Tai Tzu Ying ( 戴資穎 )

Discussion in 'Chinese Taipei Professional Players' started by limsy, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Not working mate, been there done that.

stanleyfm, ashers888 and visor like this.
  2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I have no clue about Mcdonald’s in Taiwan but in Japan or Philippines there are some pretty “healthy” menus such as pasta with sausage or rice with chicken (ok fried one). But yes she scored a massive sponsorship deal...

visor likes this.
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

I wonder how she would feel if Yonex came calling on her... considering what had happened with the shoe controversy at Rio OG that contributed to her early exit.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I guess it would depend on the overall deal. I mean, one of the reasons for that Rio shoe disaster had been that she didn't have the chance to properly try the shoes before the tournament. I'm quite sure that she could find a matching racket and shoes from all the big brands if you give her some proper testing time.

But from what I can tell, she looks very comfortable with her current Victor deal. They have lost so many big endorsers over the past two years that she has become their undisputed endorsement queen.

Sundis and visor like this.
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

I suppose Victor being a TW company, she would/should stay with it... otherwise the optics would not look good for her if she jumps ship to Yonex of Japan or LiNing of China, even if their offers may be greater.

stanleyfm and s_mair like this.
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Oh right, that makes a lot of sense. A couple of weeks ago, I had business visitors from Taiwan and we ended up chatting about TTY and her current status amongst the locals. And they explained that her coming from a traditional Taiwanese middle class family and being so loyal to Taiwan (even skipping the WC for the Universiade last year) makes a huge part of her popularity. And hands down, she is smart enough to be aware of that.

Oh and that was not the first time that badminton has proven to be a great topic for business small talk to break the ice with people from Asia. Highly recommended and most of the times with really interesting insights.

stanleyfm and visor like this.
  7. esppy

esppy Regular Member

If McNuggets can propel Usain Bolt to a WR run, so can Big Mac and Filet O Fish!

Oh wait..... now I'm just getting images of nuggets superimposed on TTY's abs.... errrr.... 'scuse me.... brb

8. visor

visor Regular Member

So the 30 match streak is ended. Mental self destruction loss of focus in G3 after having taken G2 21-7 from HBJ. Must have been some 10 points given away thru unforced errors.

She and her coach really need to analyse and learn from this match (and other similar ones eg. MAS masters loss to RI) to see what needs to be done to prevent another reoccurrence. She has the physical skills but somehow this mental chink in her armour rears its ugly head once too often.

Sundis and s_mair like this.
  9. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

It’s like 18-0 patriots lost to giants in super bowl, or 73-win warriors lost to cavaliers. Hope she can rebound like those great teams.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Actually, it was only a matter of time when that winning streak will come to an end. But it is a huge surprise to me that this day was today against HBJ. I've only watched the last couple of rallies and TTY seemed to be completely out of focus mentally. Stamina wise she looked in a way better shape than HBJ so she definitely held all the cards in her hands there.

Anyways, HBJ must have done a lot of things right in that match too of course, so congrats to her and her coaches too. Not sure if losing that second game so easily was part of the whole game plan to catch some breath for the big fight in the decider. Looking at their previous matches, it could have been a smart choice since so many of them went down a similar path:
    - HBJ wins game 1
    - HBJ tries everything to finish in straight games, but still loses game 2 after a hard and exhausting fight
    - zero energy left for game 3 which made her an easy victim for TTY

But tbh TTY already seemed a bit tensed in the first two matches this week. Hard to put the finger on an exact issue, but somehow her movements and body language were missing a bit of the lightness and ease compared to what we've seen in the past couple of tournaments. So either we have seen a simple proof that she's not superhuman either, and not even she can escape certain ups and downs in physical form over a whole season, or it was simply the mental pressure of the season highlight that took its toll on her. Whatever the reason was, I'm sure she and her team will learn from it - same they did from an number of similar situations in the past.

visor likes this.
  11. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I think it's too easy and simple to just say that TTY lost because she committed too many unforced errors. Yes there were some unforced errors but nobody plays perfect sets of badminton.

