Tai Tzu Ying ( 戴資穎 )

Discussion in 'Chinese Taipei Professional Players' started by limsy, Jun 19, 2010.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I wonder if TTY regrets not playing the WC in 2017, instead opting to play at the Universaide, despite the fact that many of her Taiwan teammates decided to play at the WC and not the Universaide. While she did win the Asia Games, she has never won the WC or Olympics.

It seems in 2017 that TTY was confident she could win a WC later because she was so far ahead of other players in skill, so she chose to play the Universaide over the WC in 2017. The problem is, when time advances, she may not be the best player in the world.

The moral of the story is, you win what you can now. Injury may end your career suddenly. Or another player may ascend the throne and supplant you (CYF). If TTY remains healthy, she still has a very good chance to win the WC this year. But a lot of pressure would have been taken off of her if she had won the WC back in 2017 instead of going to the Universaide.

visor likes this.
  2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    If you observe tty character and attitude. Its a bit slack in the beginning always.

A lot of publicity and marketing on fb as well. Its her bread and butter I guess. Of course GLY is more vain and better in this department. Lol

She just need to buck up on 0-0. Its her own fault. She just have to screw herself up big time. ;) Karma perhaps? Need to go temple more. Lol

luvdevilangel likes this.
  3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What the hell kinda bs is that...?! "She fell behind in the match, she must not PRAY enough" holy smokes that has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read on here and I've seen someone argue that player A is better than B because they won 1 more title, disregarding all other context.

4. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

According to that logic LD must have been secretely living in a temple (or church?);)

Nine Tailed Fox and samkool like this.
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Maybe that was his secret. He lived in a temple, only commuting to the training centre and LCW foolishly thought it's training that gets you better at sports when he just should've been PRAYING instead

Nine Tailed Fox and Woesi like this.
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Everybody has to make choices in life. She chose the Universiade and so far, she has never publicly expressed any regrets for making that decision. Everything around that is is irrelevant babbling and repeating endless cycles of what-ifs. While we are at it - what if she had chosen the WC and would have crashed out in QF or even earlier? All it takes is one bad day, and that's it.

From what I've heard from people born and raised in Taiwan, her decision for the Universiade has been a big part of why she has become that national hero that she is now. And looking at her future life after professional badminton, this will pay off multiple times, even compared to a WC title.

7. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

And some Taiwanese I have talked to that play badminton think that the Universaide means very little so I am getting the different reactions from Taiwanese than you are. However, WC means a lot more to the Taiwanese I have talked to. And the Taiwanese that I talked to said it was right for the other Taiwan players to play in the WC in 2017 and they were wondering why TTY didn't follow the other Taiwan national players that played in the WC in 2017.

Don't forget that winning the WC in 2017 would have taken a lot of pressure off of her when participating in future WCs. Also, winning the WC in 2017 may have even taken some pressure off of her this Olympics.

Now TTY has to hope CYF or another player doesn't get better by the WC this year. For example, if CYF improves even more and meets TTY, that could spell trouble for TTY at this WC (if CYF is eliminated by another player at the WC, that would be good for TTY).

You get the most prestigious titles that you can, while it's possible. Viktor has never beaten Momota. However, Viktor finally won the WC the year that Momota was out so Viktor made the best of his chances. Who knows if Carolina Marin can come back to play at the very top level but if Carolina Marin does not return to the highest level of badminton again, Carolina Marin made the most of her time to win the titles she could.

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

And yesterday he was asking me to get my head examined :D

How could you comprehend a single word in that post is beyond me :D.. " Stuck on O-O " :D:D:eek:

9. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

But... who are those Taiwanese you are referring to anyway?! TTY could not care less about what a few folks think and she is not trying to content all Taiwanese citizens. She already mentioned in interviews she is not after records and that it meant a lot for her to play the Universiade at home in front of her Grandma. Besides, as much as I agree with you, somehow, you are basing this thinking on her winning the WC 2017 but nothing guarantee that. If she does not regret it then... problem solved.

samkool likes this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You are repeating yourself. I get the point that you are trying to make. Problem is, that it’s always so easy to be all the wiser in retrospective. Also, don’t forget that a WC title wouldn’t have been a safe bet either.

Besides, I have a gut feeling that we will not be seeing TTY in another WC. I hope I’m wrong, but again, everybody has to make their own choices in life. So let’s see what happens.

#1490 s_mair, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  11. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Are you aware that that many of the Taiwan national team members decided to participate in the 2017 WC over the Universaide? Go check the player list here: https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/players.aspx?id=4A6A351C-463C-4229-8233-F7459FAD92B5

Even CTC participated in the 2017 WC over Universaide! If the Unviersaide mattered that much to Taiwan players, why did so many Taiwan players participate in the 2017 WC?

