Tell me about Zhao Jian Hua

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by belfastnole, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    Everybody knows that human has limit but that is not the point of discussion here.

I already given you a very good comparison in LD and LCW. Today's LD is much quicker than ZJH of the 80s' and today's LCW still able to retrieve his shots. How could LCW be able to do that if not being trained based on today's game requirement?? Simple, direct, period!

On your 100m in 6s, again i would say its not logic to even cite that as a comparison of any sorts in the first place.

2. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

LD's shots are straightforward, all LCW needs to decided is "which side to dive? left or right?". On the other hand, ZJH's shots are much more varied and much harder to read.

I am not sure what you are trying to explain here. LCW is trained based on today's equipments and opponents. So what? There is no player today who can do shots like ZJH (Some of SDK's shots are close to a small fraction of ZJH's shots, but SDK is like 8cm shorter and his skills is less refined). So the logical conclusion is that there is no guarantee that LCW can retrieve ZJH's shots, right?

I am confused... :D:D

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    problem wif ur viewpoint is u have tunnel vision. U see badminton shot variation by its component, and group them as good or bad type of shots, and not by shot & player combination as the whole variation.

same as when i said bcl plays like a woman, u disagree becoz u didn't connect the meanng but only saw the smash speed difference.

4. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

LD shots are straightforward? Are you joking me?:eek::eek::eek::eek: Even the long time badminton commentator (Gail??) said many times she has been watching so closely on LD's smash for years and still couldn't figure out which way the shuttle would end up at.

If SDK is like ZJH he would have trashed LD/LCW and not the other way.

You are just so bias like I said, always ASSUME the past players are more skillful. Please give example of shots that ONLY ZJH can do and not today's player.

Even my girlfriend who are recreational badminton player can tell LD is so so much stronger from the video I show her between ZJH and LD. :rolleyes:

5. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

It's hard to tell whether LD is smashing left or right, but it's kind of easy to tell that he will smash. On the other hand, when ZJH leaps into air, he can do any kind of shots decently.

What I said is some of SDK's shots are similar to some of ZJH's, did I say SDK is like ZJH? SDK is shorter, less skillful, much less confident, much less creative, with worse touch, etc. etc. His attacking is at least one level below ZJH's. Btw, SDK indeed trashed LCW now and then, and can often trash LD in at least one game, right? :D:D

I never assume. My conclusion is drawn from watching more than 10 matches of ZJH and almost every international match of LD/LCW.

6. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I am just pointing out the absurdity by citing some irrefutable data. :D:D

Anyway. Let's say BCL's style is indeed "woman style". Then since he is able to beat everyone else, there is nothing wrong with it, right? :D

You can also say Italian soccer team "does not play like a man". Indeed, whenever other teams lost to Italy, some fans would say that. LOL. :D

7. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hmm
    how many time lcw stand in the right place to return lindan smash in swiss open 2009?:confused:

8. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Did you count 08OG too? LOL

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    so, when u see LD jump, he smash most of the time, so u conclude he can't do other shots? Maybe LD's jumpsmashes are more lethal so he tend to use more of it. It sure seem logical to me. In today's MS, faking a full jump drop shot is not as effective as in the olden days. This shot is used more often in doubles than in singles.

btw, i have seen LD play the drop shot from a full jump before but it's not his main arsenal.

#129 cooler, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  10. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    limsy doesn't have to count because lcw lost in 08og but when he is no more rookie in swiss open 10 i think he counted :D

11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    zhao jianhua used to be my favorite and i have seen him live in a few tournaments. he has great deceptive shots and moves pretty fast in the court for a tall guy like him.

but to compare him with the present top 5 players will be out of the question. even if i am daring to say it can be compared, there would be a good match of course but the winner will definitely from today's players. just look at the training, the number of speed and power players, the competitions ....

12. Aspire

Aspire Regular Member

Manager
    You are jumping from your main discussion point to ...... I dont know where to continue anymore.:confused::)

13. volcom

volcom Regular Member

You mean LCW somehow managed to attend Swiss '10? lol :D

How about the AE09 before Swiss Open 09? :cool::cool::cool:
    I suggest some highlights

14. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    aha! you got sharp eyes and i got one year ahead - should be swiss 09 :cool:

15. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Just watched AE MSF 85. As the winner, ZJH received £2000.

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    air fare from china to & fro birmingham not enough - 2k lbs

17. vntmzn

vntmzn Regular Member

agree, most badminton player, when he launch a stroke, he already decided how he want to execute the shuttle. but zjh, he can change the decision on how he want to execute the shuttle during stroke execution. on his peak condition, no pro badminton player, past or present, can beat him. and no pro badminton player past or present, has this ability

here is an example how he demonstrated the ability, especially on the first set

Justin L and Cheung like this.
  18. Justanotherfan

Justanotherfan New Member

You just replied to post from 10 years ago but thanks for sharing the video, I enjoyed watching zjh playing

vntmzn likes this.
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Indeed, I've always been wondering, had Zhao Jianhua not contracted pneumonia so early in his career, at the young age of 20 while in Calgary, Canada, at the 1985 IBF World Championships which forced him to withdraw from the tournament, I strongly believe he would've been predominant in sweeping victories big and small for several years in a row, and then today most assuredly all of us would still be debating whether he or Super Dan is The GOAT, perhaps a polarizing topic in badminton.

Incidentally, I expressed a similar opinion here about nine years ago, https://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-history-of-zhao-jian-hua.118578/.

Imho, in terms of deception and creativity, Zhao JH was ahead of his time but, unfortunately, his consistency and stamina let him down more often than it should as a result of his impaired lungs caused by pneumonia for which the attending physician actually ruled out competitive badminton for him except that he refused to give up and persevered until the end of his career with somewhat mixed results within an otherwise brilliant performance overall despite his physical constraint for such a physiologically demanding sport. Well, I certainly thought he could have achieved (much) more but that's history.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Let's say, a true legend never dies nor will ever be forgotten.