The Supplement Thread

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Schultzier, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Dear all,

I have been experimenting with vitamins and supplements recently and would like to ask what your experience has been with supplements? Have you found any supplement that has helped you with your game which you swear by? Have you perhaps tried something which has done the opposite of helping and perhaps made your game worse?

One of my favourite supplements that is great for badminton is magnesium. To me, magnesium has been the only supplement which has consistently allowed me to take the edge off the pressure. I have a tendency to become anxious when I play and magnesium helps me with this.

I would love to hear some of your insights.

2. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Take whatever supplements you don't get from your diet.

This will vary for each person and each diet :)

dnewguy, Cheung and s_mair like this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

the only thing I get from taking magnesium is diarrhea. which in the end adds extra pressure instead of reducing it. :confused:

Cheung, dnewguy and BadmintonDave like this.
  4. tyler_durden

tyler_durden Regular Member

air humidifier
    I am taking trimagnesium dicitrate also called trimagnesium bicitrate to prevent cramps in the calf (at night). It's reabsorbed faster than magnesium oxide and bit less laxative than in oxide form. Another advantage for me is that it's availabe in pure form as powder and not mixed e.g. with artificial sweetener which I decline and even increase the laxative effect. Anyway you should be careful not to overdose to avoid diarrhea.
    Caffeine added to energy drinks or coffee helps to be a bit more awake but even slightly to much makes me shaky and the effect changes for the worse.

5. Schultzier

Schultzier Regular Member

Thanks for the reply, I have never heard of trimagnesium! I don't drink coffee and avoid caffeine like the pest, it gives me way too much social anxiety. Does coffee actually work for you and have you tried playing without it?

It is a little funny but I have been thinking that the majority of supplements might perhaps do more harm than good. I do not know if you would agree with me here.

For example, a B-vitamin multi-complex which has been recommended in a different thread inhibited my flow and fluidity of movement. Sure, it worked great for my health and general energy but I found that it supplemented me in a way which could not benefit my overall game. On the other hand, adding a spoon of pure L-ascorbic acid to my water bottle has shown great potential to make my time at badminton training absolutely awesome.

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Mate, you are overestimating the influence of these things by a lot. But if you feel good with any of those, then good for you and stick to it.

In general, take care of a balanced and healthy diet (low sugar, low amount of overly processed food), get enough good night sleep (this is perhaps the most important thing of all!), work on your technique and develop the right mindset before you step on court (aka have fun!). No (legal) supplement will make you win a single match that you would have lost otherwise. Each of these mentioned things actually might make a difference.

7. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Thing about coffe you need to be carefull.
    At 1st im not regularly drink coffee but just sometimes when im somewhat sleepy at works i ask the pantry to makes me one. Idk when it started but eventually it become my habbit, there always a coffee at my desk even if i didnt ask for it.
    Few times i miss my coffee & i cant focus on my works. Even on Sunday, my play day im hardly able to maintain my focus on court without it. I realize im to addicted to caffein & tried to change my habbit. At 1st few weeks are just crazy but after that its getting better & better.

I guest everything is good if consumed at correct ratio but become bad if its to much.

So, just listen to your own body. They give signal if they need something. Need more rest, need more sugar, need more water, etc. Dont get to much addicted to supplement or anything to much. When you are overworked , maybe some suplement would help you keep up your body health but dont be to much depend on it all the time.

ucantseeme likes this.
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Magnesium can be used as a muscle relaxant. It may work for some people who tend to get easily over anxious and a bit of muscle tightness during a match. However, if you’re not one of those type of players, then perhaps the benefit will be less.

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

So which one is it, mate?

Not sure what you’ve got going on here, but I get a fishy feeling about your posts.

speCulatius and kwun like this.