Justin L likes this.
  12. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Tai's Facebook post:

第三度踏上這個夢想中的舞台,終於闖進了決賽,但無法站在最高的頒獎台上,總是有那麼一點遺憾,但不完美總是存在著,才有動力去追求更好的結果。
    或許我不會再有一次參加奧運的機會,但這個目標我也算達成了,只是不這麼完美。
    我只想告訴自己:戴資穎,妳很棒!
    謝謝所有支持我的你們,結果總是很殘酷,也只能接受,但我盡力了。
    謝謝所有在這段期間給予我們幫忙的人,謝謝在日本的代表處,派了秘書在飯店幫我們處理各種問題。
    謝謝我的團隊們,在疫情期間一起不能回家,長時間的訓練。
    謝謝所有一切的一切[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    分享一個小故事,比完賽下來之後,我本來對自己的表現還算滿意,後來辛度跑過來抱著我,捧著我的臉,告訴我:我知道妳很難受,妳已經表現的很好,只是今天不是妳的局。
    然後把我擁在懷裡說:她都知道。
    那種真誠的鼓勵,害我直接爆哭…..
    真的太難過了,因為真的很努力了。
    再次感謝大家的支持與鼓勵。
    謝謝你們一起陪我走到現在。

Google Translate:

I stepped on this dream stage for the third time, and finally made it to the finals, but I couldn’t stand on the highest podium. There is always a little regret, but imperfections always exist, so I have the motivation to pursue better. result.
    Maybe I won't have another chance to participate in the Olympics, but I have achieved this goal, but it is not so perfect.
    I just want to tell myself: Dai Ziying, you are great!
    Thank you all for supporting me. The result is always cruel and I can only accept it, but I tried my best.
    Thank you to everyone who helped us during this period. Thank you to the representative office in Japan who sent a secretary in the hotel to help us with various issues.
    Thank you to my team. During the epidemic, we can't go home together and train for a long time.
    Thank you for everything ❤️❤️❤️
    Share a little story. After the match, I was satisfied with my performance. Later, Sindhu ran over to hold me, held my face, and told me: I know you are uncomfortable, and you have been very good. Okay, but today is not your game.
    Then he held me in his arms and said: She knows all about it.
    That kind of sincere encouragement made me cry directly...
    It's really sad because I really worked hard.

Thank you again for your support and encouragement.
    Thank you for walking with me till now.

Sindhu is such a sweet heart.

Ballschubser, visor, samkool and 4 others like this.
  13. Iwan Pandin

Iwan Pandin Regular Member

TTY had her own reason to chose Universiade. She chose what she thought the best for her life. So who are we to judge what best for her? As a fan, we can only support her and hope for the best for her.

samkool, LenaicM and s_mair like this.
  14. extremenanopowe

Tsk tsk tsk.. i am a fan of tty too. Too bad. Its not her day.

Some are just too serious here. Im so scared... wakaka. ;) my tenure here in bc has seen lots of dissapointed fans dropped out when their favourite player retires.

Lets hope tty stays. I doubt. Too much pressure. She is better off in fb publicity. ;)

Oh. Did you know lindan is a christian? He sure prays more than lcw. Wakaka. Just joking. Cheer up guys. Win some lose some.

Its a game. No one can win forever no matter how big you are as a fan. Its not the end of the world. No one wins an argument. Especially with a wife. Kekeke.

Just enjoy the forum for chit chat. You wont be here if you are godlike. ;)

#1494 extremenanopowe, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And here are the pictures from the same post:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Link to original FB post:

16. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I am aware thank you for the list... but again, she chose what she thought was more important for her. Not other Taiwanese athletes, not CTC, nor us. I also would have somehow preferred to see her get another chance at a WC title. Ok, that's what we think or believe is best but she also has the right to decide what is actually best for herself and her career.

The whole point is she definitely knew she would miss out on a chance of participating in a major tournament but if she made this choice, it meant enough for her to justify it.

Iwan Pandin and s_mair like this.
  17. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

She did try her best and she lost to an amazing player, no regrets. A silver medal is one marvelous achievement anyway! Just participating is already one. I think the final was just amazing.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Ah TTY reverted back to her errors gifting away points. Being 7 points behind in G3 the writing was already on the wall. Props to CYF who is probably the only WS player who can keep the rally going on and on and grinding down TTY to make mistakes.

TTY being 27 now, will most likely call it a day as she had implied a few times now that she's been on the circuit for over 11 yrs. When that happens, we will miss all those wonderful deceptive and creative plays that are her hallmark.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Cheung likes this.
  19. extremenanopowe

Its already a bad sign when you see her smashing many outside shots on g1. Shes not comfortable and panicky already. ;)

Happy retirement. ;)

20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I disagree a bit here. Many of the mistakes were not unforced errors out of nowhere, but the mere result of CYF getting back everything that was thrown at her - and with interest too. So it was clear that TTY had to push the risk and go for the lines to have any chance to get the shuttle on the floor.
    She had like 3 minutes early in the decider when she seemed to have lost focus a bit, and that was all it took for CYF to open the crucial gap. Those are the small things that decide such a close match at some point.

#1500 s_mair, Aug 2, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    samkool, kwun, Woesi and 2 others like this.