Thaihot CHINA Open SS Premier 2014 : FINALS (16th November 2014)

Discussion in 'Korea / China Open 2014' started by CLELY, Nov 15, 2014.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Lin Dan wasn't moving very fluidly at times in his match against Srikanth. I don't know if that was because LD was injured or because he didn't care. We do know LD pulled out of the HK Super Series but we haven't been given a reason yet. At times, Srikanth looked like he was moving 2x the speed of LD, especially to the back court to get his smashes and also a few net kills.

There was one thing I can say for sure. Srikanth LOOKED like he wanted the win more than LD. LD's body language was rather passive (unlike his 2008 Olympic gold match body language). Even if LD is suffering from the knee injury (it would explain why he pulled out from HK SS), a part of me thinks LD underestimated Srikanth or outright disrespected Srikanth.

This is good for Srikanth and India, to win a men's SS title. To be frank, I would never have guessed India would win a men's singles SS while Japan has come close but has gone home empty handed time and time again. It's good for the men's singles scene to open up to more competitors. So far over the last year, we have Denmark and India winning the men's singles SS (with Japan coming close several times) so it's getting more interesting than before when it was either LCW or LD winning it.

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Indeed. Even though morten frost and GC were completely praising lindan all the way during the match , we can find morten saying the count of missing smashes from Srikanth.

These talks will continue for some more time. Instead of praising a kid winning his maiden title, some people keep on talking about their dejection throughout. This makes me very sad. No way he is injured at all. Period.

I wonder srikanth played slow pace game throughout and was able to win his match. Whereas he played fast pace game against leechongwei in singapore open this year but still lost after a hard fight.

MORAL: SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE.

#502 scorpion1, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

As I said in the LD thread, when asked by an Indian reporter at the post game interview, LD couldn't remember when he last lost a final. Here's the result... only 6 times since 2009. And 4 of those times to LCW.

And since LD h2h against LCW is like 23:9, should we excuse LCW of injury in many of those losses? Even though LCW did play with injuries many times... ;)

#503 visor, Nov 17, 2014
  4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Not many new winners because LCW was always there. It has been LCW, CL and LD.

Like someone said, LCW will beat many players along his path and waiting for him in the final are usually CL or LD. In LCW's absence, many second tier players will play each other of the same level and once CL stumbles, everyone has a chance and this time KS took it.

5. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    Please Do Not Undermine the Opponents By Pulling an Injury Card!

With all due respect...

Srikanth almost died from brain fever just 4 months ago,going by your excuse of injury, I guess winning an SSP against the 'GOD Of Badminton' makes Srikanth even more Greater than the GOD himself.

I may have exaggerated a bit but it was still a career threatening situation when he was lying on a bed in an ICU.

Lin Dan, as we all know, is capable of beating an underdog like Srikanth even with an injured knee. The only player or players he wouldnt able to beat in that condition are LCW, CL and the likes. Srikanth won fair and square with his own abilities and not because of LD's favor. Sure I was surprised by how LD was playing. He didn't look like the LD I have known all along. That may be because SK never let LD play his game or let him settle in to a rhythm. You may be right about the injury affecting his game but that can't be the only reason now, cant it? For all we know, LD's shot-making and game plan repertoire is as large as a sea. So even in contingency situations like these LD would win against a fairly talented player. If he was not able to then that means he is up against a formidable player who can beat him at least 1 out of 3 times if not more.

Show some respect, Do not Patronize the opponent by giving an Excuse of a bad knee.

Kashyap has asthma and yet plays competitively and also he has taken LD and LCW to three games quite a few times. So is it fair for me to pull an "Asthma" card every time he loses?

How about Peter Koukal of Czech republic, who fought cancer?

There are many players who play with some kind of injury for the most part of their careers yet they manage to pull some big wins.

My point is that I dont think LD's knee injury is serious enough to loose otherwise he would have given a walk over.

Please do not undermine the talent of the opponent of your favorite player by pulling an Injury Card.

#505 rahuldarga, Nov 17, 2014
  6. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    After watching the match, I felt the same way - LD probably underestimated KS and took it easy at first. But you could see LD wanted to win the match too towards the end but it was already too late.

7. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Correct call. I watched her serve twice at the beginning of the 2nd game. She took FOREVER. She did get serve faster afterwards though, but the chair umpire makes that call. When both sides are ready, there should not be too much time to serve. What if both of us were ready and I just stood there and not served? People would take advantage and hold until the receiver stumbles then serve then. This rule is to penalize the server for that (which is different from other delays such as walking around between each point etc.)

neither side shall cause an undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and receiver are ready for the service...

The correct vocabulary in that case though would be "Fault - ‘Service delayed, play must be continuous’"

Going under the net is not necessary always legal either. It is illegal if the opponent is distracted/obstructed. Otherwise what if I dove for a shot and slid all the way to the other side?

Pretty sure the umpire said that ZN touched the net though. Watch the side replay, the bottom of the net moved.

#507 CantSmashThis, Nov 17, 2014
  8. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    Whoaa this thread is still hot even after few days! :D

I didn't watch the game but find the result quite surprising, especially Lin Dan of course, wish he a very quick recovery with his injury then. I find that player with injury would be in very difficult situation, so yeah...

Anyway, congrats to all winning player and their supporters as well. No INA even from sf, God... how it break my heart, haha. I also need to find Akane video soon, she looks like a promising player in future.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Absolutely. Wonder which men's singles will take the initiative to become the dominant force. There is a vacuum waiting to be filled. Will it be KS? CTC?

Strangely, we don't throw in an Indonesian nor a Malaysian name in the consideration. Who could have thought this ten years ago?

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Indonesia still have TS and maybe SS but Malaysia, it may take another few years from the around 20 years young group. CWF and to some extend Liew Darren if he is not dropped are just making up the numbers in these tournaments.

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Good post.

It's hard for these fans to accept when their idols lose and if they win, then there will be the opposite with praises like they can even win with and injury and blah blah.

And speaking of the word "G.d" which I am reluctant to use, please don't call him G.d of Badminton because G.d won't and can't get injured. Also I think the mods should remind members that this word is prohibited in this forum.

12. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    nok88, I was not aware of such rule. Thanks for letting me know, I used that word figuratively and not in religious context. Next time I'll make sure not to use such words.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

It's fine if you used god, just not capitalized God. No religion or politics allowed.

14. renbo

renbo Regular Member

In retrospect, LD's performance in the final, with possibly a knee injured, through some positive light on LCW's career. He may not have won the big ones, but he was able to play back-to-back tournaments, and win them, for many years, with very rare WO. It is an achievement I believe, though not so shiny

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    No worries. I was not directing at you. It wasn't started by you. :)

16. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Lin Dan should get some stem cell treatment to help accelerate his healing process in time for the next tourney :)

17. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student

[MENTION=51369]nokh88[/MENTION], does my post count as prohibited as well? OMG.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

hey, you said OMG in capital... ;)

19. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    I know. ;) ;)

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Haha..since when I became the mods?

Some use Heaven instead.