Swiss open Grand Prix Gold

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by renbo, Mar 13, 2017.

1. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The Swiss open starts today. Here is the official website :

http://www.swissopen.com/de/home/

The draw and results are conveniently displayed at this address :

http://bwfbadminton.com/results/2651/yonex-swiss-open-2017/2017-03-14

The tournament software link :

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/tournament.aspx?id=6273AD9A-7BEC-45DA-A677-E5E4165EFCC0

I won't present the draw like CLELY does it. I can only mention that the top two seeds in MS are LD and Shi Yuqi, in WS they are Zhang Beiwen and Chen Yufei, in MD Chai/Hong and Li/Liu, in WD Chen/Jia and Supajirakul/Taerattanachai, in XD Zheng/Chen and Jordan/Susanto.

Overall I have see much stronger Swiss open then this one. Only the MD seems quite competitive to me.

pcll99, badmuse and CLELY like this.
  2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

[​IMG]

Total prize-money : US$120,000

Tournament time-table : http://www.swissopen.com/en/current/daily-programme/

Basel time : http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzresult.php?CiID=13139&forma=Find Time

Tournament Official twitter : https://twitter.com/badswissopen?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Live Streaming : - http://videostream.dn.ua/videopage/videoPage.php?g=c2J2b2JoK2F0Y3ZsbmhZ&c=en&i=eWlhaXVidGd1bA№f№f
    - BWF youtube (semifinal and final only) :

2016 WINNERS => https://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/...5F0541-8BD9-4517-9F72-287E68CBB000&d=20160320

MS - H.S. Prannoy (IND)
    WS - He Bingjiao (CHN)
    MD - Kim Astrup/Anders Skaarup Rasmussen (DEN)
    WD - Shizuka Matsuo/Mami Naito (JPN)
    XD - Wang Yilu/Chen Qingchen (CHN)

As renbo mentioned above, MS top-two seeds are occupied by Lin Dan-Shi Yuqi who clashed at semifinal of just concluded All England Open. Some familiar names in the fray will feat defending champion H.S Prannoy, Verma Brothers, TPE rising star Wang Tzu Wei, Brice Levedez, Indonesians Ihsan Mustofa and Anthony Ginting, Danish teenager Anders Antonsen and two Chinese back-ups Qiao Bin, Huang Yuxiang. Women's singles discipline portrays weak line-up this time, top-seed Saina Nehwal pulled out leaving Zhang Beiwen becomes the highest seeded player here. China young squad consists of Chen Yufei, Chen Xiaoxin and Zhang Yiman in the main draw, Indonesia also brings last week AE bound player, Fitriani and Dinar Dyah Ayustine while TPE will banking on Hsu Ya Ching and Chiang Mei Hui.

A stiff competition is expected for MD department with last year winner Astrup/Rasmussen, three China pairs Chai/Hong-Li JH/Liu YC-Liu C/Zhang N, Rio bronze medalists Ellis/Langridge and TPE combinations Chen HL/Wang CL, Lu CY/Yang PH will eye top prize. Chen Qingchen has opportunity to create double doubles here, she will redeemed AE disappointment to do well in Basel. Chen/Jia are slated to meet Haris/Sari in last eight, followed by Vivian Hoo/Woon KW in semifinal, on paper scenario the Chinese duo possibly will cruise to last round. Mixed doubles strong favourite, Zheng/Chen will face tricky test, Indonesian Prasetya/Saufika at opening round, their closest rival to nail XD crown will coming from former All England champion Jordan/Susanto also their teammates Zhang N/Li YH, both of these pairs are drawn at bottom half.

Men's singles first round (R/64) is scheduled on 06.00pm local time : https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/matches.aspx?id=6273AD9A-7BEC-45DA-A677-E5E4165EFCC0

kiran borkar and badmuse like this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

This must be the weakest player line-up at the Swiss Open in like forever. :(
    Apart from the great Lin Dan and Shi Yuqi (plus the new German hope Fabian Roth) and maybe some interesting XD matches, there are not many reasons this year to go there. Especially WS is a joke. Beiwhen Zhang as top seed? Come on...

I've watched the finals live for the past three years, but this year I'm not sure if it will be worth the 2.5 hours drive. The only reason I could imagine is to see Lin Dan live (if he'll have enough motivation to even make it to the finals..). You never know how many more years he will be around on the tour.

To schedule the Swiss Open directly after the AE maybe once was a good idea to make some of the stars from Asia stay in Europe a week longer. But it seems like more of them use the German Open these days to warm up for the AE. With so many SS(P) tournaments during the season, it gets harder and harder to get the top stars to play at GPG events.

#3 s_mair, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    SYQ has ankle injury, will he play?

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd say with some changing of the guards going on post-Olympics, the GPG is usually the place for the younger generation future stars to prove themselves and shine. Just because most of the usual suspects are absent, esp after the bigger tournaments such as the AE, doesn't really make it much less interesting or entertaining to watch.

Again, as in the German open GPG, with 64 participants in the MS, it requires six rounds to win the title.

badmuse likes this.
  6. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

HS Prannoy's kit bag was misplaced by Lufthansa.

#6 badmuse, Mar 14, 2017
    kiran borkar likes this.
  7. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Really !. That's awful.

8. Baddyforall

Sourabh verma complained to Umpire about his opponent two times . I don't know for whatever reason it is, he should have left it behind and continued playing as usual. But he simply lost the touch in 3rd game completely.

