Tension for Ti-10

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Alvin, Dec 10, 2000.

1. Alvin

Alvin Guest

My coach had his normal racquet stung at 27lbs(just a normal racquet) and the racquet is still in shape.So,do u guys think that an expensive racquet like the Ti-10 could stand maybe 28 to 30 lbs?

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I wouldn't push it that far Alvin, my Ti-10 is strung at 22lbs which is the highest recommended tension. But still, they always reccomend lower tensions. However, my friends who use this racket theirs at 25lbs. I think that would be nice unless you already have a prefered tension. Mines 22lbs.

3. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    A good stringer can string a racquet up to this tension - however majority of stringers out there simply can't do this, in fact, they will reluctant to do so as they afraid to break your racquet.

From the people I know, I do know one strung up to 27/8 lbs. It is really too high for me ! If you don't know what string tension is best for you, I suggest you to start with the Yonex's recommended range. My personal favorite is BG85 at 24 lbs.

Fyi, Carlton said that (written clearly in the product leaflet) its AS-1 racquet can hold up to 40 lbs (must use Carlton High Tension String). This is the highest tension I ever heard of - but I simply think that no one will string his/her racquet even close to this tension unless he/she wants to conduct an experiment !

4. Don

Don Regular Member

My Ti-10 is at 30 lbs. Ti-10s can take that tension I believe, I've also seen a Ti-10 at 40 lbs. I'm surprised that Yonex doesn't recommend high tension stringing.

5. Alvin

Alvin Guest

30lbs?wow,high tension man.did your racquet bend or crack?and do u need more energy using such high tension?

6. Don

Don Regular Member

Well, I play squash too, and my squash racquet is strung to 60 lbs I believe or higher. I do practice with my squash racquet time to time, clearing/smashing/driving. Higher tensions don't bother me, plus I weight train for both sports. My racquet head is in excellent condition, to tell you the truth, I get lots of power and accuracy at this tension, and i don't waste any energy.

7. Alvin

Alvin Guest

where can i find info and pictures about that carlton AS-1 ?Or have u seen it?how much does it cost?

8. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    Actually I've this racquet which was bought in Taiwan. It costs ~NTD 2,400. For picture, you can goto http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/677/shopscr375.html (it is so hard for me to locate a picture on the Web for this racquet). As far as I know, it is the top model of Carlton racquet so far.

9. Alvin

Alvin Guest

Is it a AS-1 or ASI ?according tot he website u gave me,it's ASI .I also found another website http://www.racketsport.dk/produkter.asp?produkt_grp=5 .this website says that the airblade2000 is even more expensive.what do u think?anyway,do u think that racquet is good?

10. Magnus

Magnus Guest

OK, here's a UK link too, with an image and specs:
    http://www.centralsports.co.uk/
    (go to "browse catalog" and check out the Carlton racquets)

11. Magnus

Magnus Guest

The real test will be when your string breaks ;-) If you're unlucky, your frame will implode... it's nasty!

12. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    It is "Airblade AS-1" - this is something printed on my racquet. As I said before I bought my AS-1 in Taiwan. The shop also has Airblade 2000 for sell as well, which is a bit cheaper than the AS-1, and the salesman told me that the AS-1 is the top and newest model from Carlton (I was surprised that the official Carlton Web site does not have any information on this racquet).

It is light (probably similar to a Yonex 3U racquet), heavy head and stiff racquet. I found that it is very powerful, and at the same time, having above average control. However, perhaps because I've used Yonex racquets for so long, I still haven't felt very handy with this racquet after playing with it for a few times (fyi, mine was strung with Carlton High Tension string at 24 lbs).

If you like Carlton and want to get a powerful racquet which is better suited for offense, you will probably like this racquet.

13. Don

Don Regular Member

I've played with it for 4 months and nothing yet, so I guess I'm lucky or this racquet can withstand the tension.

14. Alvin

Alvin Guest

i wnet to the Proace racquet website.They said that any proace racquet could with stand about 31lbs tension but a guy from the badminton shop i always go told me that the proace racquet can't even take 29lbs.it bended after finished stringing the cross.well,anybody else with racquets with higher tension we could ever imagine?

15. Alvin

Alvin Guest

1 more thing,can those gromlet holes(that plastic round thing) be replaced?mine had started to wear off.

16. Don

Don Regular Member

Sure, but you only replace them when you get your racquet re-strung. I know that my stringer gives me new ones every time I get my racquet restrung.

17. Alvin

Alvin Guest

The carlton AS-1 is made of graphite and could withstand up to 40lbs.....Do u guys believe it?Even a Ti-10 may just explode at this tension.What about the Musclepower100?Do u guys think that it will be able to stand that kind of tension.wait u guys,i'll get 2 MP100 when i get my Ang Pao money next month and i'll try one of them with 50lbs of tension.I'm gonna do an experiment!!!Anyway,does anyone know the cost price of a MP100?

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    when carlton claim and advertised their 40 lb (AS-1) racket, i presume that carlton can back it up with x-number of days warranty. Yes, it is a marketing tactic as most badminton players wouldn't like it so tight but carlton is backing this claim. Yes, daring stringer can put 30+ lbs on Ti-10 but you void yonex warranty immediately over 22 lbs. I noticed that yonex hasn't match or beat carlton 40 pounder yet.

I have strung half a dozen high end carlton rackets (~27 lbs as per request) and my personal stress tests tell me those carlton can take 40 pounds if needed.

19. Toby

Toby Guest

so if i string a yonex racket over it's specification tension
    then there's no warranty?

20. Don

Don Regular Member

obviously not