the crowd and the atmosphere

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2003' started by kwun, Mar 24, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the crowd in the Sudirman Cup was pretty alive. there are a huge amoutn of Chinese supporters during the semi. strangely, i believe i saw more Chinese supporter during the semi than during the final. many of them seems to be local students as i saw some of the riding their bikes to the venues.

many of the cheers from the Chinese team was initiated by Xia, he acted as the lead of the cheering. he will go "Zhong Guo Dui" (Chinese Team), and the rest of the supporters will go "Ga You" (step on the gas).

the Koreans didn't have too many supporters during the semi final, but during the finals, somehow the korean crowd got much bigger. the korean have better cheerleading imho. as they have songs while the Chinese only have Ga You.

the Korean supporters like to use the exclamation "aaaaaaAAAAAHHHSSSA!" a lot during the beginning of the match. later i realized i can break their spirit, so i yelled "Zhong Guo Dui" in between, so the result became:

Korean : "aaaaaaAAAAHHHHSSSA !"
    kwun : "Zhong Guo Dui !"
    Korean : "aaaaaaAAAAHHHHSSSA !"
    kwun : "Zhong Guo Dui !"

effectively turning around the Korean cheering to support the Chinese. the first time i did that injected some laughters from the other audiences. i wonder if any of you heard me yell that.

later on, other Chinese supporters made another variation of the cheers, they went:

"aaaaaaaaAAAAAAA PEI!"

Pei in Chinese means "fart" or "spit".

the Danish team has their own cheering too. when a player playing against a Danish player hits a birdie out, they will sing a tune (one of the NBA basketball tune) and then shout "OUT!" if the player ever complains about the judging, then they will do that a few times. quite funny. i have a recording of it using the mic in my digital camera, i will see if can post that when i figure out how to extract the sound out of the MPEG.

all in all the atmosphere was really amazing, the crowd was really into the match and was cheering very loudly for their teams. especially during the WS, MS and MD match between China and Korea.

i lost much of my voice after the two days. but it was much worth it, i enjoyed it very much.

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Sounds like an amazing atmosphere.. too bad you didn't have a video camera with you! btw... "Gia yu" literally translates to "add oil", which is synomenous with speeding up a car by stepping on the gas to increase the fuel feed. Do post the audio clip when you can!!

3. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Oh, what a wonderful time you must have had Kwun!! I can just picture you yelling "Zhong Guo Jia You" in the midst of the Korean "aaaaaaAAAAHHHHSSSA". Then, the rest of the European crowd must have turned around and wondered who the heck those crazy Asians were!!!:D

4. Yong

Yong Regular Member

ICT consultant
    Wow, you must have had a great time ! :)

'Zhong Guo Dui' .. ahh they were yelling that all the time (at least i remembered that it sounded as something like this ;) ) while i watched China play in their poule matches...Now I understand why !

So you managed to have good seats ?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. we were sitting on the camera side (so don't even think you will find me on tv) and right next to the barrier on the first row. i think that's much better a view then where most people sit, high up on the other side behind the players' tables.