The result between Lin and Bao's match is unauthentic!

Discussion in 'Korean Open 2004 / Japan Open 2004' started by SmartCivet, Apr 10, 2004.

1. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    anyway i dont think it's true also.... like wat Cheung said... the match between Lin Dan n Bao Chunlai in HK Open last yr took reali long... n it was very exciting... though i din get to watch it live :(
    so i always believe.... they play n win with their skills n mayb some luck too

2. - 73* -

- 73* - Regular Member

actually, i don't want to believe it either, and i hate it when matches are fixed...
    i was merely guessing using that theory suggested by other people

lin might've just been tired after his long match with gade the previous day...

3. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    According to Raph's report on badzine, Lin Dan seemed to give up the second set after having lost the first one... (yet another "win one win all"!)

4. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

15-10 wasn't tat bad i supposed....
    if he reali give up, he wont even get 10 rite??? [​IMG]

5. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    You can find the complete article (in French) at this address.

Here's a quick translation of the part concerning this match (sorry I'm not very good at translating! ;) ) :

[...] The men's singles semi-final called into question the chinese will to leave Bao Chunlai win against the yet invincible Lin Dan, whose chances of winning at Tokyo his sixth straight title were obvious.
    A beautiful first set indeed, won by Bao, but in the second set, the world number one Lin Dan was almost walking on the court.
    He let his friend win and represent his colours in the final.
    Maybe calculations about olympic points are behind this stratagem, but the sports result is not a success for China, since Bao was easily beaten by Singaporean Ronald Susilo in two short sets 15-13 15-6 in the final.
    Bao failed where we could hardly imagine Lin losing.
    On the other hand, it's a historical feat for Singapore, which should be good for local badminton.
    [...]

6. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

i was reali shocked when i noe Lin Dan lost in the semi.... cant believe it.... *sigh* [​IMG]

7. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    i have a question: if this whole thing the chinese do after losing the first game to your teammate, will they also do this at the olympics? seeing as how a lot more is at stake here at such a prestigious event, will they willingly let their teammate win?

8. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

i still don believe tat losing the 1st game muz lost the match if they r playing against team mates..... [​IMG]

9. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    good question though. Of course those players will want to win gold for their country and for him/herself...but again, the coach will do anything to keep the gold in his own country. I guess plans will be made and to make sure that the players will not get exhausted to advance to the next round. This kinda "planning" is actually kinda useful for the country. Remember it worked well during most tourneys?

10. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

If even Li Yongbo admitted to it after WC, what is there to doubt?? [​IMG] (hope this is not copyrighted. great emoticon. :p )

Although this was true in the WC, it does not necessarily apply in all tournaments. In open tournaments, it doesn't matter so much which Chinese should play against a particular opponent and what not so I guess it's fairer. Unless it's periods like this when coaches do such things to manipulate rankings, and this is not exclusive to China I believe, though perhaps Li YB does it more blatantly.

As for Olympics, well, you can start arguing about Sydney's WS semifinal between Gong Zhichao and Ye Zhaoying all over again. [​IMG]

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Three tough-fought sets can make a big difference from one tough-fought set. Cheating spectators aside, it makes sense. Both players know the (unofficial) rules beforehand. Both players know it is to their own advantage if they win. They just have to imagine that it's a first-to-15 match.

12. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I haven't seen the match in question. But from the reports, it does sound as if it again was a case of the now well-known Chinese "first game wins" rule.

However, we must not forget that Bao and Lin know each other extremely well. They will be able to fully exploit eachothers weaknesses. In that sense, a match between them is not an "ordninary" match and the outcome in such matches can be very unpredictable.

Whatever the case is, we will never know until LYB writes his memoires... and perhaps not even then! That we are even discussing the possibility of foul play just shows what a mess China has created lately. It is bad for the sport, especially considering that badminton's Olympic status is not exactly rock solid.

13. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

I can't agree more. Match-fixing and throwing matches for whatever reason can be very detrimental to the image of the sport. Unfair judging too for that matter.

One can argue that other countries might do it too had they China's luxury in the choice of top players and specific target opponents (re: Ra Kyung Min, Camilla Martin, Wong Choong Hann). Nevertheless, isn't it the responsibility of the people involved in the sport to uphold its image, be it Korea's patriotic linesmen or China's shrewd Mr Li? Like he always says before team events, "We want to win this and to be a true champion we will have to beat everyone in our way, so China will never throw matches just to avoid certain teams in the semifinals." How true. Unfortunately, we only see this in team events.

14. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

if losing the 1st game muz lost the 2nd game when playing against team mates.... y izit at HK open 2003 semi-finals where Lin Dan vs Bao Chunlai, they had such score??? [​IMG]

Hong Kong Open 2003
    27 Oct 2003 - 2 Nov 2003 Queen Elizabeth Stadium, Hong Kong

Semi-Final 11/15,15/13,17/15 W Chunlai BAO CHN

Lin Dan lost the 1st game to Bao Chun Lai 11-15
    but he din lost the 2nd game to him... in fact he won 15-13
    they even played a tough 3rd game 17-15

in Japan open this yr... Lin Dan lost both 13-15, 10-15
    if he reali wanna lost 2nd set, no need to play until 10-15 so tiring

juz some of my thoughts [​IMG]

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Not all the time. It's only during the run-up to important events (like Olympics) and the rankings need to be tinkered a bit that teams do such things.

16. khelben

khelben Regular Member

haha think last WC wuz really controversial... in fact if i remember correctly (so once again correct me if i am wrong...) lin dan wuz the one who cried(?!?) after losing his match against xia bcos he complained abt the fact that if it had not been fixed to the first game he could have still fought back in the second...

and of course after the official telling-off yang zhang got for losing to gao huang shld also remind the chinese players that if they had to lose... they had to lose looking like they were fighting...

"A tearful Lin, 20, confirmed the internal ruling: Whoever loses the first game loses the match, and must throw the second game.

He said: 'I prepared so long for this event and it really pains me to have everything decided in just one game. After losing the first game, I really didn't want to play the second.'

He went through the motions in the second game, and lost 3-15 in under 10 minutes.

He said: 'I have no idea how to play a one-game match. The strategy is totally different. If there were two or three games, at least I can fight back.'"

BUT... of course once again unless someone comes forth and admits it we will never know the truth to a 100% certainty... just hoping it doesn't happen in the olympics again... haha hate to see it when players with immense talent like lin, yang zhang, etc etc have to forgo their place... haha

17. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    you're right about Hong Kong Open but this competition was very far from both Thomas Cup and Olympics, there were no worries about injury or fatigue problems...
    And we don't know, maybe Lin Dan and Bao Chunlai were told off by LYB after the match for not respecting the rule! ;)
    (or maybe that the rule doesn't apply when playing in front of chinese public? Zhu Weilun did conceide a WO in China Open however...)

Anyway, now that we are close to Thomas Cup and Olympics, they have no other choice than respecting the rule! :(

18. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

oh reali??? hmm... i din noe anything abt this.... hehe
    yah it's reali so unfair to juz play one game n lose everything.... hiaz

19. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

hmm.... i got no idea if there's reali such a rule... :confused:

20. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

Somethings are not meant for us to know, but remain understood even when unspoken. In this case, the words came from the horse's mouth and was even widely reported in the Chinese press. It's not up to us to control or forbid, not the IBF, and not even the poor players themselves who are evidently more often than not at the losing end. Their nation stands to gain, not them.

Get used to it girl. This is bad, but there were and will have worse.

#40 nauknip, Apr 15, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2004