Taufik decided not to participate in All England

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by sugar_free, Feb 26, 2007.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-Hehe...sure..

...but, IMO, he SHOULD EARN it...don't you agree??..:p :D ;)

2. markhamplayer

markhamplayer Regular Member

It is too bad that PBSI has only one good player like Taufik who can produce therefore PBSI better "begs" him to play the AE otherwise everybody lose.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    to TH's eyes, the money was the appearance bonus at papua. Since he obeyed pbsi, TH feel that pbsi 'stole' or denied him the easy money that other team players got for showing up at papua.

#123 cooler, Feb 28, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-Hmm..each parties want their "piece of the pie"..

...actually what's happening is exactly what's been brought up in earlier posts in this thread(ie. brought up by jkusmanto and to an extent to what i've chimed in before in my older posts). In a way, it goes both ways. It's PBSI's own doing as well as the attitude of the players. And it goes back to one simple root of: money...:p ;)

#124 ctjcad, Feb 28, 2007
  5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

which in turns fostered and nurtured by decades of suharto regime.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

beat you:p
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36259&page=2&highlight=pbsi+loves+money see post #18 :D

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-True...

...but also somewhat political..and it doesn't only apply to PBSI/badminton, but to other sports in INA...The financial struggle in INA's sports has been the same, even from Suharto's eras..:p ;)

#127 ctjcad, Feb 28, 2007
  8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

#128 ctjcad, Feb 28, 2007
  9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

nah, no bookmark links. I try to remember all my 11,000+ posts. I am accountable for what i write, right?;)

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Hoping that Taufik Hidayat could change the course of Badminton

Greetings,

This is what I am hoping for... just like for professional players in Soccer, Tennis, Basketball, etc...

Great Brazilians Soccer players play for European Clubs, but when it comes to the World Cup Soccer, they play for Brazil.

Great Tennis players based themselves in countries other than their own, but when it comes to the Davis Cup they play for their home countries, not the countries that they are based in.

A great Chinese player plays for a USA Club, but when it comes to the Olympics Games, he will play for China.

Why can't professional Badminton players do the same ??? :):):)

IMHO, Taufik should base himself elsewhere (because of too much politics in PBSI), but when it comes to the Thomas Cup, the Sudirman Cup, the Olympics, the Asian Games, etc... then Taufik should play for Indonesia.

Cheers... chris@ccc

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    TH has to tread his ground carefully.

1. By confronting and leaving PBSI, he may not have a chance to represent the country. He will lose his allowance and other monetary benefits, etc.

2. TH will then not have a chance to achieve what he wants in world badminton and he will not be in the international limelight and continue to be a glamour boy anymore.

3. I believe BWF Super Series are meant for players who are approved by their respective countries' national associations (like PBSI) which are members of BWF. KLRC is not a BWF member, but of course it can recommend its players to BAM, as it has done so in the past, who will make the final decision.

4. If TH is unable to participate in the SS, he will lose ranking points and may not even be featured in the WC and Beijing Olympics. He will also miss the chance to earn good prize money, which a professional needs to supplement his income if he is lucky enough to have generous sponsors (like KLRC) and commercial endorsements. But such incentives are double-edged swords in that a professional needs to be good and popular to be of any use to sponsors and the corporations who support him/her.

5. PBSI can certainly make it difficult for TH to play for any club or country by demanding a huge Transfer Fee, as it did when TH wanted to play for Singapore years ago. As in soccer, the world body may rule that without a Transfer Certificate from the national association, a player cannot continue to play professionally! :(

So TH must be very careful not to create more problems for himself!

12. indra

indra Regular Member

If Taufik leaves Pelatnas

IF Taufik leaves Pelatnas, It is most likely that he will not represent Ina.
    I doubt if he is interested in representing the Ina team unless PBSI fulfills what he wants ...Of course, what he wants now will be different from what he will want in the future, this is only IF.

That is typical of him:D . Very, very interesting and exciting!!!!

I guess he is leaving Pelatnas soon....it is only a matter of time.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-Some interesting points..

