TC : China vs. Indonesia - pick your lineup.

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by kwun, May 6, 2004.

1. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    hahahaha i don think i use sentences tat ends with loh recently... other than the above "ok loh" :p i don wan my posts to get deleted just because people say they cannot understand :mad: *sarcasm* :p

but anyway i think CHN is stronger in their Singles... whereas INA is stronger in their doubles.... it's really hard to guess who will be the final winner :rolleyes:

#21 HoNgHoNg, May 6, 2004
    Last edited: May 6, 2004
  2. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Assume Taufik is unbeatable in Indonesia, I would pick Lin, Bao and Xia too. Xia has more experience and should have a better chance to beat Simon than Chan Yu. So China should get 2 points from singles.

3. silvia

silvia Regular Member

if china want to win, they have to secured 2 points fr lindan n cai/fu, and get xuanze to play in third single, as chenyu is nt that exprience...taufik can get one point no matter who his opponent is...,.sanyang/zengbo is nt that consistent yet..its really very difficult for them to earn a point especially against indo team in jakarta...

4. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    so true.......
    so better don waste Xuanze playing 2nd.... at least he still can backup for 3rd singles at the crucial point
    n like i've said before.... home team seems to have advantage....
    in chinese it says "tian shi, di li, ren he" (timing, venue n pple).... it's all advantages :rolleyes:

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    If Sony could create the upset by beating Lin Dan, then China will CRUMBLE! :rolleyes:

Lin Dan has recently lost to Bao Chunlai, who in turn lost to relatively 'unknown' Ronald Susilo in the Japan Open. He was made to fight hard by old guard, Peter Gade. So don't ever think Lin Dan is invincible! Especially on Indonesian ground! And his still 'immature' temperament!

Do you think Sony will have a fighting chance against Lin Dan? I would say a definite YES! :)

6. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Both Indonesia and China will fight to win this group to avoid Malaysia and then Denmark and prefer against weak Korea.

============================
    As a "Head Coach or Manager" of China, I will pick :

First single : Lin Dan,
    =>My unbeatable player. Whoever his opponent is, he will win. 1 Point

Second single : Xia Xuan Ze,
    =>For my second single, I don't expect a point.
    I pick Xia over Bao and Chen Hong, because I am sure that my colleague from Indonesia has no choice, only Taufik. Bao and Chen have a bad record against Taufik. And play inconsistent.
    Like I said, I don't expect a point from XIa, but I hope Xia will give me a point to make "thing" easier. 0 Point.

Third single : Chen Yu,
    Whoever the 3rd Indo's player -Simon or Wimpie-, I am optimize that Chen Yu will give me a point. 1 Point

For double, I have not much choice, but this time I have a good double players.
    First double : Cai Yun / Fu Hai Feng
    =>I have no choice, I should pick Cai/Fu. I hope my Indo's colleague line up Luluk/Alven. Even Cai/Fu lost to Luluk/Alven in Korrea Open 2004, but I keep hoping that Cai/Fu can beat Luluk/Alven like in China Open 2003.
    I am really hope that we can take a point from Cai and Fu. 1 Point

Second double : Sang Yang / Zheng Bo
    =>I am sure it will be Flandi/Eng in Indo's side.
    My Indo's colleague will not pick Candra/Tri Kush, too risky.
    If Cai/Fu lost to Luluk/Alven, it will be hard for Sang/Zheng to come up from the pressure. But I always hope that they will paly good enough to beat Flandi/Eng who perform bad in 2004.

So... conclusion is China - Indonesia = 3-2
    2 points from single and 1 point from double.

As a "Head Coach or Manager" of Indonesia, I will pick :

First single : Sony Dwi Kuncoro,
    =>My young gun who has a good performance lately.
    Play in home ground, I hope Sony highly motivate even I hope no point from him, because I am sure China will pick Lin Dan to play against him.
    But If Sony can beat Lin Dan (you never know ;) ), not only the best achievement for him, but also a "good businesss" for our team. 0 point.

Second single : Taufik Hidayat,
    =>Whoever the second single from China -Bao, Chen or Xia-, I am sure that Taufik will gain a point. He is in his peak condition right now after Mulyo back to train him. 1 point.

Third single : Simon Santoso,
    =>I expect no point from him. Bao, Xia or Chen will beat him.
    He is young and has a great future. So, I will give him a chance to get more experiences for the future. 0 Point.

For double, I have choices, but I will not take a risk.
    First double : Luluk Handianto/Alven Yulianto
    =>My best pair at this moment, they play better and better. They also get more confidence and good record this year (win in : Thai Open, Swiss Open and Korea Open and got through to semi final in Japan Open).
    Even their world ranking below Cai/FU, but I am very sure they can beat Chinese pair. I am sure it should be Cai/Fu. 1 Point.

Second double : Flandi Limpele/Eng Hian
    =>They have not a good record this year. But I still count on their experiences. We play at home, they will be highly motivate. With the yelling of our audiances, it will set Sang/Zheng under pressure.
    If this "crash" is played in the 4th party (?), Flandi and Eng will be a winner. Why ? Because Flandi/Eng will play like a hell to set Indonesia to a step forward. Psychological, experience and technique : Flandi and Eng are better than Sang/Zheng. Only they are older and not as strong (power) as their opponent.
    If Sony can get a point from Lin Dan. Their work will be much easier :D .
    1 Point.

