the newest clip

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by w3wmfhe, Jan 30, 2008.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    - Some link LD"s behaviour to murder.

My fault totally. I was trying to point out that even if the racquet missed the target, the fault is still there. This, in reaction to some people who say that Lin Dan is innocent because the racquet did not hit anyone. I brought out murder and the intent to murder as a comparison, and somehow I am supposed to have linked it.

- Some finds Li Mao is understandable and doing his part as a coach, meanwhile, condemning LD for overreacting.

Protesting against line calls/rulings/overrulings. Run-of-the-mill stuff.
    Throwing racquet. Whoa....
    I'm ok with every LD action until the point where he actually threw the racquet.

- Some brings up TH walk out incident to suggest hasher penalty on LD while ignore TH fight with the fan incident.

That is internal tournament; should be handled by PBSI. But anyway, even if someone else got scott-free before, does not mean LD should. I think no one here thinks TH is innocent during that incident.

- Some suggest that LD shouldn't be emotionally affected prior the fight with LM simply because the umpire has overruled the previous bad calls.

This is debatable. Probably, both players are affected.

There are many issues, but the single biggest issue is still LD throwing his racquet at someone. There are still people who claim this is not a big issue. Personally, I cannot understand that.

2. TranslatorGuy

TranslatorGuy Regular Member

Translating now

3. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Instead of "guessing" like this, why don't you spend some time watch the match? You can count how many bad calls there are (ctjcad counted, he said the total is 5, 4 overruled -- note that this is consistent with Zhong Bo's data) in the whole match? And figure out for yourself what changed from G1 to G2, LD became less agressive or LHI played better?

This part of your theory: "Knowing that close line calls could be called in, LHI, IMO, can play more riskier shots" is simply not reasonable. Everyone knows how "patriotic" KO line judges can be for a long time, and of course LHI knew it. So if LHI started to "know" something after G1, it has to be: the umpire is not on his side this time. He cannot simply play risky shots and let the line judges do their "job".

And don't forget, in 06 AG team match, LHI lost his 2nd game to LD 6:21, but came back to win the 3rd. I don't remember he got help from biased calls then.

It's funny to see someone who based all his arguments on guessing blaming ppl who really did some research. :eek: And I don't see anyone in the latter group claiming to be an "expert".

#143 ye333, Feb 3, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Hi man I clearly wrote PSH vs. Taufik in the title of the video... :D

A good point though. I uploaded this video for a totally different reason a few weeks ago and didn't realize that it can be related to the current situation in the past few days. :cool:

5. TranslatorGuy

(Moderators and members, please leave me a PM for Chinese-to-English translations in the future if no one does that after a long time of waiting)

6. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

1. As a Chinese saying goes, "Before figuring out the truth, first make sure you have the facts".

2. I don't think he verdicted "LD gone mad because he just felt like to gone mad and LM has nothing to do with it".

LM may have done nothing wrong and still has "something" to do with LD losing control.

7. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    What LD did was understandable but also wrong. It's like a crime of passion. Understandable but still wrong.

Note: I'm not linking LD's racquet throwing with any crime of passion.

8. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Such a disclaimer is indeed necessary when dealing with fans. :D

9. TranslatorGuy

Was Lin Dan's action justified? Can we only punish a person after he or she "has beaten up" someone?

Last Sunday, during Korea Open Men final match, a dispute broke out as a result of Lin Dan's dissatisfaction of the umpire's judgement, which is nothing of an extraordinary. However, things became controversial because Korea's badminton team coach Li Mao intervened during the dispute, which triggered massive news reporting from the country's (China) media.

Everybody understood what happened, and therefore a description of the event won't be given. This report will be dedicated to describing the reactions from various China's shuttle sports club.

Firstly, China's Table Tennis club head said "Team China will not punish Lin Dan because his actions are justified as anyone who had been verbally abused will not think rationally, thereby producing unthought actions"

PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THESE WORDS:

"Will not punish" & "justified": Lin Dan disputed with the umpire and opponent's coach during Korea Open. Besides this, the workers at the scene had managed to stop Lin Dan's provocative action. Those who have watched the videos that depict these two occurrences should be able to see that no matter whether the umpire's judgement is erroneous or not, as a sportsperson, such actions are not tolerated. Therefore, how can it be said that "they are justified"? Such rule-breakings still would not incur punishments? Do we need to wait for Super Dan to beat up a person first and wait for the injuries to be medically certified before the association can punish the player?