..some interesting points, but i guess your question(in blue) is the bottom line.
    I know this is probably more appropriate to be discussed in your thread, ideally speaking, yes, i can concur. But, IMO, badminton as a whole hasn't garnered the same amt of accolades and "wealth" as those other sports you've mentioned.
    Further, we must consider that all those athletes, in those sports you've mentioned, who play in other countries & leagues are getting paid quite handsomely. Reality is, we can't say the same with badminton. Even if the players decide to play overseas instead of their own countries. The question now is, what country(ies) can afford the same in badminton??..
    Thus i totally agree on the statement i've highlighted in bold, which i and a few others have mentioned a few times before. Logically speaking, what other country can afford and at the same time market these athletes like never before. Of course, the image of badminton, IMO, has to change first and foremost, esp. if it wants to gain any purpose in U.S.
    Anyways, i think i've pushed this post/discussion, off-topic. Perhaps we can discuss this in your other thread, chris@ccc. The one abt "Badminton becoming Professional sport??"..;)

#133 ctjcad, Feb 28, 2007
  14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-Some interesting points, as well..

..interesting points, Loh, and somewhat concur on points #1, #2, #4 & #5. However on point #3, how do we explain players like Candra, Sigit, Eng Hian and other INA players who are no longer part of INA National squad but are still competing in these SS tourneys, by playing independently? Are those players, like you wrote, still being "recognized" by PBSI??..:confused: :rolleyes: ;)
    Perhaps, Taufik can go the "Tony Gunawan route". Go play overseas and hope one day PBSI will come crawling back and ask him to play again for their national team....Taufik will become "The Most Wanted-For-Hire MS Player In The World"..:rolleyes::p:D;)

#134 ctjcad, Feb 28, 2007
  15. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    I don't suffer from Taufik's decision not to play All England, dissapointed maybe but I don't suffer. I doubt you and other Taufik fans are suffering. On the other hand, Taufik is missing out on the potential prize money as well as a possible All England title. Taufik suffers!

16. indra

indra Regular Member

Taufik is laughing:D . He is fine. He does not suffer at all. He just needs to revise his life priority...He is fully aware of what he is doing and prepared to shoulder all consequences that might arise out of his action. He is very well prepared for that.

17. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    You are speaking from personal knowledge or simply making baseless assumptions or even speculating?

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, I believe they have the blessings of PBSI but not necessarily financial support. They probably would have to make their own financial arrangements.

In Candra's case, I think he is not under the PBSI umbrella. He probably needs approval from the US authorities only.

Badminton Professionals turning independent

I agree with many of your views on your reply to chris@ccc principally the following:

1. Unlikely that badminton professionals follow the path of soccer or tennis professionals in the foreseeable future.

2. As you've said, badminton professionals are like "third world" poor cousins compared to their "first world" counterparts as far as financial rewards are concerned. So despite the significant progress in prize monies offered under the new SS scheme, badminton still has a long, long way to go.

3. Without adequate remuneration to start off with, how can badminton professionals be independent financially to engage their own coaches, to travel extensively to all corners of the earth for competitions or to pick and choose which tournament they like to participate in?

4. Yes, the older professionals would want their own training programme and schedule that are tailor-made to their physical and mental condition and would refrain from the common centralized training more suited for the young professionals who are physically fitter to take on tougher training will little rest in between. But it again boils down to money - do they have enough of this to be able to comply with their needs and demands?

5. Soccer, golf and Tennis professionals are highly paid, especially for the stars, that many can afford the above personal services and have much reserves left to invest in properties, equities and other financial instruments for their future and retirement. Some are so weathy that they could give back to public in the form of charities and endowments. These stars are equated to the likes of TH, LD, PG, CH and others in badminton for their skills, except that they are paid many, many, times more. Miserable, isn't it for badminton!

So BWF and Mr Gunalan will need to find a real solid Punch to KO all the others and remain standing independent in the ring. :D

#138 Loh, Feb 28, 2007
  19. ronnie14

ronnie14 Regular Member

ngenge..owh bad news huh..i want to see taufik play! those powerful backhand smashes...aaaaa...

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-Hmm, can anyone else confirm these...

...Loh, i would love to believe & agree with you on these 2, but i don't know. On the first topic, perhaps another INA-based BC member can confirm this for us, as to how the technicalities or procedures go about their qualifications in playing in Open tourneys.
    Do those non-Pelatnas players, who are competing in these SS tourneys still get the blessing from PBSI?? Are they still somewhat "connected" with PBSI/Pelatnas?? If so, in what way(s)??..:confused:
    On Candra's status, personally i don't have any "proof" on whether Candra is playing under USAB's approval or not; but, as far as i know, only Tony is playing under USAB. Perhaps someone familiar with Candra's status can verify this for us...:cool:
    *Loh, i'm not commenting on your other points, cos i think we've seen and read thru them, enough times..And they're better to be discussed in chris@ccc's thread..hehe:p:D;)

#140 ctjcad, Feb 28, 2007