So... conclusion is Indonesia - China = 3-2
    1 point from single and 2 points from double.

=======================================

All above there is my prediction. Anything can happen on the courts.

7. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

Sony got thrashed in recent encounters with Lin Dan!!!
    I still do not know why!!! 15-1, 15-3 around that kind of score.
    How come Lin Dan could beat him so easily? i still do not understand.
    I posted this question before in another thread

8. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

My pick for China:
    1st singles:Lin Dan.. mentally strong and currently in top form..
    2nd singles:Xia..Bao tends to get very nervous during important tournaments and he gets frustrated easily... plus he will be playing in front of the "enthusiastic" indonesian supporters.. the atmosphere is a "no-no" for bao.. Chen Hong has a very bad record against Taufik...
    3rd singles: i personally thinks that any of the china players can beat simon.. so chen yu should be able to clinch a point for china...

My pick for indonesia:
    singles:needless to say
    doubles:
    1st double: flandi limpele/eng hian. Luluk/Alven is inexperienced compared to flandi/eng and could probably get very nervous as this is their first outing for the tc..
    2nd double: candra/trikus. Just for the sake of supporting candra... :p

9. Pebulutangkis

Pebulutangkis Regular Member

Student
    if candra/trikus is a scratch pair (unranked), can they put them in as 1st doubles ahead of ranked players? and play either flandy/eng or luluk/alven as 2nd doubles?

another thought... in 2000 we broke our top ranked tony/candra and played tony/rexy & candra/sigit.. i just suspect that we could be having a bluff and maybe partner candra with either luluk/alven and maybe trikus with the other 1? or split up flandy/eng? but if they do this i expect them to do it in the semifinals/finals..

also, i suspect for the first match against USA, we will field sony, taufik, simon, but for the grp match wiht CHN, we might rest either sony/taufik, and simon and wimpie will play 2nd or 3rd...

so i'll predict indo lineup for the grp stage:

vs USA
    s.kuncoro
    f.limpele/e.hian
    t.hidayat
    c.wijaya/t.kusharyanto
    s.santoso

vs CHN
    t.hidayat
    a.yulianto/l.hadiyanto
    s.santoso
    c.wijaya/t.kusharyanto
    w.mahardi

#29 Pebulutangkis, May 7, 2004
    Last edited: May 7, 2004
  10. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

Nope.. Candra/Trikus cant play as the 1st double..

11. A fan

A fan Regular Member

Engineer
    Indonesia line up

No I won't pick Flandy/Eng Hian as the 2nd double as they usually crumble under pressure. I prefer Candra/Tri who have more experience can play together very well. They beat Luluk/Alven during the TC warmup in Jakarta.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. Indonesia may just surprised everybody with two scratch pairs. we will have to see what tricks the INA coaches have in their bags.

there isn't much that China can do anyway. just have to face whoever INA put on the rink...

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    CHN:

Lin
    Cai/Fu
    Xia
    Sang/Zheng
    Chen Yu

INA:

Sony
    ????/???
    Taufik
    ???/???
    Simon

Xia must play against taufik, as he would be the only one (in my opinion) that could frustrate taufik enough to make he crumble mentally. play chen hong, and you might as well not play in my opinion. Chen yu is very good at playing people who are technicall worse than him, and can finish them off quickly, but whenthey are around his level he tendsto struggle. I back Lin to beat sony, as sony relies on his speed, and lin dan is quicker. Also Sony is as eqally inexperienced as sony in TC.

Crucial ties are the three middle ties. I think Cai/fu should win, but honestly think that in doubles the ina pairs in TC are unbeatable. CHN to win the battle, INA to win the war (the cup). cai/fu beat lulluk alven, and chen yu wins decider.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the more you guys say. the more i think Lin/Xia/ChenYu is the better line up.

at least for the group match, it is good to test the water as they know that INA will have exactly the same lineup for the final (if they do meet in the final). if it doesn't work out, it is not the end of the world. but if it does, it will give everybody great confidence boost as they know that they can capture the CUP by singles players alone.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    ;)
    Well I'm sure you have come across a score of 15-0 even at the highest level. I think Ronald Susilo gave that to Shon of Korea during their third game at the Japan Open! I think Shon ran out of gas.

True, it all boils down to FORM at that crucial moment in time. And from what I've seen during the recent ABC, Sony is in great form and with the Indonesian supporters behind him, this can really do wonders! The Indonesian players seem to be peaking at the right time for the TC!

I tried to check out the head-to-head encounters between Sony and Lin Dan and it is true that Sony wasat the receiving end having lost to Lin during this year's AE (QF) 10-15, 1-15 and Japan Open (QF) 9-15, 1-15, both matches at quite similar scores, with Sony seemingly giving away the second game.

During the Swiss Open, Sony managed to beat two highly ranked Chinese players, Xia Xuanze 15-10, 4-15,, 15-2 (R2)) and Chen Hong 9-15, 15-2, 15-4 (QF). But he lost to Bao Chunlai 15-11, 3-15, 11-15 who in turn lost to Lin Dan 12-15, 6-15 in the Final.

