowed, he'll still lose because LCW is the better player now;

5) Du Pengyu had to play 4 long,grueling,energy-sapping matches with strong opponents every round before playing LCW in the Semi-final, that's why he couldn't beat LCW who had two short,easy previous rounds with WZM and Tommy - What talking you? Even if DuPY comes fresh from the oven, he will still be convincingly beaten by our LCW, just look at their H2H;

6) If Chen Long is LCW's opponent in the final, the outcome would probably be different - Trash talk again. Why couldn't Chen Long get the better of Lin Dan in the QF? Who said it's pre-arranged or match-fixed? Based on our objective,disinterested analysis of all the factors, Chen Long was simply bested by the new-style Lin Dan that he couldn't handle whereas LCW could as proven in the final. The fact that LCW have overcome Lin Dan this time is proof that he's better than Chen Long now.

Wonder how long certain LCW hardcore fans require to get over it this time as compared with the London Olympics near-miss but equally huge disappointment. Take care.:D

While you are still keeping your eyes on Lin Dan, I'd advise that you pay more attention to Chen Long whom I believe is the biggest challenge to both LD and LCW from now on. Chen Long I feel is at the height of his power and has the capability to break through LD's rallying,defensive and deceptive style the next time they meet. In fact, LD (purposely?) hasn't been training with CL since the LOG except to play one WC simulation match which CL lost because he's not familiar with LD's new style of play yet, same for their 2nd meeting.

It appears to me that certain LCW fans strongly feel that LCW didn't lose to Lin Dan but was defeated by 'the airconditioning'. Shall we then forfeit Lin Dan's crown and award the world champion 2013 title to 'Mr Airconditioner',specifically the airconditioning system at Tianhe Indoor Stadium,Guangzhou?:p

Pardon my rigmarole, largely written in jest except for certain parts,obviously. No ill-will or offence intended whatsoever.:)

17. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

I remember that in BC, ppl concluded that one of the reasons that the Chinese (esp LD) did not have good achievement in SS held in South East Asia particularly IO, was that they are not so adaptable to the hot and humid weather. Now this becomes LD's advantage?

I mean switching off the A/C is in fact affecting both players, esp the one with less fitness.

Being away from competition and training for 8 and 6 months respectively, LD should have been considered not as fit.

Besides, the stadium is LD's home court, he also won the last AG against LCW in the same venue, with A/C on.

So turning off the A/C may affect LD more fr the above reasons if you talk about the actual effect on players (let alone the admin procedure whether players or coaches had been consulted).

So why whine over this for the loss as TSB did?

18. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

About the shirt issue, in fact LD had offended in G1.

In G1, LD also wear a white colour one, the umpire ask LD to change as it is too similar to LCW's due to the rule's intention to have 2 players in contrasting colour for the sake of easy recognition on TV.

But LD refused the umpire's request! So TSB should complain why the umpire did not disqualify LD in this first place??!!

19. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Kwun, the reason of arguing in circles is that there are ppls never be reasonable, objective, and listening but just think and work on conspiracies' mind-set. It will just be hopeless discussion if this thread is kept open. It's your call.

20. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Relax...

As far as i know, players are allowed to change their wet shirts, as long they do it in intervals, not in a proceeding game. Lin Dan did change in intervals, while Zhang Nan whom got red card trying to change in a still playing game.

Afterall, this change shirt thing is umpire's business, nothing to do with the organizer. Eventhough you are upset with the chinese in a way or another, but no need to release your blatant attack anytime anywhere please? Cheers :)

#200 bad's fan, Aug 13, 2013