The linesman is worse

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by baihaki_as, Sep 23, 2006.

1. baihaki_as

baihaki_as Regular Member

OMG, LCW get two bad calls in QF and LHI get three bad calls all happen in the game they lost against BCL, it made badminton not interesting again especially in wc, too many conspirancy , ibf should change the way or they'll fail to make badminton popular

2. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    I just wanna ask about this...

What's the IBF requirement when they called/recruited this WC's linesmen and umpires?
    Do they have enough experience/qualification to duty in the WC?
    I remember as for the football world cup, the selection requirement for the linesmen and referee is quite tough

3. baihaki_as

yeah i want to ask too, is it the all the linesman come from spain, if it does, ohhhhh

4. badcliq

badcliq Regular Member

probably just get some1 who has "good" eyesight....

when shuttle falls out of the line, call out...
    when shuttle falls on the line, call in...
    if u not sure, just do watever reflects u got! :p

5. verinee@yey

verinee@yey Regular Member

stdnt
    yeah poor lee hyun ill...

6. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

And he reacted the same way as LCW yesterday, both well mannered player who are well known for their cool and calmness threw their racquet! Had nvr saw them reacted like this b4. It can clearly shows how bad was the linejudges.... dissappointed.....

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Can you give more details of these bad calls? I have both matches on my dvd and I can tell you that the so-called bad call against LCW with the score at 17/17 and the one against LHI which made him complain loudly were good calls, not bad calls. Pls give me more details like the set number, the players and the scores when the so-called bad calls were made. I will go through the matches and replay them in slow motion repeatedly and see if what you claim is true.
    Pls do not jump to wrong conclusions unless you have seen the evidence.
    BTW, what appears to be bad calls on TV can be good calls when replayed back in slow motion. This is because of the speed of the shuttle and the angle of the camera.

8. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Well, players like LHI and LCW are experience and professional enough, they must have a good reason to react like this... I'm sure their eyesight wouldnt be in much problem for twice or thrice in a row

9. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Yup, and 1 more thing is they NEVER reacted like that b4.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

But I have the evidence which shows that the two calls, one against LCW and the other LHI, were good, not bad. The evidence I have is on dvd. If you want to verify just let me know and I will send you a dvd, which you can play and replay, I suggest at 1/4 speed, to find out that both LCW and LHI were not always right. BTW, when you are down, complaining against so-called line calls is a good tactic to break your opponent's winning streak. If the call is good, a rowdy protest against a line call is bad sportsmanship. Pls think of the other fellow too.

11. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

I think of everyone, and find that no one has never complained about the line judgement.

I'm not just talking about LCW and LHI, it's just that in the new scoring system, IBF should do something like tennis so that we wouldn't see Peter Gade smash his racquet one day

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

In the semi-final between LIn Dan and Chen Hong there was a bad line call in the first set. Lin Dan's shot Chen Hong's forehand sideline looked to be out but was called in by the linesman. The umpire overruled the linesman and awarded the point to Chen Hong. However, when that shot was replayed on TV a few seconds later that shot appears to be in. Here we have the same shot shown on TV, but with 2 different results. The first footage, a full length one, showed it was out. However, when it was replayed on TV, but this time zoomed towards the line, it appears to be in. Now, this would be a nightmare if TV is not used very carefully to decide. In badminton, the shuttlecock (not the feathers) is small and its speed is very fast. TV replay must use exceptionally high shuttle-speed cameras-and high shuttle speeds will also mean low light and noise and poor images-to do a good job. Also the replay in slow motion is preferred.

13. Angelou

Angelou Regular Member

yeah, I agree with taneepak. Even if they are honest, when people are under pressure, they can start seeing things and even doing things they don't normally do. And also, the human eye can only see up to 40 frames per second, any gaps in between are predicted by the mind. (or that's what my friends have told me, tell me if I'm wrong). Plus we have to consider the example set by LCW. If he complains about bad line calls, LHI might become conscious of the bad line calls, and etc etc.

14. noise

noise Regular Member

ic, so u have the dvd...do u mind if i get u to send 1 copy to me?

15. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

One malaysian paper quoted that Malaysia will send their complaint later to IBF after BAM meeting. It is said that volunteers without the qualification certificates are hired as the line judges here.

16. chungg

chungg Regular Member

student
    As you said, what appears to be bad calls on TV can be good calls because of the angle of camera. When the camera is not set exactly on the sideline, what appeared to be a good call(even on slow motion) may be a bad call as well. So even you have the video, as long as the camera is not set correctly and close enough, you still can't be sure whether it is a good call or not.

And just as you said, the shuttle is so fast that human eye can't not catch it well and the players may see something they actually didn't see. So as the line judges. That's why tennis tournaments now introduce eagle eye system to prevent these mistakes.

17. baihaki_as

see that but if u want sent me dvd it's ok :)

18. donchang

donchang Regular Member

I think the IBF should discuss this issue with the equipment supplier (Yonex) to inject technology in Badminton like using a sensor court mat to sense the shuttlecock (sensor will possible to sense the shuttle if a tiny piece of copper or metal is placed in the cork) in or out of the line. And i wondering why until now that there is still no any equipment has been invented this way as this can make the game more fair and also has cut down on manpower issue as most of the linesman is volunteer. So how all you guys think on my idea? Wonder that will i get any award if Yonex buy this idea!!!!!!!! Really hope the equipment manufacturer can do something to solve this bad line call issue!!!!

19. baihaki_as

if u have the technology maybe they'll buy

20. kobe77sg

kobe77sg Regular Member

Yup I agree that the linesmen in thiw WC is poor. as the linesmen are mostly local, you can't expect the linesemen to bee god as how many people play badminton in Spain or how many badminton tournament held there. There is the disavantadge when big tournament held in this country.

I feel that IBF also unfair as spain has host the WC2001 in sevilla and WC2006 in MAdrid. Spain already host two WC in 5 years .