Tai Tzu Ying ( 戴資穎 )

Discussion in 'Chinese Taipei Professional Players' started by limsy, Jun 19, 2010.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

"Tai has been admitted to the doctoral program of the Graduate Institute of Sports Training of her university."

Looks like her degree is in sports related field.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Hazeef likes this.
  2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

From university duties back to the badminton court.

Congrats for defending the Malysian Open title in '18. It seems as if she's playing in her own league currently once she shifts in the upper gears.

Edit:
    Just to add some moving pictures...

#922 s_mair, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    LenaicM likes this.
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

Is there even any female WS player that can match her in racket skills, court coverage, stamina and deception these days? She's a joy to watch with creative never-seen-before shots!

yf19-sama and s_mair like this.
  4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

A horror job to coach one of her opponents imo. For the life of me, I can't see any particular weakness in her game at all. You can basically only hope that she has a bad day at the office. If she appears on court in normal shape these days, there is nobody on the tour that can seriously challenge her. If she doesn't screw up herself, the WC title in WS will be a done deal.

visor and yf19-sama like this.
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You can a) force the pace so high she isn't able to do those deceptions effectively anymore or b) try to tire her out by drawing out the rallies/Match. However, you'll need to avoid running much more than she does, which is hard. A full-powered Marin might be a threat by sheer physical speed and force and high pace, if she can refine her net play and deceptions at the front, or a top shape Okuhara, who might just run her into the ground. Apart from that, maybe Sindhu on a day where every smash hits the line, so....about 2-3 in a year :D shes way too slow normally though.

Ithanon used to be her equal in terms of effortless, technically ingenious play, but she doesn't seem to have the weapons to hurt TTY these days....

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Absolutely agree, the only way to beat her is to pressure her in every single rally, to steal her the time she needs for her deceptions and to get in control of the match yourself. But let's face it, there's just no-one there who can do this over s while match at this point. So either one or more of the other ladies manage to step up their game significantly or you'll have to rely on luck only. Not a very motivating prospect for anyone on the other side of the court these days.

yf19-sama likes this.
  7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, call me a pessimist, but I don't think she'll be able to keep this high level for very long - she's bound to have a drop in Form eventually. Personally I just hope she'll get the WC Gold before :D

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I'm already impressed about how long she's been able to stay at this form. There is no doubt that she has a coaching team around her who know what they are doing. I have all fingers crossed for her to take that WC title this year but even more to reach the semi finals next year in Basel. I have my ticket for semi finals day already in the bag and TTY is a clear must-see!

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Then pray she even goes there :D

10. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Can she be the G.O.A.T for WS?

btw, who is considered current WS GOAT?

11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

People will tell you she needs Olympic Gold, WC Gold and Asian Games Gold for that.

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Oh yeah, good thinking. Need to check if there are any big badminton related things happening in Taiwan scheduled parallel to the '19 WC.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Someone doesn't like the ardent LD fans, huh? :D
    Although at this point I wouldn't call TTY the GOAT by any standard, she hasn't won a single major title yet. She'll get there though :D also her career has been too short to make such claims, at least given the aforementioned lack of major titles. If she somehow misses out on those but dominates the entire circuit for years on end, one can start that debate, but I feel it's way too early for that...
    Personally I believe you actually need some major title, as that pressure situation is actually a test of character and preparation as well, and you can't possibly be the GOAT without winning any WC/OG in the modern Era. One of the reasons why I'll never consider LCW the GOAT, he has done unparalleled things, but at the same time failed several times at that last hurdle, and you can't put all of that down to a mismatch or sth - he lost to a wide variety of opponents in WCs. His nerves in big finals just aren't strong enough.
    Me, I'm curious how TTY handles that, she has done well on the regular circuit, but let's see how she fares in a WC without any of the Rio sponsorship/shoe debacle to distract her :D

lurker and Rob3rt like this.
  14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm actually not sure there is a consensus on that. Indonesians will favor an Indonesian, Chinese will maybe vote for Zhang Ning, who knows...I personally don't know whether we have seen a clear dominance in WS as we have in LD's (and LCW's) prime. I wasn't interested enough to look for it either
    Even in WD it's up for debate now, although it's definitely a Chinese player :D

lurker likes this.
  15. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    WC / OG Titles or not the way she beats her opponents despite the variety of the profiles encountered makes me think She is a genuine candidate for G.O.A.T

She have the ability to pull that magical gear in key situations to flip situations upside down and have done that already several times (INCLUDING in TODAY's freaking FINAL lol).

At this point I don't need titles confirmation because I simply havent seen such character and talent on court regardless of the category due to the way she adapt on the situations.
    Sometimes it feel like the errors came from the fact she get bored and take more risk than she should in order to create challenge in the match.

Now I hope she could keep her form and stay vigilant on the tactical front, her intuition and guts will give her what peoples are expecting for her.
    She seem the kind of person who can be boosted for the big occasions.

16. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Should have beaten Sindhu Pusarala Venkata in Rio to sniff anywhere around the GOAT status.

Much Talent though.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Problem was her ill-fitting Yonex shoes causing blisters. And I think because of that missed chance she made a conscious effort to improve her physical condition.

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

[​IMG]

19. visor

visor Regular Member

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Just like LD should have beaten Susilo in Athens 2004, eh...? ;)