The Search For The Ultimate Grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by cooler, Feb 5, 2001.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Towel grips have a rather short playability life. The sweat tends to make the towel stiff when dry and it gets stiffer from more sweat. You can use a knife edge to soften the towel grip but you will not get back the feel and touch of new towel without a replacement.

2. Greenman

Greenman Regular Member

so a towel grip, is simply that?
    a grip that is like a towel?

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, with a tacky backside on retail version.
    u can also make one yourself

4. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

also jens eriksen, nathan robertson to name a couple more...

5. Dandirom

Dandirom Regular Member

Computer Related
    I use Yonex Titanium grips. Shock cushioning is very good, as is sweat absorption - very important for me as i have very sweaty hands and live in the tropics.:) Its a rather heavy grip (20 grams, i think) and very thick, but i find that the thickness helps. I'm more relaxed while holding my racquet as compared with thinner grips - I can hold it very loosely and it has done wonders for my smash.:)

6. s0lar

s0lar Regular Member

I use supergrap from yonex. I buy those giant packings with 30 grips at a very low price. I use them 2-3 weeks before I replace it with a new one.

7. christoffer

christoffer Regular Member

Trainer
    I always use towel-grips, and buy it in large rolls at the time. At the moment the color is pink =)

I find the towel-grip best reasoned by the sweat-absorption, and it's fairly easy to improve the absorption with some grip-powder.

8. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

student/ working in sport shop/ stringing
    i also use towel grip and buy it in large rolls. i am not using pink although:crying: (couldn't find that colour). i find towel grip is far more effective because it molds to your hand alot more than a PU grip.

9. rikardo

rikardo Regular Member

Anyone recommend the cheap place to get a roll of 30 supergrap?

10. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

I'm now using an Ashaway overgrip, I bought a box of about 50 for ~£30, I don't know what I like about this grip but it feels perfect to me:D . its cheap as well although really its false economy because it isn't a durable grip:crying:

11. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

has your plastic on the handle come off your airblade's yet?

12. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

The original plastic? No, its seems to be a durable plastic and the overgrips arent sticky so its stil intact:D :p

13. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

durable plastic is better than cling film, i saw the first person i no using cling film yesterday at my club and it doesn't look that great:p

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

transferred from e-1000 thread

#354 cooler, Feb 2, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

In Topic

i think common sense and real world test says bigger/heavier grip area does change the feel dynamically as compared to a similar but unaltered factory racket. For example, if you wrap the grip with a 1 lb (lead ?) strip of overgrip, i can assure u the racket swings differently. The cneter of mass and moment of inertia will be all changed from that of a unaltered factory racket. The racket will feel like very head light. At static, the fulcrum is located at the balance point, not at the grip. Dynamically, the grip mid-point is axis of rotation. Fulcrum isnt a good representation of axis of rotation because most dynamic system aren't symmetrical.

#355 cooler, Feb 2, 2006
  16. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

are you confusing two different things?

2nd moment is sum of mass x (distance from axis)^2
    if the axis of rotation stays in the same place (i.e. you hold it in the same place) then adding weight anywhere can only increase this value.

holding near the cone reduces it, and holding near the butt increases it, because you are moving the axis.

see also Overall Weight vs Balance

#356 Neil Nicholls, Feb 2, 2006
  17. Neil Nicholls

but I agree that a different size grip can make it feel different

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

problem in discussing or debating complex issue is it's easier to disproof a well supported argument by highlighting a few isolated exception not due to fact but due to failure to present a 100% leak proof presentation by the proponent. Eg. OJ Simpson got off incrimination from a undersized leather glove although overwhelminng evidences show OJ did killed his wife. Poor presentation in this case is not really a negative fact since we now know the police planted that glove in hope to seal the case but instead it actually backfired.

As in here, i'm still stuck at supporting silentheart original point even tho i have said before the tiny weight of a foam overgrip doesnt really change the racket dynamic but rather it is due to 'something' else.

yes, the mass of the overgrip will increase the moment of inertia (moi) but no one yet explain yet why the racket feel head lighter?

Neil, what u said isnt 100% correct either. Adding weight anywhere can only increase this value is not 100% true. You had assumed adding mass grip forward but what if i add mass on the other end, like the taping a 2 ounce lead weight on the yonex green butt cap? Total racket mass increased but moi is reduced. Eg, look at a crankshaft :p Your revving engine will blow up without those 'added' mass. :p Even taneepak use this concept to mod his rackets

what i should said earlier with a 1 lb overgrip is the relative moi is reduced. U are applying more energy to rotate the 1 lb overgrip such that it overwhelms your feeling of the frame weight, even if it was an AT700 head heavy frame. Your feeling of frame is masted by the force needed to twist the heavy handle.

#358 cooler, Feb 3, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2006
  19. Neil Nicholls

still 2 different things I think, but I hadn't thought about it like your crankshaft example before.

I still stick to "Adding weight anywhere can only increase this value"

If you add mass to the racquet, the force you have to apply to make it rotate is increased.

Once it is rotating though, the racquet applies a force back on you at the axis or rotation. Centripetal force.
    An easier to see example might be a ceiling fan. If it is not balanced, one of the blades will pull on the axis more than the other blades and it will make the whole thing wobble.

P.S. I thought taneepak was always removing weight from the handle to move the static balance point closer to the head, not adding it.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

if u add mass as close to the axis of rotation, wobble (moi) is
    reduced even tho the defective fan blade is still as defective as before.

The racket frame ( and even the whole racket) is analog to a wobble fan blade example because it is totally out of balance relative to your all those swing axises as u rotate and apply force to hit the shuttle. That's why u have to hold onto your racket or it will wobble out of your hand :p

#360 cooler, Feb 3, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2006