Swiss Open 2007 - Frank Assessment By Tony Gunawan

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by abedeng, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. little_bird

little_bird Regular Member

According to Tony's wife, they flew in together from different countries to participate in a tournament, that means they never practise together, it's all about the previous understanding that they've.

Amazing, isn't it? ;-)

2. little_bird

little_bird Regular Member

Yes, they're legends indeed.
    It's also worth mentioning that even Tony's wife is so humble, hats off to them.

3. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

wow that's really amazing
    didnt practise together and can enter at least semis
    cool
    imagine what will happen if they practise together full time.
    will be exciting.
    hope to see that happen.
    good to hear that Tony's wife is also humble.
    by the way, how do u know that little_bird?
    u met his wife before?
    if i am not mistaken his wife came for MO rite?
    i saw a lady sitting beside him but not sure who is she.
    to me a real champion is not only a good player on court but also is nice and humble off court.
    and that's why i say they are true champions

4. ronnie14

ronnie14 Regular Member

huhu,both go bald? yeay! i like dat idea..ehhehe

5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    And one more thing.. these 2 guys doesnt have Coaches to coach them during the tournament. They just go at it is. However hats off to both of them. True sportman and the the game at it is.. no coach! And they still do well.

6. IndoAmerican

IndoAmerican Regular Member

Tony is in US most the time and Chandra is in INA, so they practice separately. In terms of being in tournament, shall we say they're self-coached in most tournaments?! However, at least in one tournament I saw in video that they were coached by someone who spoke Indonesian at MO final against KKK/TBH.

Eti (Tantra) Gunawan is his wife and yes she was with Tony at MO after a short return to INA for their long-over-due wedding reception with their family back in December 2006.

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yup agreed, i do remember in the AE that the indonesian doubles coach was having a word with tony and candra during the intervals. maybe he's just giving his observations on the day, and not really 'coaching' them before the tournaments.

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    While I am happy that MAS has at least a MD to cheer about and to provide some challenge to CHN to make this game more exciting. TG/CW are legend in badminton, esp TG to win with different partners, therefore to say they play second fiddle to KK-TBH, well that is too harsh and disrespectful, after all if I am no mistaken, the game went 3-set. Sometimes when you are winning, let's be humble and not arrogant...the tide could change, what if KKK-TBH does not wint WC or OG, are MAS supporters jump off the band-wagon and bash them. Also remember when KKK-TBH play for the first time this year, how many people criticize Rexy for what a stupid move to disband KKK-CCM partnership? Humble is a virtue and keeps us more down to earth....;)

9. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Hmm, let's see now. Without much practice and minimal (if any) coaching, for the last 6 months, Tony/Candra has:-

1. Won Japan Open
    2. Made MAS Open SS final
    3. Made KOR Open SS semis
    4. Made AE SS semis (tough luck, lost a very close encounter - literally on a broken string to give match point)
    5. Made Swiss Open SS semis (where Tony had just 1 "bad game")

That is great performance by any standard ...... wish they could play in WC and Olympics (even if Tony has to play for Indonesia). Other than Koo/Tan and Eriksen/Lundgaard, I don't see any other pair with such consistency.

10. Dimduo_81

Dimduo_81 Regular Member

I will always regard Tony Gunawan a Badminton legend. He has made his mark and has proven he was and is. Look at his achievements so far. He was fantastic no matter who he plays with... Best thing is, having a legend without an air. I guess, that contributes to his success. I wish to see him play in WC, however he MIGHT NOT? Can someone clarify?

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Because he is playing for USA and Candra for INA. WC and Olympic rules don't allow mix and match.

12. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

If you word it like above, I seem guilty of disrespect. But if you read the context of my reply to an earlier message, it was referring to the fact that TG/CW were not practising and only coming together on tournament day and I said that would not win them tournaments and they would end up playing 2nd fiddle to KKK-TBH.

What I alluded to was if they do not practise (and just roll up for tournaments) they might as well hang up their boots --- they will not beat KKK-TBH who practice like there is no tomorrow. Hope you now understand what was said. I have the greatest respect for TG/CW.

#32 X Ball, Mar 26, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  13. Dimduo_81

Dimduo_81 Regular Member

Make sense. Sadden by the fact that TG/CW will not be playing. Aren't there other arrangements, like bend some rules or stg? Or is Tony arranging to play for Indonesia?

14. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I think it is good for TG/CW to sit out for a while, and maybe practise (nobody will bend the rules for them unfortunately).

The other thing which might annoy Indonesians if I say it here is : "what is the possibility of Wijaya becoming a US citizen like TG" ? If is unlikely TG would return to Indonesia. DON'T attack me on the statement, it is only a little supposition.:D

15. Dimduo_81

Dimduo_81 Regular Member

I think that would be cool! :p

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-For your references..

...you can visit this thread: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41607 and read starting from post #11..;)
    And for this one, you can see it in this thread: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33672&page=2 (starting w/post #36) or you can read all the posts..;)

#36 ctjcad, Mar 27, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  17. lina_ngchiuhwa

lina_ngchiuhwa Regular Member

Clerk
    I'm sure that TG-CW will be feature in the WC this year. I think Tony would be represent as Indonesian player b'coz he's still not a permanent resident in the U.S.

18. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

I hope for a TG/CW vs KKK/TBH final. Not bad to see LWW/CTF in final too. give this veteran pair a chance..

19. lina_ngchiuhwa

lina_ngchiuhwa Regular Member

Clerk
    Yeah. Not bad if we can see a LWW/CTF vs TG/CW final.

20. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

this is called the battle of veterans. experience versus experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.