If we were to take a closer analysis of the match, I could point out the following:
    - HBJ was playing with extreme accuracy with her lifts and clears. What was keeping TTY from attacking was the depth of her shots. In fact, in the third set most of TTY's shots at the back were right over the tramline with one foot outside the court. HBJ won alot of points by keeping TTY at the back.
    - HBJ played at a very good pace. Normally TTY is ridiculously deceptive but deception is only possible when you have time; she didn't have time in this match
    - In the second set TTY came back just as a champion would, and that was borderline a perfect set. In a way it helped HBJ because she didn't need to play a grinding set and lose 19-21, but that set is when TTY is basically unplayable.
    - In the third set TTY played at HBJ's pace. This was obvious because she started attacking (and missing) alot of shots trying to go for too much too early. There was a lack of patience as well as attacking at the right opportunities. This suggests that at this point she's feeling the psychological pressure from HBJ. She could have rallied HBJ to death because she's probably the fittest WS player right now but she didn't have enough confidence that she could win the longer rallies.

Overall I think HBJ truly played the game of her life, with several of those cut smashes hitting the line, and put alot of psychological pressure on TTY causing her to make more mistakes than usual. I still think if TTY was able to play like she did in the second set nobody right now can beat her.

My 2cents.

j4ckie, visor, Justin L and 2 others like this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Somehow it makes me sad that we won't see a TTY vs. Carolina semi final tomorrow. Cause hands down, what we see this week is by far the best Carolina Marin since Rio, or maybe even since forever. The way she thrashed Saina today was probably the closest thing to (legal) physical and mental assault you might get to witness on a badminton court.

EDIT:
    for reference

#992 s_mair, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Rob3rt and Cheung like this.
  13. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    What a waste that she lost today:(

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Plus, CM is not exactly favourite player for me.

j4ckie likes this.
  15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Mine neither. But I just can't help being highly impressed (scared?) by her latest performances. And you have to admire how much she's able to perpare spot on for one dedicated highlight.

melon94 and Cheung like this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well said, esp. the second point. Exactly, you need time to execute your deceptive shots with effect, otherwise , most likely, either you screw up or it backfires on you, unless your opponent is amateurish or too inexperienced to deal with it.

And , imho, the best way to gain time, apart from hoping your opponent is sluggish (seldom a good idea), is to anticipate the return shot , take it early and give yourself more options, including adding a dose of deception to your shot-making.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To be honest, if HBJ is going to lose to CM tomorrow, mainly for lack of stamina, I'd rather she didn't beat TTY today.

CM these few days is in devastating form, athletic and aggressive, sweeping all before her, practically destroying three good, worthy opponents, namely, Busanan , Sato and Saina. And, I've to admit, atm, only TTY at her best can stop Marin, the Spanish bull, the Screamer, whatever you call her.

Now, I'm afraid, HBJ has done the remaining semifinalists a huge favour by taking out TTY, and she herself is not the biggest beneficiary for I seriously doubt she has the stamina to pull it off in the last two rounds. I mean, how can HBJ's fitness issue be addressed in a mere three weeks after the INA Open when she was still visibly struggling with it.

Actually, I was thinking TTY's chances of lifting the WS world title is even higher than her male counterpart Kento Momota's, who originally had LCW as a likely impediment whereas TTY is the clear frontrunner. Now, like it or not, Marin is the hot favourite, unless Nozomi or Akane at their retrieving best and possessed of remarkable stamina can throw everything back at her to slow her down or tire her a fair bit so that the fight is more even, with chances for both sides. We'll see.

18. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yes, Carolina Marin is in super form. Never seen someone put other top players into so much movement pressure by picking up the pace like that. Maybe Lin Dan at the Olympics 2008. But even there Lee Chong Wei wasn't as late to the shots like Marin's opponents. Incredible. Hard to counter that form of play. She wins by taking every shot so early. Can't remember any shot Saina had time to play a proper shot. She was basically reacting the whole time. Only time for little movements of the forearm and wrist/fingers. Scintillating performance!

melon94, LenaicM and s_mair like this.
  19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'd call her the disgraceful nuisance but whatever, semantics :D

20. lurker

lurker Regular Member

yes, i noticed CM has toned up and put on quite some lean mass
    just looking at her shoulders from behind in the yonex sleeveless!

stanleyfm likes this.