"Verbal abuse": Lin Dan was verbally abused by his opponent? Let's have a bit of "rule-out" thinking. Firstly, the claim of "Lin Dan was verbally abused" was made by himself during an interview, therefore the insult could not have been said by Lee Hyun-Il or the umpire. The reason is very simple: Lin Dan would not be able to understand the language of their vilification. Consequently, it can only be possible that Li Mao himself has scolded Lin Dan. But what did Li Mao say to Lin Dan? The country's (China) media did not say what it was, but Li Mao himself claimed he only said "Did you want to beat me up?"

The stalemate between Li Mao and Lin Dan lasted for a period of time, so the former must have said more than just a sentence; it is possible that Li Mao may have uttered a derogatory word. However, Lin Dan should not forget that it was him who FIRST threw the racquet at him. Throwing racquet at Li Mao or anyone else is wrong, but throwing racquet alone is permissible?

Secondly, let's take a look at what China Men's single Li Yongbo has to say: "Li Mao, first of all, broke the rules and regulations by standing up from his seat. In accordance to the rule, this is not permissible. Subsequently, we went to reason with him, but he gave me a push".

Keywords: "Firstly". Li Mao "was the first" to break the rule. Without a doubt, he had indeed broken this rule. Subsequent to that, the two Chinese coaches also stood up and walked to him - and in the process, broke the same rule. All in all, everybody had broken the same rule.

"Reasoning". Li Yongbo claimed that Li Mao was the first gave him a push, but video footages show that it was Yongbo himself who first did it, which Li Mao retaliated by giving him a push. However, the difference was only the strength of "pushing" in which Li Mao applied a stronger push.

As for Li Yongbo's reasoning, regardless of whether he has witnessed the match, he will only utter "Lin Dan was not at fault, I have faith in him."

This Korea Open match is only the beginning to the rivalry between Li Mao and Li Yongbo. Based on Lin Dan's action alone, it is unsatisfactory if the association does not punish him.

Last year's China Open Men final between Lee Chong Wei and Bao Chunlai, most of the judgements did not favour the former. Nevertheless, Chong Wei did not react similarly to Lin Dan. This year's Korea Open, the favourable judgements for Lee Hyun Il are evidential, yet having played badminton for such a long time, Lin Dan reacted as such?

(The article above does not mean to attack China’s Badminton team; Li Mao himself is a Chinese, but he is the coach for Korea’s team. No matter what, sports will remain as sports. Please do not elevate the issue to the political level)

Pardon my grammar and spelling mistakes. Impromptu translations are bad :p

#149 TranslatorGuy, Feb 3, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  10. TranslatorGuy

Article #134 mainly discusses Lin Dan's mentality. It a bit complex for me to translate it... sorry

11. block306

block306 Regular Member

Thanks- you have done well already.

12. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    thanks translatorguy. :) a good effort.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Thanks much for the translation..

..for us again, TranslatorGuy!:cool:..as for the above translation's part in bold, i assume they're typos?? As it should be Zhong Bo, who was the coach involved w/Li Mao, not LYB, at the time of the incident..:rolleyes: :cool:

14. tyran

tyran Regular Member

as whatyou said,"Before figuring out the truth, first make sure you have the facts",however, your statement is based on guessing.
    back to the video, LD walk directly to Korea coach seat after threwing the racket. this behavior could be judged as trying to attack someone.

15. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I didn't "guess" anything in the post you replied. The last sentence is just a "reminder", mentioning the possibility of one situation. I didn't claim that's what happened.

I don't think anyone has judged "LD walk directly to Korea coach seat after threwing the racket" as "trying to attack someone", so are you proposing a new possibility here? :confused:

16. TranslatorGuy

My bad, ctjcad. I think I better learn to differentiate between Yongbo and Zhongbo's names!

17. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I wouldn't pay attention to what he said. He couldn't even tell TH apart from LD :eek:

On the other hand, what LM did in MO 08 does not prove whether he did the same in MSF KO 08 or not :cool:

#157 Birdwood, Feb 4, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  18. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I don't like your attitude. Whether he can tell TH from LD or not has nothing to do with his main point, that is it is possible that LM tends to react strongly when controversial calls happen.

19. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

If someone got his view all mixed up, how can I expect his main point correct :confused:

His argument was that LM's reaction in MO 08 (shown in video) was also toward LD. But it's not. So the comparison with MSF KO 08 was invalid. It's a "make-believe" :cool:

20. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

TranslatorGuy, thanks for translating the post #133, but I don't think your time was wisely used in this case. The Chinese piece was not a news article. It's someone's personal opinion. We don't know who wrote it so we can't debate the nameless author for what he/she said, worst of all, the author is not even a BCer and unlikely he/she will read our responses :cool:

I hope BC forum is not a clipboard simply for copying and pasting of personal opinions of just everyone from outside BC and without even a name attached :rolleyes: