Tennis Elbow -- Recovery

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by kimdongmoon, Apr 21, 2008.

1. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    What's the difference between golfers and tennis? I hear elbow complaints all the time as being either "inside" or "outside" - as in the pointy part that you use on other people's ribs or the part that doctors stick needles into. For me, the tendon that attaches the bicep to my forearm begins to hurt if I move it wrong. I assume that this is tennis elbow, so what is golfer's elbow?

2. Farles

Farles New Member

Is there any truth to the rumour that if you increase the thickness of your grip that it actually helps? I've been suffering for a few years with this and tried all sorts of supports and gels and what not. The only real thing that helped was a heavier racquet!

3. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    A HEAVIER racket helped elbow problems??? Thats surprising, I would have thought the exact opposite...I have no idea about the grip thickness, I've never even heard the theory before...

4. eyky1618

eyky1618 Regular Member

Regading the elbow guard and emulgel...it works. But i use Dencorub which is HOT!! It's like deep heat. And it helps.

I would beg to differ on using the heavier racket, i think it actually aggravates the injury instead of helping the cause. I have 2 Arc10, 1 2u and the other 3u. WHen I am using the 3U, it works like a charm. But when I use the 2U, my elbow hurts like hell...and that happens within 5 minutes of the game and eventually when the 2nd match begins...I cant even lift my elbow!!

The Sonic Relief thing....it works eh? Is it a machine where it emits sonic wave of some sort which is tingly and warm when you run it over the skin?

Thanks!

5. sudirman

sudirman Regular Member

Yes a heavier racket + lower tension + thick PU grip = relief, don't ask me why.

6. Areku????

Areku???? Regular Member

enough to survive
    Guys check this out!! i recently saw a video on youtube that teaches how to treat tennis elbow.I've tried it and guess what? it did work!! just type 'how to treat tennis elbow' and search.just give it a try. we have nothing to lose..good luck to ya'll!! PEACE:)

7. LithgaeStu

LithgaeStu New Member

Here's something worth thinking about. I had tennis elbow for about a year and a half. I tried the whole shooting match, creams, bandages, supports, physio, you name it, I tried it. Nothing worked. Then, to cut a long story short, I started using my mouse with my left hand (I work in IT and use a PC for a minimum of 8 hrs every day). It took me about a week to two weeks to become as good left as I was right, during which time I didn't use my right arm for *anything*. Since then, the pain gradually lessened and disappeared entirely about a year ago. I play about two or three times a week totally pain free. I figure that the very low level, but constant strain on the tendons of my right arm caused by using a mouse so much was causing the arm never to heal from the initial injury. My g/f had a similar shoulder problem which went on for months. She finally listened to what I said about her PC set up and mouse position, started using her left hand and within a couple of days the problem was gone.

8. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Sometimes what you think is tennis elbow is actually something completely different and yet the symptoms are the same. This is where the pain is "referred" from other areas like the neck or shoulder.

As with any injury you need to treat it right. Certainly rest is useful to allow some repair. After this here's what i would do...

1) increase grip size until you find what works for you
    2) reduce your string tension. From reading on this forum and others, players overall are stringing their racquets far too tight for their standard. Put your ego aside. If you're an intermediate club/league standard, having a racquet strung at 25-30lbs is causing damage to your body because you are not playing at the level where you "middle" the hit consistently enough. Lower your tensions gradually by no more than 2lbs until you find a happy medium.
    3) if you play with plastic shuttles, try feathers. Plastic shuttles combined with high tensions have caused more injuries in players than anything else.

Hope this helps

9. tucked

tucked Regular Member

Application Engineer
    LithgaeStu :
    I kinda agree with you on the mouse as i totally suspect that beside badminton, I am using the mouse way too much. I use the mouse more than 12 hrs a day on average. But i play with a heavy head racket, thin grip with only overgrip on.

Trying the massages, stretches and strapping the forearm near the elbow. It helps abit but it is still there. I will start to stretch and massage every now and then not only for sports but at work when using the mouse!!!

10. Jestin

Jestin Regular Member

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I have been suffering since Monday with severe elbow pains, it is way too sore to clear or even smash the shuttle, so I have had to resort to playing ngled drop shots. On Friday I was playing doubles with my AT900t (4u) and found that when waiting to recieve serve, my arm was struggling to hold the racket.
    I am presuming this is tennis elbow, any ideas as too how to cure the pain quickly (within a week or two) I don't want to stop playing, and I have tournaments coming up within the next month, that I want to be injury free from.
    Also does the arm supports work ?

12. speedray

speedray Regular Member

Bank
    It work to have the arm support as I also using it

13. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I will invest in arm support soon, till then I will use my osgood schlatters support on my elbow, should give me some support

14. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

I had the same problem about January/February 09. It was after I fractured my wrist in a nasty on-court experience, I hadn't played in about 2 months and came back into the sport much too intensely. I also believe some of my technique in my arm stroke had gotten a little sloppy, anyway I had a painful elbow joint for about half a month. Best treatment I found for it was some prescribed Ibruprofen cream to rub on the joint about 20 minutes before play. Still use it now when I get aches and pains. Second treatment was obviously to clear up that technique issue, actually, I've found a lot of my team-mates having the same issue with it. Most people I see tend to miss the possible stroke errors when diagnosing joint pain (from my experiences anyway!).

15. alexh

alexh Regular Member

You need to take this seriously. The longer you wait before getting proper treatment, the more damage you're doing to the tendon in your arm, and the longer it will take to recover. If you don't rest now, you might find later that you have to stop playing for several months.

My suggestion is to find a good physiotherapist who knows something about sports medicine. Go to your doctor and ask them to recommend someone. And don't pick up a racquet again until you've seen a medical professional and asked their advice.

Good luck with this, let us know how it goes.

16. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Well I have rested it since Friday and am planning on playing tomorrow with the intention to see the doctor on Thursday

17. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

Its better you keep from playing until properly diagnosed. maybe you wont feel any pain, or it wont be as bad, but that is only a temporary solution. Chances are playing tomorrow will aggravate it, or even escalate the problems you have. Losing 2 weeks may seem bad, but, seeing as you want to play in that tournament, you should think about total rest.

18. orionoreo

orionoreo Regular Member

i'm suffering from the tennis elbow too.. stretching exercises shown earlier and some forearm lifting helps... i couldn't find the micosamine the guy was talking about earlier though

19. kimdongmoon

kimdongmoon Regular Member

Sales Executive
    Now I use a special dough to train my arm n elbow muscle to rehabilitate my tennis elbow. Of course the right physiotherapist is also important. Feel free to message me as I m willing to share my experience about my tennis elbow injury.

20. Alexch

Alexch Regular Member

try to take supplement called NARCOX, from belgium, can help you to get rid of inflamation real fast, but its not painkiller