The New Zealand Nationals (team event)

Discussion in '2005 Tournaments' started by adelina76, Sep 12, 2005.

1. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    It took me the entire tournament but finally, I played true to my form! But alas, a little too late. It was weird..I was quite nervous actually but decided perhaps a way to calm my nerves was to go for a short 10 mins run before hand. It worked! I played much better and more relaxed but unfortunately, like EekOh (who didn't come up and say hi :() said, the Waikato Peruvian player was just too good although in the first set, I actually thought I might have had a chance to beat her when I was trailing 8-10.

Dunno what happened in the second set, a few costly errors and lost 3-11, dang nabbit! Oh well...doubles was another close affair, I think we would have been on court for at least 40 mins or so! It was a great battle but we lost too :( Mix as usual was a sad affair :p that's all I'll say :)

All in all, great tournament, and not sure if you were there for the speech made by the NZ Reserve squad coach Eek Oh, but he said congrats to Waitakere for winning the Wisden (Div 1) and for being the no.2 team in NZ, meaning Waikato is really the no.1 team. The question is, can Waikato consistently field this 'international' team in their squad year after year? That's most unlikely..but we'll see.

So that was my last tournament :( Until next time folks...:) Now, off to Europe and hopefully meet some of you guys who live there and perhaps play a few friendly games :)

A

2. eek!oh!

eek!oh! Regular Member

I'm much too shy! But I did watch your singles game!

According to the Sunday Star Times, most of Waikatos players will still be availble next year, including their German No 1.

But it was an amazing experience. What other tournament could you see the top NZ players as well as some of the top juniors & Masters players?

Bon Voyage Adelina! Hopefully you'll be back for the Slazenger Cup next year!

3. noluckjim

noluckjim Regular Member

Student
    You were there too? Were you the guy, over in the crowd, on that side of the hall... :p

Pity I missed the singles, the first set sounded like good fun :) Oh well, I guess that about wraps up the badminton scene in NZ for this year :( . Next year though...;)