Taufik Hidayat vs Simon Santoso in Malaysia Open 2011

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2011' started by Loh, Feb 1, 2011.

1. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Taufik is not interested in badminton so much right now.

He has a family now and usually plays just for fun. He has had a long career since reaching the all-england final in 1999...

#21 julianng, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    LOL! You want to ask that to Taufik personally, maybe? :D

More serious answer: Taufik knows that he is half a step slower when those guys are in good physical condition, so there's no point extending himself and risking an injury (he is after all, nearing his pensionable age :D) but it would be a mistake to think he is not serious about the game. Ask any of the players who end up losing to him in almost every tournament. He is almost always in the semis, if not the finals. That statistic should tell you he is still good enough to "whip" most other players "like a little kid." :D

#22 cobalt, Feb 3, 2011
  3. laonong

laonong Regular Member

I think he's enjoying badminton now.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I would think Taufik will be trying his hardest to win the AE

Because TH has never won AE, I would think TH will be trying his hardest to win it one time; Just like what LCW did in 2010.

If TH is not selected by PBSI to enter the AE, I hope the AE organisers would accept TH's entry as an independent professional player from Indonesia.

5. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Yea me too.

I hope Taufik can get back to his best and teach Lin Dan a lesson in the all-england this year.

In the Korean Open, he showed his class in the 2nd set by winning 21-8 against Lin Dan but just didn't have enough stamina for the rubber set.

6. laonong

laonong Regular Member

Sounds mission impossible.

It's almost impossible for anyone except LCW to beat LD these days.

Stamina is an excuse.

7. julianng

julianng Regular Member

It doesn't work that way. LCW doesn't have the mental edge to win over LD like TH.

I believe if anybody is going to beat LD in major tournaments it's going to be TH.

Also TH's game is sort of anti- Lin Dan and LD's game is sort of anti-LCW.

It's like rock-scissors-paper. TH > LD > LCW > TH > LD ... and so on....

8. laonong

laonong Regular Member

Base on what you think TH>LD? statistics? or just your belief? Since 2006 AG, TH never beat LD, not even close if you check the score. Only LCW can beat LD once in a while. And LCW can beat TH easily. LCW and LD improved a lot. And TH post 2006 is much worse than TH 2004-2006.

9. julianng

julianng Regular Member

LCW only beat LD in SS tournaments. Based on statistics, LCW usually does well in SS tournaments. However, LCW has never beat LD in major tournaments outside of Super Series. TC , SC are also not that important of a tournament.

On the other hand, TH has the ability to come up good against LD in important tournaments like WC,AG, OG etc....
    IT's easy for you to say TH post 2006 is worse than LD, because TH and LD hardly meet outside of SS tournaments post 2006 time....

Also, TH post 2006 is much better now as opposed to what you said. TH is more consistent. TH is ranked number 2 in the world now.
    In 2006, during AG when TH beat LD, TH was only ranked number 10 in the world.
    So it doesn't matter what your ranking is, it's the players mental and psychological advantage he has in the game over his opponents.

TH is known for doing well against LD in major tournaments, not LCW.

#29 julianng, Feb 3, 2011
  10. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Well, if those guys cannot beat a "nothing to prove" TH, there is no point sending them...

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Uhhh, fact is, TH has been losing regularly to LD everywhere they meet, for a while now. Including all TC games. :(
    LD has improved greatly from the player he was in 2001-2006, his courtcraft, coverage, upright stance, speed, interception, everything has improved. Taufik OTOH, had degenerated for quite a while, and he never has reached the peak of his powers since 2005 and some part of 2006. I wish I could say differently, but this is the sad truth. :(

Yet, Taufik is better than at least 95% others out there! He is still fit and fighting, but I wish YY would allow him to use the AT700 again! So, anything is possible: even a win against LD again! :D

12. laonong

laonong Regular Member

I did not mention ranking. Ranking world number 1 do means a lot. Maybe more difficult to win olympic gold. LCW just has bad luck to have to face LD .

LD beat TH 2 times in 2006 AG.

I think they met more than 6 times after 2006 AG. At least I remember they met three times since last year since I watched three games between them. And TH is one level below LD and LCW.

13. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I agree on this. From technical/tactical point of view its more possible for TH or SS to beat LD recent style. In KO, it is clear that TH and SS technical play makes it harder for LD control the game. I still think that SS should have won that SF match, he matched LD style in every departments. Then the next day I watched the final LCW v LD, Im not quite sure how/why but LD clearly anticipate LCW well in all area and i did not see many times where LCW surprise him (apart from LD looking tired at the end of 2nd game, which LCW could not kill on the 3rd). I think this is due to LCW style more than his mental toughness, LCW seems to hold his shots too long and his deceptive shots were all well read by LD.

Dont get me wrong, LCW is a great player no doubt about that. He just seems unable to beat LD in the important matches.

That said I also agree TH is now 1 level below LCW and LD, for whatever reason it is (there always be things behind which not possible for us to know). But I believe if TH is 100% he will beat anyone in the world (even the 100% LD), that in contrast to LCW at 100% may not even beat LD at 100%.

But ATM, I have no hope whatsoever on TH. I think PBSI should concentrate on 3 MS players (SDK, SS and Hayom) and let time decide whether these 3 are worthy enough for London OG, if they are still not good enough then I think there is nothing wrong for TH to have another go.

#33 Yoppy, Feb 3, 2011
  14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Of course a country should send it's best athletes to compete in London Olympics 2012.

As for INA I suppose it is no different, for winning an Olympic gold medal, especially in badminton again, can bring immense joy to the people and unify them further as a nation.

Question now is who to send for Men's Singles - TH, Sony, SS or Hayom?

It seems early days yet since the LO is still slightly more than a year away. But time flies and before we know it LO will be telecast on TV the world over. It seems not too long ago when the IOC met in Singapore to decide on London as the next Olympic host.

I believe the LO ticket sales will start next month and this gives an inkling of the urgency that countries should not waste more preparation time.

So INA should seriously identify who are the likely MS players that can best represent the country based on current form and world ranking.

Those who have not much chance to improve their already low rankings and others who are seriously injured that can take months to recover should be left out.

Who do you think in the INA MS Team can fit the bill and why?

15. wilcan

wilcan Regular Member

student
    come on chris,you know the rules, PBSI can't hold TH to go to AE(if qualified)..AE is a Premier Super Series Level tourney not the A class BWF tourney(as i remember OG,TUC,SC are mention as A class tourney) PBSI can only select players for OG,AG,TUC,SC
    yes I believe TH will try his very very best to win the All England
    remember last year AE, TH showing his fierce face after losing his QF game against Peter Gade(in the crucial point,line man made a very close call against TH,IMO it was an point for TH)

yes there is a big point sending them
    Simon cause LD more exhausted then TH do in Korea(bigger threat than TH did)
    In many occasions TH always said he is now playing for "fun", enjoying the game, to delight baddy fans, already old it should been time for others to replace/represent INA

it's still long time enough for 3 others to prove himself, yes if they still not good enough or maybe not qualified and TH still in form and qualified, there is nothing wrong for TH to ahve another go

above is my own opinion no offense ;);)

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Don't forget Tommy S....

17. wilcan

wilcan Regular Member

student
    if u want to add Tommy Sugiarto, you should add Alam Yunus too ;);)

18. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Yes I believe a 100 % TH will beat anyone in the world too.

His style of play troubles Lin Dan more than LCW. LCW needs to work so hard to get any power on his shots and use many deceptive shots just to equal LD's whereas TH doesn't need to use many deceptive shots against LD as his natural game play already makes it so hard for LD to intercept (i.e. his strong forehand, backhand, smash, and the many impossible netshots that LD could not return). That is why he put up a better fight than LCW against LD in the Korea Open, getting the 2nd set quite comfortably 21-8 whereas the other sets(1st and 3rd) being rather close.

19. wilcan

wilcan Regular Member

student
    I am TH fans too
    you should be his big fans
    did u watch the match between LD vs TH and LD vs LCW?

20. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

For me its simple, since TH is an independent so lets forget about him (TH can train the way he knows best to get his best), PBSI should concentrate on SDK SS Hayom and maybe Tommy. If this plan does not go as well, then TH is always there to fill in.