And i have to say, that Denmark player , if at all, he wants to move further in his career, he need to control his emotions and he got away with 'f***' word more than twice. Umpire did not even warn him . But at the end, after Sourabh came to shake his hands, rasmus even shouted like mad at his face with some words which umpire warned him. But what for? After the completion, there is no need for warning at all.

kiran borkar likes this.
  9. Baddyforall

Brice Leverdez playing Men's doubles.

10. Master

Master Regular Member

Will some new champion will appear in this tournament?

Anyone knows about Xue Song? Why he didn't played?

11. Master

Master Regular Member

Brice Leverdez playing MD with Ronan Labar

Gabriela Stoeva
    playing XD with Bjorn Seguin

wow... interesting trial :rolleyes:

I notice Brice Leverdez also playing MD in the past (so long time ago) :cool:

visor likes this.
  12. Master

Master Regular Member

Prannoy have already a solution for his match ahead

It's seems you didn't mention that tweet.... (in between his first and last tweet that you posted here)

The perception will be different.

13. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I think to be there without racquet is no problem, but be there without shoes is a big one. I don't know how Prannoy dealt with that

14. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Lim Swee King also played MD in his later years (& won a few) before retiring-- some professional players actually love the game and want to play it as long as they can....

But I thought that Ronan is in the National Team while Brice isn't? Anyway, it's great that French, M'sian, Indonesian, etc.. badminton federations are cool with having collaborations outside their national teams.

But man, Brice sure looks beat after playing 3 qualifiers in the same day....

#14 Forestal, Mar 14, 2017
  15. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Baminton V and Badminton Stamp have uploaded the qualification rounds to youtube, and it seems like no one is giving Lin Dan any "face" nowadays-- all the youngsters are going at him full bore and he just has to keep up with the pace, even though he is not really troubled by them...lol

Of course, GPG are 3rd tier tournaments for people interested in watching out for rising or even retiring talents-- but with Lin Dan in the mix, is anyone taking bets or making polls on who might be able to take him out? Shi Yuqi, Huang Yuxiang, Anders Antonsen, Emil Holst, Wang Tzu Wei? Not that optimistic about Jonathan Christie and Anthony Ginting, because they play more controlling games-- which is essentially "playing into" Lin Dan's hand.

Not that I have any doubt about Lin Dan's skills per se, but he is in his 3rd tournament in 3 weeks and his fitness/conditioning is nowhere near Lee Chong Wei to begin with-- it will only takes one gruelling 3-game match to "destroy" his chances for the next round...

#15 Forestal, Mar 14, 2017
  16. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Probably still recovering.... yeah, it's so normal for young new players to hurt themselves every time they go out into competition that the Chinese are wondering if Li Yongbo's training regimen/ style is responsible...

17. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

The Umpire can sanctioned/ fine players for ALL ON-COURT (& I don't mean just within the playing area/ service lines) behaviour-- the Umpire was just warning Rasmus to tone it down... as he was still shouting and celebrating when he came up to shake Verma's hand.

Again, the rules are there to prevent the intimidation of opponents/ judges (even audience), not to enforce your ideas of "courtesy/ etiquette"-- I mean, how are the judges suppose to be proficient in the expletives and nuances of all the languages and cultures of the competitors, lol? As long as he is not intimidating anyone, interrupting play, etc., Rasmus can scream anything as long as he wants.

E.g. Jan O Jorgensen was once fined for kicking the racquet towards the audience area in celebration after winning a match: it didn't really reach the audience and I'm sure Jan wasn't aiming to do that-- but the fine was certainly justified from the Umpire's point of view-- no one wouldn't be able to tell precisely how hard or where Jan was kicking the racquet from behind.

Watch a few more tournaments, learn more about the rules of competition, and ask more questions-- before starting to play social justice warrior....

And as for Verma, great racquet skills but needs work on his rallying skills i.e. needs more fitness and tactics to stay and last longer in rallies-- see Lucas Claerbout's win over Shimono Hashiru, where he stayed in the game (3 deuced games, no less) with Peter Gade's footwork (& without getting injured like the Chinese players keep doing)... I thought it was weird that Peter Gade started training the French team in their footwork/ defence rather than the trick shots/ attacks, but they are all important aspects of the game.

18. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Leverdez's footwork was always very good, but for the other players it was/is awful. PG have to work on that for sure, before anything else.

19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

I guess, it's only slight injury, he beat Czech Rep. player Jan Frohlich in sraight-sets at midnight.

Xue Song took part some tourneys post terrible injury at IND Open 2016 but the outcomes were far from expected, he played on China Badminton league recently.

MS first round saw the longest durations match, French player Lucas Claerbout needed 91 minutes to eliminate Hashiru Shimono in really close scoreline, 24-22 / 21-23 / 23-21. Two Danish shuttlers Emil Holst and the youngster Anders Antonsen got scary escape to clear first hurdle, NED Erik Meijs and Finnish MS Kalle Kaljonen.

ROUND OF 32
    (09.00am) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...73AD9A-7BEC-45DA-A677-E5E4165EFCC0&d=20170315

20. Baddyforall

You started judging ! . I don't know what is that all about . I have been watching badminton for more than 4 years now. Umpires should have some rules to follow regarding the on court behaviour of players.

I have watched many players getting warning from umpires if they use 'f***' w0rd. That's why said that.