The Long Road Back....

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by justme86, Apr 9, 2011.

1. justme86

justme86 Regular Member

Student
    So Iv decided to post my recent (long term) frustrations.

I had previously played a quite a decent level, doing ok in national tournaments and getting a decent ranking.

Then around 2 years ago ( 22 years old ), had a bit of a bad season due to work commitments and not being able to train as much but still playing "ok" so to speak.

Then the last year has been terrible, I hardly play - although I still want to play, and because I'm hardly playing when I do, its not good. I'm finding it hard starting to lose games and play so badly compared to 2 years ago. Just wondering if anyone else has went through the same and did they pull out of it and return to their former "self" so to speak ?

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    yeah. just force to keep on playing. ;)

3. thejym

thejym Regular Member

I think what makes it particularly tough is if you keep thinking about your former self. You may need to accept the possibility that you may never get back to your former self without a lot of work, so it will definitely be a long road back... Try to set some smaller, but still challenging goals, like improving your consistency or speed, without focusing so much on results, and maybe before long you will start winning matches that you used to win two years ago. It is probably nearly impossible to play little and still maintain the level of play you had achieved before (I'm sure you trained many many hours a week). If your skills don't decline, most likely the speed, power, or consistency will.. so if you're stuck with a lot of outside work, there may be nothing you can do but to try to enjoy the game more?

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I'm finding it hard starting to lose games

It looks like you are thinking of comparing to yourself 2 years' ago.

Players usually compare themselves 2 weeks' ago. :):):)

For me, the enjoyment in playing Badminton is more important compared to the form we are in. If you think that your form today is terrible, than get yourself to play more often; And your previous better form (2 years' ago) will perhaps return.

5. UncleFester

UncleFester Regular Member

Negative emotions is a gamekiller, for sure.
    It sounds to me like you are a bit pessimistic, stop focusing on what you cant do anymore, and start focusing on what you still can do.

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    It may be worth looking hard at your tactics when you are playing. I am sure two years ago you had weaknesses of some sort or "off days" or particular strengths. You built your game around these things, and successfully from the sounds of it.

Now, when playing a bit less than you would like, be critical and decide what are your CURRENT strengths and weaknesses. This may be the same as trying to play on an off day a few years ago where, ON THE DAY, something is just not working the way it should. Now is the time to go back to basics - get all your shots in. If you have a choice between a shot you have been mistiming a lot, or another option (either a simpler option OR a more difficult option) then for goodness sake try something different :) You may find some shots are easier to you now than before, or that you have to restrict yourself to simpler options for the time being. When you are playing, be realistic about the player you are TODAY, and build your game around THAT set of abilities.

I have no doubt that playing more will, like always, expand your skillset. You have an advantage in that you used to be able to do certain things, so the learning of them is not new, but is more like remembering them. However, without an awful lot of practice, there is very little chance of being the player you were before by the end of the week. So, accept that you are a different player for the moment, and work towards regaining and improving your skills.

Matt