Tension loss experiments / 1-piece vs. 2-piece and others

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Jul 12, 2021.

1. konstancij

konstancij Regular Member

Nice work, I would not expect such close results for 2k and 4k.

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You could settle the matter for people debating whether or not to spend extra on a machine with fixed clamps...

Come on, Simon - this is consumer advice! :p

kakinami and flyingcords like this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That's a fair point. Good thing is that it only needs one rackets to be done and I could compare it to the data of the ongoing experiment (which is halfway done btw). Let me see how boring the rest of the summer is going to be. ;)

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

That's the beauty of having a control racket in the bank ;)

5. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

Flying clamps seem to be popular for tennis stringing, not only for being cheaper or easier to use but "for producing results as precise or better than any clamping system, including fixed clamps" (as explained but not demonstrated in the results of a test from the article in the link below).
    I'm not sure that one day there will be such kind of high standard flying clamps for badminton, but I would like to share with you what I read about this "clamping revolution", that was first initiated by Stringway and now updated by Pro Stringer : https://www.gutsandglorytennis.com/...-precision-passion-to-your-stringing-arsenal/

EDIT : I am not saying, I agree with what they are "promoting", I just wanted to show that "triple flying clamps" do exist and combined with "more common" double flying clamps seem to do a good job for some tennis stringers ... (I've never tried those clamps, so I have no idea if they work well ...)

#45 flyingcords, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  6. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I never knew flying clamps were popular for tennis stringing and could be as precise or better than any clamping system. I guess you are evenly damaging the string by putting pressure on both sides of the string having to clamp on the previous string to hold tension, but to have air as your anchor for your clamp instead of a clamp that can be locked with maybe 2 to 5mm of movement on your clamp, can air be as precise or better than a fixed clamp? Interesting test to see if a flying clamp would give same ping frequency as fixed clamps. @kwun ? =)

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there is no way that flying clamps are anywhere near as accurate as fixed clamp.

imagine what happens when the clamp is engaged, there are 2 strings on one side of the clamp, and 1 string on another side of the clamp. by law of physics, the sum of the tension of the 2 strings must be same as the tension of the one string.

given you are tensioning at say 20lbs, now, is it 20+20=40? or 10+10=20? or probably somewhere in between. none of which are close to what is the desired tension.

kakinami likes this.
  8. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Until you pull the next string, restoring equilibrium, and getting an even tension.

I'm not saying flying clamps are more accurate than fixed clamps, but to say it's not anywhere near seems like an exaggeration.

9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Well, Simon can settle the matter for us...
    :D

kakinami likes this.
  10. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Sorry never studied physics. Only biology. You guys are math nerds. =P

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Part II: 0% pre-stretch vs. 10% pre-stretch

We can make this shorter this time around.

IMG_4776.jpg

Experiment setup
    Rackets: 2 x Victor Super Waves 36
    String: Gosen G-Tone 5 (0.65 mm), yellow
    Stringer: myself
    Machine: StringMaster Deluxe with WISE tension head
    Strung directly back to back with same process flow details (Haribito 1-Piece, no added tension before tie-off knots, no double pulls)

Tension settings:
    Racket #1: 12 x 12 kg (26.4 x 26.4 lbs.), 0% pre-stretch
    Racket #2: 12 x 12 kg (26.4 x 26.4 lbs.), 10% pre-stretch

For reference, here's how the pre-stretch function on the WISE looks like:

So it adds that extra 10% in the initially pulled tension for <1 sec. and then falls back to the set tension.

Measurement
    see post #1:
    Results
    Both rackets were always stored next to each other, no change of storage location and conditions this time (which made it pretty boring tbh...).

First, let's look at the absolut ping values:
    upload_2021-8-13_10-20-23.png

And now, let's translate that into percentages:
    upload_2021-8-13_10-40-12.png

Raw data file:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucxpmrauvyyvpaw/Tension Loss Pre-Stretch.xlsx?dl=0

Conclusions
    The results are -again- very clear and don't leave much room for additional mumbo jumbo stringing voodoo hearsay.

Both rackets behave indentically (given the measurement inaccuracy) in terms of tension loss over time.

The only real difference is the starting point which is almost 30 Hz higher with the 10% PS enganged which can lead to the impression that there is an improved tension retention over time. A likely explanation for the higher initial tension could be that due to friction, a certain amount of the overstretch remains in the pulled string - especially on the cross strings.

As long as the maximum tension remains within the elastic limits of the string, that short tension "overload" doesn't seem to change anything in the structure. Results may vary if tensions are even higher and the string gets pushed over the elastic limit - although I'm afraid this will only have negative effects in terms of repulsion.

Also, a different behaviour of the tension head might produce different results. For example, some Victor machines apparently pull to the 10% extra, then dropping back significantly below the set value and then pull again to the set tension (thanks to @Alex82 for that information, didn't know that before). My guess is, that this could also take away the initial difference since the effect of the string friction will have less impact.

Bottom line
    Don't worry about the missing pre-stretch function if you are still on a manual machine. Just add 1 lb. and you would have the same result.

#51 s_mair, Aug 13, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Goggles, speCulatius, I3ugs and 8 others like this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Whoever talked me into this… I do not like you at the moment.

[​IMG]

For the record, I had to cheat with the fixed clamp once on the first cross.
    And thanks @kwun for your “How to start mains with flying clamps” video. I would have been lost without it.

DarthHowie, Goggles, thyrif and 3 others like this.
  13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Very interesting - I was expecting the pre-stretched racket's percentage curve to be higher. This is why we do experiements, I suppose!

I'm confused as to why the prestretched racket would start with a higher ping, though...
    I would expect the precentage curve to drop in those cases - once you've gone into the plastic zone, the string doesn't "come back" any more.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    but we love you. so that should cancel it out. :D

speCulatius and s_mair like this.
  15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I think the results are going to surprise at least half of us :D.

(Haven't seen a SW36 since... since I had a SW35, come to think of it.
    Who was it that used to use the 36? Park Sung-Hwan, or somebody like that?)

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Friction. The crosses are pulled with a peak tension of 29 lbs. before it falls back. The friction with the main strings will keep some of the extra tension on the string so that the effective tension when it’s clamped will be somewhere between 26.4 and 29 lbs.

With those 29 lbs. max there is still quite a margin before you top the elastic limit I guess. Results could very well be different if you move into insane-tension-plus10%-territory.

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The things you do for love, right?

It really got my brain going as well. Turns out that my usual pattern isn’t a good match with flying clamps so I really had to pay attention not to mess it up. So the good old 2-piece seems to be the pattern of choice for flying clamps.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually there are more flexibility when flying clamps are used. As more clamps can be used. eg. to do 50/50 center out cross, it is really difficult to do without flying clamps.

19. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

There was a time I gave serious thought to adding another two fixed clamps to my machine (I had that much money, and that little sense) so I could try a fixed-clamp 50/50.

And very lazy mains, but that was by-the-by :)

thyrif and kwun like this.
  20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    lol. with that many clamp bases it'd be complete chaos.