Another example of inconsistent form can be gauged from the recent performances of Korean no. 1, Lee Hyun-il. During the German Open, Lee beat Bao 15-10, 15-5 (SF) and Lin 15-4, 15-4 (F) but lost to Bao in the Swiss Open 6-15, 4-15 (QF). Lee has since been rather unsuccessful in subsequent tournaments and he may well be the weak link for the Korean team in the TC. On the other hand, compatriot Park Tae Sang, who will most likely be playing 3rd singles, is currently in terrific form!

The spotlight is now on China's no. 1, Lin and whether he can reproduce his fantastic form of late last year and early this year. The Japan Open brought him down to earth with his loss of 13-15, 9-15 to teammate Bao in the SF.

Form is a rather tricky fellow. It comes and goes rather quickly but a failing form can suddently come alive and become rejuvenated with tremendous ground support. Herein lies the great strength of the Indonesian supporters. And Sony will certainly benefit from this. You have to be at Bung Karno Indoor Stadium to experience and believe it! ;) :) :p

16. ant0niu588

ant0niu588 Regular Member

Student
    For me... I think ill choose the following for Indonesia.
    1st single- Sony Dwi Kuncoro (he's the captain of the team, he should lead d way. Although it may be difficult beating the chinese single)
    1st Double- Alven/ Luluk (Best double)
    2nd Single- Taufik Hidayat (He can beat the chinese player. His head to head with Chen Hong is 5-0!!!)
    2nd Double- Candra/trikus (surprise for chinese player)
    3rd single- Simon or whimpie

China:
    1st single- Lindan
    1st double - cai/fu
    2nd single Chen Hong
    2nd double - Zheng/sang
    3rd single-Bao ChunLai

The match is tomorrow!!! Any of u noe which tv in sgp/malaysia show this match. (not cable)

17. Joel_y

Joel_y Regular Member

For China team, MS1 and MD1 and MD2 are fixed for CHN-INA match.
    And For INA team, MS1 and MS2 are fixed: Sony and Taufik.

For China, strategies changes could be MS2 and MS3. Since Chen Hong is 0:5 against Taufik, he is out. Then, the options can only be(given Chen Yu is the weakest):
    1. MS2 Bao, MS3 Xia;
    or
    2. MS2 Xia, MS3 Chen Yu.

Play in INA, I believe few can beat Taufik, maybe only Lin Dan, but Lin can not play Taufik because Lin's rank is No1, he can not play No.2 in the INA team, unless INA would put Taufik to play MS1 which is basically suicidal for INA.

Xia has record 2:3 against Taufik, in all non INA locations. while Bao is 2:2, though lost badly in INA open to Taufik. If I were China team manager, I would field option 1: Bao ChunLai/Xiaxuanze, for in case things boil down to 2:2 level,
    Chn is almost guarantee to win with Xia vs Simon, this simple fact actually could put more pressure on INA players, IE, they have to win within first 4 events, and assuming Lin Dan delivers, that means INA has to win MS2, and 2 MDs consectively, the chance would be slim given strong CHN MD pairs.(China actually got this year's INA open MD champion)

Another benefit for such option would be: Bao ChunLai need to be put on those tough situations so his mental power can grow and be strong, for the long run such as 2008 Beijing games, it is beneficial for China.

Option 2 is not good, as Xia can only have as much chance to beat Taufik as Bao, maybe slightly more, but Chen Yu is a big undecide factor, overall the chance would be smaller.

China:
    MS1 - Lin Dan 75%
    MD1 - Cai/Fu 51%
    MS2 - Bao ChunLai 45%
    MD2 - Zheng/Sang 45%
    MS3 - Xia XuanZe 90%

INA:
    MS1 - Sony
    MD1 - Alvin/Luluk
    MS2 - Taufik
    MD2 - Flandy/Eng Hian
    MS3 - Simon

Overall, the result could be 3:2 CHN win MS1, MD1 and MS3.

18. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    So is it not possible to play Simon or Wimpie ahead of Sony?
    I think if Indo can play any singles in any order, then they would have a chance to win 2 of the 3 singles by throwing the first singles away and have Taufik and Sony play 2nd and 3rd Singles.

19. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

No it ain't, haven't we been through this enough times on several threads?

20. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

I reckon INA will try to manoeuvre to take 1 singles & then bank on their doubles to deliver. In that sense, I will have INA will go the singles straight up, whilst fielding Flandy/Eng Hian and Candra/Trikus. I like Flandy/Eng Hian chances against Cai/Fu then Alvin/Luluk, and like Candra/Trikus chances better against Sang/Zheng. Singles, I don't see how CHN will gamble and not to let Xia play 3rd. It will be illogical to played Chen Yu...So I see either Sony will do a upset on 1st singles (Hey...it is possible.) or my boy Taufik to deliever 2nd singles. :D :D

INA 3 CHN 2

Approx 12+ hours before they start... :)

#40 wwcbro, May 9, 2004
    Last edited: May 9, 2004