Tai Tzu Ying ( 戴資穎 )

Discussion in 'Chinese Taipei Professional Players' started by limsy, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Taken from here http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2018-09-02/doc-ihinpmnr7483725.shtml

Recently, Tai Tzu Ying in one of her interviews with the Taiwanese media actually expressed that " hope I can win a medal at the Tokyo Olympics and then retire, that will be perfect."

[I'm surprised not so much by her intention to retire after Tokyo 2020 but more by the fact that she didn't say she's aiming for Olympic gold. For a child prodigy who started playing badminton at the age of 7 and began achieving significant successes in her teens, it's only to be expected that she starts young and ends her career earlier than the average, normal athlete. - Justin L]

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Another example that the goals of an athlete may differ from those of the fans.

I'm not surprised a bit that she considers a fairly early retirement at a possible peak of her career. I am surprised though that she openly speaks about it. Not hard to imagine that the media will pick this up during the preparation phase toward Tokyo and will keep asking her about this constantly.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

4. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

so its truly she plays for fun, not for fans or anyone's expected. Its gain some more of my respect for her

5. visor

visor Regular Member

s_mair and Sundis like this.
  6. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

^
    viktor is not mixed blood

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Well, at least he speaks Mandarin...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Seriously, those two would make the cutest badminton couple possible. And apart from the eurasian thing, Victor ticks all of her boxes (pun not intended).

visor likes this.
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, some netizens actually suggested Viktor but a few others thought her coach would make a good match, though both aren't Eurasians.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And another victory. TTY is unstoppable. :D

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

https://k.sina.com.cn/article_54577...tml?from=sports&subch=badminton&http=fromhttp

All the TPE Asian Games 2018 medalists received some cash rewards from sponsors:

Tai Yzu Ying, WS gold medalist, gets 200,000 NT$ (approx. USD6,490)
    Chou Tien Chen, MS silver medalist, 100,000 NT$ (approx. USD3,245)
    Lee Yang/Lee Jhe-Huei, MD bronze medalists, 50,000 NT$ (approx. USD1622)
    Men's Team Bronze medalists, 50,000 NT$

[I think the amount is so small that it's more symbolic than anything, as they say, such glory (or success) can't be measured in monetary terms - Justin L]

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It is still good to have a reward

13. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Even i thought that too. It is very small. Silver medalist Sindhu received 20 lakhs ($27,737)

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yeah, compared with what some other gold medallists are getting from what I gathered, e.g., you know what the INA get (off hand,I don't remember the details, cash, house, pension?); the KOR male gets exemption from military service in addition to a fair amount of cash; IND gold medalist gets Rs 40 lakh, silver gets 20 Rs lakh and Rs10 lakh for bronze; tennis gold winners, irrespective of nationality, also earn automatic qualification to Tokyo 2020 Olympics; even Filipinos receive P2 million for gold, about USD37,243, from the Philippine Sports Commission in addition to another P1 million, about USD18,621, from a private organization;just a sampling of what I found on the Internet.

visor and Baddyforall like this.
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

What the players get from the government is piddly squat compared to what they can get from sponsorship, advertising, commercials, appearances, etc.

Eg. TTY with Victor, EVA airways, Sharp, McDonald's (lol), Tutor ABC, etc.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes. And different sports get different prize money. Different badminton tournaments get different prize money. So what's your point?

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Nothing in particular, just to make some comparisons;one, badminton is not well rewarded;two, like you said, some other sports are better off.

Not to mention , TTY is given peanuts even by badminton standards, so much for winning the Asian Games gold, supposedly a major event for Asian sports.

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Exactly. It's the titles and the image that comes with it that earns the money later on. Also there is a huge difference between countries. Just an example - German government payed 20.000,- EUR for every Olympic Gold during the past Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. Whereas Italy is far more generous with 150.00,- EUR directly plus another 30.000,- EUR per year for the following four years. On the other end of the spectrum there is Sweden with 0,- EUR, zero, nada, noll.

(Source: https://www.sportschau.de/olympia/allgemein/praemien-fuer-medaillengewinner-in-pyeongchang-100.html)

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Well, looks like TTY can get off to go shopping earlier in Japan this time...

Seriously was she sick or something? She didn't seem to be present or show the slightest interest in playing at all...

20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I've said it before and I say it again - it was only a matter of timing when we will see her in a relaxation period and significantly out of form. It's physically not possible to keep a 95-100% form over a full season. And I'm not surprised a bit that it happens right after the season highlights WC and AG.

One might speculate if that early exit was planned or at least "tolerated" to get another week off, if you look at the the way she was acting between the rallies and her whole body language didn't show any signs of serious focus or trying to fight back at any point. And I think the phase after the mid game intervall in game 2 might be the worst half game I've seen from her in quite a while:

Wow. Just... wow....

Let's see if she we back closer to normal for the China Open next week.

visor likes this.